1/144 Comet 1 - South African Airways

MikeW

SAA was the first airline in the world - after BOAC of course - to operate jet aircraft. This is the F-Rsin 1/144 model, built out of the box, depicting G-ALYY "Yoke Yoke", the last Comet to crash before the grounding and subsequent discovery of metal fatigue.

In memoriam to Captain Mostert, crew and passengers, heading to South Africa on 8 April 1954.

Cheers,

Mike

SA1_zpsf9c54a92.jpg

SA2_zps32e785cd.jpg

SA3_zps1830544a.jpg

SA4_zps6b8d7e11.jpg

• Like 3

Outstanding

Good model of a Comet . The SAA markings make it really interesting too. Your mention of Captain Mostert, crew and (14) pax was a nice touch.

More info on that last flight.

Goto South African Airways flight 201 wiki. My copy and paste has gone west!

Thanks for all the kind remarks. Considering the level of craftmanship that is exhibited by the postings on this forum, it does take a lot of chuzpah for someone with my, 'serious room for improvement' skills to post a model.

But I have already found that 'playing with the big boys' is improving things. Now while building I'm thinking "if I end up posting this, I need to get this part better"

The only people who generally come into my den, where the models are displayed, would not know the difference between The Death Star and a DC-9 - mind you I can think of a few flights into New York La Guardia on a DC-9 where I'd have been interested in what the Death Star had to offer.

Thanks aagin,

Cheers,

Mike