Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk I

A straightforward out-of-box build...Aeromaster enamel DE/DG, Floquil Platinum mist beneath, Testor's flat overcoat. Decals are a combo of Model Alliance (serials), Xtradecal (roundels), Microscale ("19's" from an old sheet of generic Luftwaffe codes, to replace the off-register MA ones), and what seemed like hundreds of the excellent kit-provided stencils.

These "new Airfix" kits have their much-debated pluses and minuses...but are irresistibly fun! Not sure I can logically articulate all the reasons, but they are a delight. I haven't enjoyed a build so much since I was a youngster.

DSC02377_zps82589212.jpg

DSC02378_zps336195dc.jpgDSC02376_zpse368e5da.jpg

DSC02373_zps72659793.jpgDSC02381_zps022779f1.jpg

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 13

Very elegant build!

The drooped elevators contribute to the authentic impression and even the somewhat heavy panel lines don't detract much, since you wisely elected not to fill them with uncharacteristic black wash.

Good work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

I appreciate all your kind comments.

Joachim, I do like to "animate" control surfaces, it seems to give a more realistically casual overall appearance. Of course Airfix already give you a separate rudder, and with their soft plastic it's easy to move the elevators, too. Cut through the angled end with a razor saw; score the top of the main joint lightly with a scribing tool; and then simply bend them down.

I don't very much like the look of an overall panel line wash. I usually treat only movable surfaces--maintenance access panels, etc.--and with an umber or gray wash, not stark black. That approach seemed well-suited for this little Spitfire, too.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 2

Excellent job on a very nice little kit! I'm doing two right now - one as the early Mk.I (as here), and the second as a Mk.IIa. They're a good break from the limited-run kits I often wrestle with.

Regards,

Jason

• 1 month later...

I appreciate all your kind comments.

Joachim, I do like to "animate" control surfaces, for a less stiff appearance. Of course Airfix already give you a separate rudder, and with Airfix's soft plastic it's easy to move the elevators, too. Cut through the angled end with a razor saw; score the top of the main joint lightly with a scribing tool; then simply bend them down.

I don't very much like the look of an overall panel line wash. I usually treat only movable surfaces--maintenance access panels, etc.--and with an umber or gray wash, not stark black. That approach seemed well-suited for this little Spitfire, too.

Absolutely spot on.

Joachim and I have been saying for a long time that's all you should see with a Spit.

Well done MD,she looks a treat.

• 4 months later...