Spitfire K5054 (1:48 AlleyCat)

Mike

I picked this up from Ali at Telford, and have been working on it since. The aircraft went together really well, and if I'd been painting it one of the "painted" schemes, I'd have been done last week in all probability. As is my wont at the moment though, I chose the tricky scheme over which there's a lot of conjecture and gainsay, with the most reliable 1st hand description being that it was a "yukky green" on the first flight (thanks Edgar!). I was pointed at the AloChrom anodising substitute dip/paint that is still in use these days, and suddenly it all clicked. It's kind of a sour greeny/yellow, and it appealed to me, so I went for it. I also ignored the usual red panel in the chin, mainly because I felt like it ^_^

The kit goes together very well, and I'd originally intended to pose the canopy open, so I didn't fettle the opener much, but after all that paint and varnish it didn't fit too well over the fixed section. I did a little sanding to improve the fit, but it's not too good I'm afraid. If I'd decided to go with a closed canopy from the outset, I'd have done it differently. No use crying over spilt milk though :shrug:

Painted in Alclad metallics with an overspray of a bespoke mix that I cooked up from their clear range, including green, yellow, and a littl blue, and lots of Aqua Gloss in between. The final finish was muted by their Light Sheen varnish, and some mild weathering done with oils.

On with the pics - sorry about the dust, but I missed it after I'd polished the decals, and I'm too tired to re-take the photos again, as my back is killing me :owww:

complete1.jpg

complete2.jpg

complete3.jpg

complete4.jpg

complete5.jpg

complete6.jpg

complete7.jpg

complete8.jpg

Good points:

Quick build due to low part count and good fit

Helpful instructions, with only the PE parts causing me to scratch my head

Lovely detail in the nose area

Choice of fit and finish depending on when in its career you want to model it

All gear legs and the long pitot probe have metal cores

Things to watch out for

Wash the resin thoroughly, or your paint won't stick. Key the surface with a very fine sanding stick

Fill the grooves in the backs of the gear legs if you aren't using the gear doors

Make sure you fettle the canopy if you're posing it closed, and beware of the fit once the layers of paint are on if you intend to leave it open

The decals are very thin, and the codes are printed individually, so you have to apply them separately. They can curl up on themselves if you're not quick once they're clear of the backing paper, so it may be an idea to slide them from the film to the model

This is a prototype, which changes configuration almost daily, so check the scheme/period you want to model, and find out what was installed where at that point

Bad points:

Decals have a slight printing pattern in the blues which I suspect are too light

Clear resin canopies aren't always the clearest when compared to vacformed alternatives

Conclusion:
A thoroughly enjoyable build, although mine had a hiatus while I mulled over the colours of the first flight "primer" scheme - whether I'm right or wrong is moot, but I'm quite pleased with the way it came out, although it's no show winner as usual, due to my little slip-ups.

The build thread is here, the review here and thanks to Ali for the review sample.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of
logo.gif

• Like 19

Fab Mike! :)

I only hope mine comes out anywhere near as nice. The panel variations are spot on.

I was considering getting some miracle masks for the markings - maybe thats a good idea with the decal issues you had?

Anyway - it looks gorgeous..

Guy

Let's see: (and I'm no photo-edit wiz, so forgive the attempt)

SpitfireK5054.jpg

completebw_zpse6783c11.jpg

Note the reflection from the "block of ice".

bob

p.s. How 'bout a family snap with K5054 and the Supermarine 224 together?

Edited by gingerbob

Very Nice Mike. Was the problem with the fixed portion of the canopy being too wide? If so, how I've tackled this sort of issue and if it lends itself to it, I carefully cut down the centre of the central frame line parting the part into two parts. Then sand the cuts, thus reducing the width, and dry fit or lightly tack the two portions together with PVA, together until you get a good fit. This method really would only work well if the canopy has a centre line framework. With the Spitfire fixed rear portion one could almost get away with it by polishing out the join.

Good comparo Bob - my angle is a bit out because of my sparkly ice-block, and I probably could have done with more variation in panel tones, but she'll do. :shrug:

Paul - the canopy was a bit tight in places, and loose in others. All I'd done previously was cut it off the block and clean up the edges, fitting the windscreen for the best seamline, without too much care whether the canopy and windscreen fitted together because of the plan to pose it open. By the time all the paint was on the various parts though, the tolerances were that tight that it sat up a little bit too much, and I was worried about breaking it, so I fudged the fit as best I could at the time. Looking back at it, it looks like it slipped a bit during the photos, so looks worse than it could have, but I've since glued it down with a couple of dabs of GS-Hypo front and rear :)