Helicopter crashes into Glasgow pub

HammerUK9

Always the same in this situation. As soon as facts point in the direction of pilot error, anybody picking up on that faces hostility and reference is made to "wait for the final report". Which, once public interest has died down, comes to the same conclusions. I used the term "elephant in the room" for a reason.

No, I'm not qualified on the EC-135. But I know what "on" and "off" means when it comes to sending electricity to a pump. And I can read a simple hydraulic schematic as the one published in that report. This information is not put there by accident.

• Like 1

Always the same in this situation. As soon as facts point in the direction of pilot error, anybody picking up on that faces hostility and reference is made to "wait for the final report". Which, once public interest has died down, comes to the same conclusions. I used the term "elephant in the room" for a reason.

No, I'm not qualified on the EC-135. But I know what "on" and "off" means when it comes to sending electricity to a pump. And I can read a simple hydraulic schematic as the one published in that report. This information is not put there by accident.

You're not getting the hostility coz of what you say, but how you say it. You're coming across as an arrogant and crassly insensitive boor who seems to be trying to point score. Do not forget 9 people died as a result of this accident and several others were seriously injured. I would hardly consider this an appropriate arena for you to be 'giving it the big I am' and making out that you've managed to determine the cause of this accident based on an interim report which is devoid of all the facts as the investigation is still ongoing.

Mark.

Folks, stop the pointless bickering. Leave that for PPRuNe. There's no need for it on this site.

All accidents have a degree of 'Human Factors' input, and I for one am expecting to see a significant degree of HF causation in this one. Note, however, that Human Factors does not necessarily equate to 'Pilot Error'.

Within the industry, though, while theories might be discussed privately, as a rule they won't be discussed publicly. That's why, for example, the speculating 'talking heads' on TV news broadcasts are always obscure 'experts' but never current pilots or engineers.

Wait and see, but please stay respectful! After all, that's a key feature of BM.

Jon

• Like 3

Reading this thread with interest I did not think anyone was coming across as "an arrogant and crassly insensitive boor who seems to be trying to point score" so please guys just try and moderate comments on all sides and keep it interesting to those of us who are not pilots or have engineering degrees.

Thanks

Julien

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Best you send your thoughts to the AAIB as soon as you can cos they've prob missed it..........

You are right about hostility regarding an armchair pundit mentioning pilot error. Unless you are on the final Board of Enquiry or are qualified to make comment, it does tend to raise the hackles of us aviators.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Well the AIB report is out;

https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/media/5628ea4ded915d101e000008/3-2015_G-SPAO.pdf

Due to the absence of flight data recorder we know what happened but not why. Sad really as those families need closure and this does not give that to them. No critisisum of the AIB they only report the facts as they find them and do not seek to apportion blame, something those reporting on it would do well to remember.

RIP to all the victims.

Julien

• Like 4