Evening all,

This has been a real labour of love, I bought this kit on the 16th Aug 2003 from OTW designs,

as it would happen life got in the way and coupled with a slightly warped hull I popped the build to one

side and forgot about it. I spied the hull 82.7 inches of it in the loft and decided to have ago again.

After years of storage and a few moves thrown in she suffered some slight damage to the brass work.

I've repaired most of the broken bits and cleaned up some of the decking as after 11 years its tarnished a bit ...

Link to Bob Dimmacks company who make the semi kit.

http://www.otwdesigns.com/

The conning tower is a fibreglass molding with a PE deck, all the fitting are either accurate armour or scratch built.

CIMG3108_zpscff70ecc.jpg

CIMG3107_zpsdfec2338.jpg

CIMG3106_zps8c73928f.jpg

CIMG3111_zps33a95d36.jpg

CIMG3113_zps2c10163b.jpg

CIMG3112_zps3c510664.jpg

CIMG3105_zpse4f3b7e0.jpg

CIMG3110_zps2d6aa55d.jpg

CIMG3109_zps0e8f7a22.jpg

More to follow when it's light outside, the hull is 7ft long so quite difficult to get a good picture of.

Dan

• Like 4

The phone pics you sent the other day don't do the PE deck and brass Wintergarten justice... very nice work. A long-term project, or are you going for a world speed record? :)

The phone pics you sent the other day don't do the PE deck and brass Wintergarten justice... very nice work. A long-term project, or are you going for a world speed record? :)

Cheers Mike, It will be a slow build I'm afraid, load of hardware need to scratch built, mainly the Water tight compartment mounting kit, battery compartments and a false deck adding to support the weight of the conning tower. The deck is .20 etched brass and quite flimsy. The idea is to hold the deck with magnets. I have my work cut out for me as the hull still requires about 80 free flood holes to be cut and filed yet.

Looking at sea trails late next year.. Also I must thank Longshanks, he helped me a lot 11 years ago when the kit arrived. I know he will have nightmares when he see this out again :weep: He did say " Are you chuffin mad !" when I told him ..

Dan

OMG :banghead::mental:

That's brought back memories. . . . . :suicide:

Hammer House of Horrors !!

Amazed the wintergarten is still in one piece :winkgrin:

Hurry up and get the rubbish bits and pieces done I cant wait to see the paint job . . . .

I can picture it now mounted on the brick work in the lounge :evil_laugh:

Cheers Kev

Edited by longshanks

I too bought this kit back in the mists of time and even worse than you other than some basic clean up have do nothing and I guess will sit their as a possible retirement project.

As MIke says your pics don't do your work justice, having the kit I know how much work has gone into getting as far as you have. I bought the full accurate Armour conning tower kit and toyed with the idea of replacing the kit part wholesale, but in hindsight for a fully functioning model I think it will give centre of gravity issues and like you will just use the detail parts.

Here is a finished one, not mine I hasten to add:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG-4_Sl5y4A

Marty...

• Like 1

Small update on progress so far,

The mighty 88 mm deck gun, I've lost a few pieces somewhere so I've dropped Accurate Armour a mail so try and get hold

of the missing items. Anyhow here is where I'm at with this so far.

CIMG3125_zpsf8baaa4d.jpg

The compass housing which sits in from of the conning tower, I've cut some square holes in the side to give the hatch which sits over it some depth,

I think its for an outside air supply and fuel oil intake fillers, once the hatch covers are on then you will see what I mean.

CIMG3129_zpsa888df15.jpg

CIMG3128_zpsc4fc0936.jpg

The Attack periscope housing, the supplied item is too short to fit so I made another one from brass tube and wire.

CIMG3127_zps24567d68.jpg

CIMG3126_zps726e175e.jpg

More later :-)

Dan

• Like 1

The famous 88mm deck gun, deleted from the late war boats as they surfaced only to

recharge batteries and vent the boats. This is the Accurate Armour gun and a very nice bit of kit it is too.

The elevation and depression hand wheels have had brass pins fitted to make them a little more robust, as this will be on a working model

it need to take a bit more abuse than a static display kit. I'm yet to fit the crew station supports as they are white metal and look a little flimsy.

Might have to replace them with brass.

The wire around the barrel is for the waterproof tampon as it was called, stopped the seawater from entering the barrel.

Here are the pictures so far.

CIMG3130_zpse1afc37c.jpg

CIMG3132_zps376c3a11.jpg

CIMG3131_zps0ad59e39.jpg

CIMG3134_zpsad9c84c5.jpg

CIMG3135_zps9ca86d0d.jpg

CIMG3133_zpsbe6ce4c9.jpg

More pictures as we progress

Cheers

Dan

• Like 1

Don, just saw this and had to check in. You are doing great job on this project. I've never seen this before. Do you mind telling me how long is this sucker?

Mike

Hi Mike,

The hull is about 2.2m long so she's quite big.

Regards

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of an update, I've been working on the internals over the past

week, fitting the servos fro the rudder, rear dive planes and forward dive planes,

I've made up the the control linkages in brass which will need fitting in the near future.

I'll post some pictures later so you can all see the brains of the model.

Regards

Dan