WW II RN FAA Camouflage

rodenlee

Hello all

I have a number of WWII 1:48 RN FAA aircraft to build of both US and British origin. I am having difficulty in establishing if the camouflage demarkations are hard or soft edged and the model paits which best match the actual colours.

I would appreciate any guidance on these points.

Additionally, does anyone know of a good reference source (hard or soft copy) for camouflage colours and schemes etc?

Thank you for any thoughts.

Cheers

Shaun

HI Shaun, and welcome as it's your first post.

without being funny or trying to lecture you, that's a LOT of questions, or perhaps that's just because of the threads I have read here on the subject!

More specific questions get better answers here, try to make the thread heading a clear precise question, and you will get good answers.

I hope the following gives you some ideas and pointers for this.

Camo guide?

for the early part of the war, try this

31zd5LRNMiL._.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fleet-Air-Camouflage-Markings-Mediterranean/dp/1905414080/ref=la_B0034Q8RYI_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385772140&sr=1-1

The author post here under a pseudonym BTW.

Part two is a work in progress, unfortunately this is a way down the line, as that's the volume I want :(

I note you ask about US supplied planes, the short is that initially they were painted in British specified colours, but when Lend-Lease got into full swing tended to in equivalent colors, which were US paints.

[note when searching to try both the UK and US spellings of color ]

In the case of the Avenger, Grumman built planes in British spec, Eastern built planes in US paint. The internal colors vary depending on which plant built them as well!

This then affect the British Mk number as well, Grumman = MkI, Eastern = MkII, you need a serial to get the US subtype though, but this is all out there if you ask!

One tip, the search here works very well, as long as you know what you are looking for!!! I mostly use google, add britmodeller to your search term, and try that.

There will be answer's to a lot of what you ask already here, buried in various threads. Also worth looking up the specifics of the kits you have, as build threads can turn up pitfall and useful tweaks, as well as colour info as well.

Remember to bookmark them as it's easy to lose track though!

Try the above suggestion on the Avenger, I know there are several threads here on that very subject. Also for US built planes, Hyperscale Plane Talking is very good.

Hard or soft edge depends on what it is, when it was built etc etc.

Try image searches on google for some general guidance, then ask more specifically.

There are some excellent colour photos available if you google up 'etienne du plessis flickr' and look for the photos of RAF and SAAF aircraft set. A great resource.

Also, search the IWM site, many many photos, and decent scans too.

This shows you have tried to find the answer and not been lazy, and can also turn up an interesting question, that can in turn get answers and information you didn't even know you wanted to know!

Model paints, do you want enamel or acrylic? Do have a preferred brand?

Specific acrylics are made by Xtracrylix, and enamels by Xtracolor [both by Hannants], and White Ensign do a range too. Equivalents are in the Humbrol range, and certain colours and specific mixes are available for tamiya acrylics.

Again, a more specific question will get better answers.

OK, this should give some pointers. It may seem overwhelming, and it can be, as there is a phenomenal amount of intformation available if you take the time to search and ask the right questions!

Except for the specifics of the navigators's position fitted in FAA Avengers from what I have read

cheers

T

• Like 1

Hi Troy

Thank you very much for your comprehensive response!

I will most certainly chase up the book you have suggested and the other references.

I have a feeling that I will be making many visits to this site...

Thanks again for your help Troy.

Regards

Shaun

Hi, Shaun,

Paints: For any British made plane, the "usual suspect" trio of Extra Dark Sea Grey, Dark Slate Grey and Sky are best represented "out of the tin" by Xtracolour and WEMM in enamels, and Xtracrylixs in acrylic. The beauty is that three tins will suffice for all the collection.

For the American made aircraft painted in the so called "substitute" colours (google "ANA Bulletin n° 157" to get some background) the colours you are looking for are a good Olive Drab (my favourite is good ol' Humbrol 108, but WEMM's "ANA 613 Olive Drab" is also good), a colour called ANA 603 "Sea Grey" (there was a Humbrol Authentic one; otherwise, any FS36118 will put you in the ballpark); for the undersurface, just desaturate the Sky colour with some Light Grey.

Camouflage Demarcations: For the colour scheme, if your kits (or decal sheets) are "modern", their instructions will do (otherwise you could download many of them from the internet); do not disregard them, they are a good starting point. The question of the "hard/soft demarcation", I am afraid has to be answered on an ad hoc basis. I would use "hard demarcation" for early to mid period British made aircraft; soft for the American or late Brit made ones.

Bibliography: you could start by googling "Fleet Air Arm" and conducting a search on any download engine. I would suggest two authors, "McKay" and "Sturtivant" as search words.

Yours,

Fernando

for the undersurface, just desaturate the Sky colour with some Light Grey.

Yours,

Fernando

Hi Fernando

I have measured ANA and MAP standard swatches for ANA 610 (Sky) and Sky. The ANA 610 Sky is actually slightly darker and more saturated than the MAP colour! The Munsell values are as follows:-

ANA 610 = 1.6 GY (Green Yellow) 6.5/1.8

MAP Sky = 4.5 GY 7.2/1.7

The difference between the two is 5.44 where < 2.0 = a close match. The ANA 610 has a visibly stronger, darker chroma.

The ANA is closest to FS 24424 @ 2.76 whilst the MAP is closest to 34424 @ 2.26, the finish of the FS values - semi-gloss and matt - accounting for the difference in measured saturation. The reflectivity of both FS values at approx 42.4% is close to the original Sky which was 43%.

This is probably academic for most modellers because by the time allowance is made for variance in paint batches, weathering and scale effect (if desired) I doubt there would be much appreciable difference in perception between the two.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1