Helicopters with UNPROFOR 1992/3

conor1939

Hi :)
I'm thinking about dioramas, and was wondering who, if anyone, operated the Twin Huey in Bosnia during the early UN operations. I've found this photograph but I can't be sure of the helicopter's operator... any help would be much appreciated :)

121853.jpg

The only concrete info I can find on the picture above is that it is 'a United Nations helicopter on Route to Zagreb Airport from Sarajevo' 4. September 1992.

However, I am going to make an educated (haha) guess that it is a Canadian CH-135. Canada operated the CH-135 from 1972-1998, so it fits in with the timeframe. As far as I can make out, Canada had a prominent role in the opening of Sarajevo Airport in 1992.

Also, here0819406.jpgis a picture of a CH-135 at the RCAF memorial museum, in UN livery.

Further to that, here is a picture of a CH-135 evacuating a wounded UN soldier in Bosnia, 1994

A1RKCNA.jpg

So yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it is a Canadian CH-135. Sorry I can't give any more info than that.

Daryl.

No problem. Trying to find stuff out like that really interests me, so it was fun snooping around the 'net trying to get some answers.
As a fun side-fact; the CH-135 pictured at the museum was the first CH-135 made. Guess that's why it's in a museum, eh?

Still, unless anyone can conclusively say so, don't take my word as gospel!

Daryl.