Revell Lynx Mk88 to an RN HAS Mk3 in refurb...

heloman1

Hi Tony, many thanks, under the current circumstances with Gilian, I'm not getting as much time on it as I would like. Good news is her sister arrives on Friday, which should take the pressure off me for a while, they can natter all day. Then Gillian goes into dock for her first chemo session on the 30th, so hopefully I'll get some more time but then again, as it's a 45 k each way trip into George x five days!!! My RC Cobra might just take up some of that time!

Colin

Very nice progress!
Are you going to build the air condition ducts and grilles too? I think the early/British layout is a bit different from ours but I have a picture of an early one too. :)

Jens

Edited by Jens

Very nice progress!

Are you going to build the air condition ducts and grilles too? I think the early/British layout is a bit different from ours but I have a picture of an early one too. :)

Jens

Hi Jen's, I don't think I will as I'm doing a stripped out cab, so I think all the ducting would have been removed to give access for the new wiring etc.

Colin

• Like 1

A small parcel arrived in the post on Thursday, it was the parts from the second Revell Lynx release, the Brit Navy version. Tony, Lynx7 kindly sent them for which I'm very greatfull. They are, the tail boom, tail fold mechanism and the RN type/style tail pylon. Once I've finished with the main fus I can start further back.

Many thanks to Tony for those.

IMG_2483comp_zps3298dfec.jpg

Colin

Lynx-GB-banner_zps53c18225.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK everyone, not too much has happened over the past few days, been looking after my lady. So some detail added to the gearbox platform, the hydraulic res pads, the front gearbox housing slide rails, then some more bracing and the gearbox mounting straps plus started detailing the tailcone. Also started on the tail pylon, the TR gearbox mount and horizontal stab clamp bracket. Also some detail to the area where the intermediate GB would sit. Jens photos have been a godsend, so thanks again for those Jens.

IMG_2504comp_zpsc151a5e7.jpg

IMG_2499comp_zps1e6cded7.jpg

IMG_2498comp_zps5c7137b2.jpg

That's it for today, I'm hoping I'll be able to do soem more inthe coming week.

Colin

• Like 2

Ok everyone, time for a little update. I've not had of late the amount of time I'd like to work on my Lynx. I've added some more detail to the engine deck and opened up the vents at the back end of the drop down doors/engine covers, added the four scoops after having to make two as the kit parts were undersize!

So I've temporarily shoved all the sub assemblies of the model together, to show you where I'm up to, at present.

Port side, with the tail boom attached and the tail pylon in place with Pres-stic (or equivelent of Blu-Tac but it's white)!

IMG_2533comp_zpsf605952d.jpg

Port side again but from the rear, showing the bearing supports for the tail rotor driveshaft.

IMG_2532comp_zpsd4e75dab.jpg

The underside with all the side panels removed, I've got to cut the bulkhead which makes up the back of the bays and carries some wiring (green string).

IMG_2535comp_zps2fa1c01d.jpg

The mid fuselage, showing the engine covers you might be able to see some of the firewall detail. From this pic it looks like I may have to add some of the deatil on the drop down doors, which I was hoping to have avoided. The upper door runner cover paltes have also been added.

IMG_2531comp_zps6732a3f7.jpg

That's it until the next episode...

Colin

• Like 1

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fantastic mate!

Hi Tony, but aren't there was fifteen in a rugby team????

Edited by heloman1

Ok, got some time off for good behavure yesterday, so made the most of it. I added some detail to the insides of the engine covers/drop down maintenance paltforms and the the engine deck.

IMG_2538comp_zps0de58ce8.jpg

Engine covers

IMG_2541comp_zpsab62bf57.jpg

I'm not a big fan of PE parts but this Eduard 00101 Mesh 4x4 which I used for the grill atop the engine covers, it works well. They also do a 00103 6x6 which is slightly lager.

IMG_2544comp_zpse20c369e.jpg

So until later...

Colin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, everyone, here's my

Here's my latest update. I've painted the cabin interior and did bit of a wash around the structural framing in the back. I used artists waterclour, burnt sienna suitably thinned.

I then squoze the cabin into the fus halves and then added the fuselage underside parts. Lots of tape and pegs to hold it all together whilst I got some CA on it. The red wire is a test at representing the power cable that comes form/to the battery bay area.

IMG_2574crop_comp_zpsa2b82162.jpg

IMG_2577crop_comp_zps6f7e64b5.jpg

So until later, that's all folks.

Colin

Really coming on now Colin.

I like your T/R D/shaft hangers.

Keep it coming.

Hi Ian, the TR drive shaft hanger/supports are all down to Jens supplying me with some great pics. I think otherwsie I would have been struggling.

Colin

Right, I'm taking this week out whilst I wait for my Archers rivets to arrive in the post. I looked at the fuselage and compared to the Airfix kit the Revell looks naked, so on the nod from Tony Lynx7 who had used them on his 32nd build, I jumped in and purchased a set from Historex Agents. At almost R400.00, Forty Quid to you lot, I was a bit taken aback but as I intend entering the model in our Nationals in July I thought sod it's lets buy the girl some lace! Not that a few rivets are going to make a naked Lynx look any prettier.

Colin

OK guys, a little update. Today I received the Archer rivet decals inthe post, ten days door to PO box, fantastic. Thanks to the guys at Historex, great service. At around twelve UK Pounds I thought the sheet might have been a tad larger, it's 112x72mm!!!!

IMG_2715comp_zps58a9ce3e.jpg

Before I took this week out, the last thing I did was make a new handle for the avionics bay access door. The kit part is moulded in but it looked a bit naff, I kept the button part and with a bit of soft wire flattened in a pair of pliars and then filed and bent to shape I fashioned a new handle.

IMG_2646comp_zps633ffa03.jpg

Busy getting blood tests with my dear wife tomorrow and if all is well then it's session three of her chemo. So I reckon I'll be back onto the Lynx on Saturday but our local rugby season start as well!!!!

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

OK, not had too much time this last week to do any modelling. However, I did get some of the Archers rivets added to the port fuselage, they are waterslide and easy to add. I'll try and get some more done over the weekend.

IMG_2765crop2_zpsfc38db2c.jpg

Colin

Ok, I've been cracking on. I've added the upper portion of the nose bay and the lower portion which necessitated removing the radome and addiong a piece of plasticard to the front edge. I've also cut one door in half ala the Mk3's now once this is set up I need to make the bulkehead from which the radar dish hangs.

IMG_2768comp_zpsfb5a0d18.jpg

Bottom right in the pic is the Rivet R tool I bought some while back, I've tried to highlight a line of them with pencil lead. They are very fine indeed.

Mish, I don't know how many rivets there are on a sheet of the Archers rivets and I don't think I want to start counting!!!

Colin