Fiat CR-42 Italeri 1/72

Misterfriend

I'm in, I needed a KUTA to enter the KUTA group build! Here's an Italeri Fiat CR-42 I started last year and had to put away when I moved and haven't taken it out since. I've completed the office, which I tarted up with the Eduard PE set and I'm about ready to zip it up. I have a ton of schemes to choose from as I have the Sky Decals set and Third Group Decals set for this. I'm definitely going Italian and splotchy! More photos and progress in a bit.

Cheers

Segan

fiat1_zpsa85393c3.jpg

Zipped her up after boxing in the air intakes a bit and drilled out the gun barrels. Little bit of clean up on the seam but it's pretty good really and then I think I'll add some wings!

cheers

Segan

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv67/misterfriend/fiat3_zps1824b18f.jpgfiat3_zps1824b18f.jpg

Edited by Misterfriend

Yup.....The booklet that comes with the first Italeri kit SM.82 has pictures of a Marsupiale with a Falco stored aboard. B)

Oh nice! I'll see if I can track that down online as that sounds very interesting. Is that kit one of their more recent offerings? MarsupiaIe is a great name for a transport plane but not very intimidating for a bomber!

I do love the booklets that come with some of the Italeri kits, the one with this kit is great. Tons of original tech drawings and walkaround photos.

IMHO it's the best 1/72 aircraft kit Italeri have ever done: http://www.hyperscale.com/2007/reviews/kits/italeri1270reviewbg_1.htm

Thanks for the link Sarge! Wow, that looks great, I think I always assumed it was an old Supermodel kit or something. All the interior detail looks amazing. I tend to build single engine birds for space reasons but the 3 colour striped version is very tempting. I found a scan of the booklet with the picture of the Falco loaded inside it, that being loaded in or out would make a really interesting diorama.

• 2 weeks later...

Little bit of progress. Added some wiring to the engine, which is nigh on invisible! Cut and repositioned the tailplanes. Started assembling the undercarriage. The wheels are subtly weighted and have a lovely little bulge and flat spot for where they should sit on the ground, unfortunately I couldn't quite work out the angle so the wheels are currently free spinning.

I need a good few hours to spend sorting out the struts, hopefully at the weekend that will happen, I think I'll confuse myself if I do it in dribs and drabs.

Cheers

Segan

fiat4_zpsdc13239a.jpg

fiat5_zps3df02ddf.jpg

fiat6_zpsc1c15227.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Nice work on the camo.....Italian schemes can be incredibly tricky and yours looks spot on already, personally I really wouldn't add too much more TBH! :coolio:

Happy New Year! :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the kind words, although having said that I decided to start again with the camo! It doesn't look too bad in the photo above but it was blotchy and looked like it had been done with a hairy stick, 'ave a close look here.

fiat10_zpseabed5f2.jpg

No matter what i did my airbrush wouldn't spray fine. Stripped it completely and gave it a thorough clean but still no good. Eventually I found the culprit which was a very slightly (had to use the optivizor to see it) damaged nozzle. So I sent of for a replacement and this build went on hold.

Got the new nozzle yesterday and it sprays lovely again. I stripped the old camo off and resprayed today and I'm much happier with the results. Hope everyone else thinks it was worth the effort! Not sure this will be finished by the deadline.

cheers

Segan

fiat9_zps1c1eb765.jpg

Thanks Mish!

Well I didn't quite finish in time, partly held up by having to get a new airbrush nozzle. I'll keep going on this one and hopefully get it done by the end of Feb! I've finished the grey now and a little bit of touching up on the Savoy cross and she'll be ready for decaling.

Cheers

Segan

fiat12_zps6bb6a0a8.jpg

fiat11_zps6715318b.jpg