Revell Lynx Mk88 to an RN HAS Mk3 in refurb...

heloman1

Here is my offering for the GB. I don't usually build 32nd scale, so this one is going to be a bit of an adventure. The scheme, I had thougth of a Frog one but maybe a Danish cab, if I have decals to suit in the spares box. We'll see.

So heres the box art and the bits just for starters.

IMG_2448comp_zpsd2947a0c.jpg

IMG_2449comp_zps22d37efb.jpg

Colin

Edited by heloman1

Danish would be nice Colin,can,t understand the total lack of after market decals for these great kits,I wonder if many people are holding off their

builds for that reason?

• Like 2

Hi Steve, could well be it's not as if the artwork hasn't already been done. A total mystery. Yes the Oxford (Westlands garage door) Blue takes my fancy over the grey on grey frog jobby. I just fancied building all that sonar gear for the back office. I don't think the Danes use it, I could be wrong.

Colin

Right, here's the plot, no Frog jobby, no double underlined Danish bacon jobby either. I'm back to the RN and here is the image I found on Airliners.net just one of the 2070 pics on the Lynx. I belive it may well be at Fleetland Aircraft Yard, in deep maintenance.

So as they say in janner land, yer tis my ansomes... Does anyone have any scale drawings of the dustbin?

lynx_group_build_zpsae79684b.jpg

Here are some of the bits I'll be using from the kit the rest I'll think of something to do with.

IMG_2455comp_zpsce5b9826.jpg

Missing form the above are the sponsons, the undercarriage and a few of the panels. The nose will require some surgery and the soundproofing (poor excuse for loft insulation, I believe) will need removing from the cabin interior parts. All in a days modelling though hey?

See ya' all Saturday.

Colin

Edited by heloman1

Well two days into this GB and here is what I've achieved so far. Chopped the gearbox cover from the cabin roof section, taken the front portion of the transmission tunnel from the rear of the fuselage. Then removed the TE of the tail pylon along with the intermediate GB cover and I've also removed all the access panels from the lower fuselage. I aslo opened up the fuel call access panel and the two sensor mountings.

Tony, Lynx7 is sending me some RN Lynx parts tail fold part etc. so huge thanks to him for that. He also pointed my in the direction of Jens Jennsens Danish Lynx site, which has some wrecked cab pics. Lots of good info there.

Next up to rebuild the cabin roof and transmission platform and get some detail onto it and then the two fold down engine covers with firewalls. There is lots of detail that can be added in this area but as they wil be closed as per my reference pic, I'll limit the amount I add.

A lot of the removed panels seem to have been 'stored' in the cabin and the two ply floor protection boards used as temporary closures in the cabin doorways. So I'll do the same and with that in mind I think I'm going to forego removing the soundproofing blankets from the cabin interior walls.

IMG_2462comp_zps447be2ae.jpg

Colin

Lynx-GB-banner_zps53c18225.jpg

Interesting project. Let me know if you need pictures of any particular area. We always have at least one airframe in for maintenance so I might be able to help you out.

Jens

Hi Jens. Very kind of you, many thanks for the offer. If you have the TE of the tail pylon (TE removed) where the pushrods for the TR pitch change is and the TR intermediate GB mounting. They would be of immense help.

Colin

These are the only ones I have on my computer now. I'll bring my camera to work tomorrow and see if I can get you something better.

The first two are of Mk. 90B S-249 after her crash. Note it's the non-folding tail. The last two are of the old Mk. 90A S-256 with the folding tail.

S-249_4696.jpg

S-249_4697.jpg

BG413_1923.jpg

BG413_1927.jpg

Jens

Colin, just be aware that the HAS 3 didn't have a Spring Bias Unit (looks like a big shock absorber running along the control run bottom to top) whereas the newer clockwise tails (I'm assuming the Mk90Bs do too Jens?) have them. The pics seem to have it removed anyway.

Colin, just be aware that the HAS 3 didn't have a Spring Bias Unit (looks like a big shock absorber running along the control run bottom to top) whereas the newer clockwise tails (I'm assuming the Mk90Bs do too Jens?) have them. The pics seem to have it removed anyway.

Yes, the Mk. 90B has it too.

Jens

Hi Jens, Many thanks for the pics, anything else you can supply will always be a help.

Tony, thanks for the heads up on the Spring Bias Unit.

I had a bit of good fortune yesterday afternoon in that Revell have moulded the mounting bracket/casting detail into t he main u/c legs which helps me as the end covers to the sponsons are removed. The front and rear engine firewalls have come in handy too. pics later.

Colin

OK viewers, here is todays update. I've been working on the transmission platform, the forward cabin roof and the engine front and rear firewalls. Still to be done is the access panel in the middle of the gearbox mounting, then fill in the crescent aft of that. Thanks go to Jens for his superb pics of a similarly striiped Lynx, so I can see where all the parts go.

I've also done a little bit on the tail pylon but more of that as I progress. I also added the cockpit centre console but will cut the other parts up to make it look like some of the avionics have been removed. The rudder pedals have been added but the cyclic and collectives levers will be left off.

Colin

IMG_2463comp_zps3dc5631d.jpg

Edited by heloman1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it's been a while since my last post, Mrs Burgess demands a good deal of my attention since her shoulder op. So please bear with us.

I've been working on the transmission platform, cutting gearbox access panel and the detailing the center firewall (not shown oooooops!), next time. I also marked up where the strengthening ribs will go. I've decided to remove the soundproofing cladding from the rear cabin and cut out the rear bulkhead and add the 'broom cupboard'. The panels are all but flat so it's going to look pretty spartan in there. The interest will come from the gearbox covers etc being stored in the cabin.

IMG_2472comp_zpsf2731939.jpg

That's all folks, until later.

Colin

Ok Guys, here's where we are at as of today. Many thanks to Jens for supplying cabin shots sans soundproofing. I've been able to detail to the walls and add the broom cupboard The rear wall of the fuel cell and open up the inspection hatches where I added the flanges. I'm going to get his lot painted up and then concentrate on the engine/gearbox deck (transmission platform).

I've also included the engine bay firewall which I forgot in my last post. I'll need to add some detail here as the front and rear firewalls are lower halves only and you can see in.

IMG_2481comp_zpsec665376.jpg

Colin

• Like 3