Il-28 Beagle 1/48; questions (HPH; Bobcat related)

exdraken

Hello,

I plan to build this "small" but very nice bomber, but not in chinese or russian markings....

does anybody know of any alternative decals for this kit? (czech ones for example?)

http://www.prodejonline.cz/1588/5000%7C.d.HpH48019R.iljuschin-il28.html

a second question concerns the IL-28R, what would it take to do a conversion? wingtip tanks, what else?

thanks of all kind of help!

Regards, Werner

Edited by exdraken
Bobcat models injection molded kit available now!

While you might not be able to find any aftermarket aimed directly at that kit, most Il-28s had pretty generic markings limited to national markings and numbers.

There are decal companies out there who make generic insignia and number sheets, so if you know what size you need it shouldn't be a problem to find markings to suit.

Given the price and rarity if that kit you're not going to find any aftermarket for it, guaranteed.

It's still currently available direct from source, so not rare in that sense. As Upnorth said it should be straight forward enough to cobble together from generic decals.

It's lovely kit BTW.

Marty...

bomber to photo recon conversion will require, apart from wingtip tanks and removal of starboard front cannon, the modification of engine pods. The R version had bigger main landing gear and corresponding bulge on bottom part of engine to fit the wheels. The remaining difference is mostly in the cockpit and bomb bay. In some subversions the aiming radar in a fairing below the pilot was also removed.

Czech insignia is not that difficult to paint, may I suggest

While it may well be worth it's price, at close to $200 USD i'll have to give it a pass. I would have thought this one would have been a natural for Trumpeter. Having said that, at the price they'd likely charge it wouldn't be much cheaper than the resin kit...

in fact, the kit is a marvel, fantastic precision and attention to details. It's just in a completely different league compared to Trumpy mass market kits.

Though too expensive to my wallet as well, besides not my scale, the value for money is definitely there.

• Like 1

in fact, the kit is a marvel, fantastic precision and attention to details. It's just in a completely different league compared to Trumpy mass market kits.

Though too expensive to my wallet as well, besides not my scale, the value for money is definitely there.

It's a brilliant kit, no idea how many have sold but when it made its debut at Telford if memory serves, it sold out - again if memory serves it was slightly discounted so that might have encouraged folk.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk
  • Like 1

i believe nigeria used these in the biafran conflict;the green and white roundels shouldn't be too hard to do

yep, great camo too

ilyushin-il-28-tactical-bomber-of-the-ni

more pics here http://kevsaviationpics.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Il-28

or how about a Finnish Target Tug

Il-28R(TT)+(Beagle)+NH-2+5.jpg

think this is Egyptian?

Il-28R+(Beagle)+1774.jpg

The HPH kit looks incredible though!

cheers

T

• Like 1

You should also be careful not to choose a nation who uses the Chinese copy of the machine, as in the case of Romania.

I think there were more than a few differences in vent configurations and the tail turret between the real Il-28 and the Harbin made copy and you don't want to put your self in the position of needing to convert a kit like the HPH one.

While it may well be worth it's price, at close to $200 USD i'll have to give it a pass. I would have thought this one would have been a natural for Trumpeter. Having said that, at the price they'd likely charge it wouldn't be much cheaper than the resin kit...

Here we go again..........I suspect the reason Trumpeter kits (and other Far Eastern hobby products) are so expensive is down to punitive US Import tax. We dont seem to suffer so much from that in Europe, even here in Norway where Trumpeter kits are not cheap but are still good value for money....in most cases. Better to spend your money on all those US-originated new mould 1:48 scale aircraft kits....Oh Wait !,.....I forget, there are none. Might I suggest expending more energy on lobbying the US manufacturers to actually produce some new kits and less on bashing the Far Eastern companies for anything and everyhting from accuracy to price and back again.....at least they are producing kits and sometimes get them right !.

• Like 4

It's a brilliant kit, no idea how many have sold but when it made its debut at Telford if memory serves, it sold out - again if memory serves it was slightly discounted so that might have encouraged folk.

Marty...

Yep....agree....I have one, got at a slightly discounted rate which brought it down to the level I would shell out for a Tamigawa with all the resin add ons etc. I believe they are on their third production run so would imagine the kit is selling well in spite of the whining emanating from the usual suspects.

You should also be careful not to choose a nation who uses the Chinese copy of the machine, as in the case of Romania.

I think there were more than a few differences in vent configurations and the tail turret between the real Il-28 and the Harbin made copy and you don't want to put your self in the position of needing to convert a kit like the HPH one.

The original batch were Soviet supplied and it was only a later top-up examples that came from China.

Trevor

Yep....agree....I have one, got at a slightly discounted rate which brought it down to the level I would shell out for a Tamigawa with all the resin add ons etc. I believe they are on their third production run so would imagine the kit is selling well in spite of the whining emanating from the usual suspects.

I had a feeling it must have sold reasonably well as I had to wait a little for mine, not sure were the less than 25 copies emanates from or what it is based on.

Marty...

No bash intended, and I've got a pretty good idea where most of the money goes for buying Trumpeter's kits here (a Company in New Jersey), but the fact remains, the prices stay high. As far as lobbying for those kits to be produced here, I've about given up. A significant percentage of my fellow Americans can't find Russia on a map much less have a clue what an Ilyushin is...

• 4 months later...

Got mine today! :) :) :)

brilliant !

a big box full of resin and 2 PE frets :wow:

a CD with a booklet of detailed Photo instructions, and a small Belgian Chocolate! :Tasty:

now building a smaller resin kit for practicing, the Czech L-159A ALCA light attack aircraft (see my start in the In Progress forum)

IMG_9353_1_zps3d194a3c.jpg

still looking for decals though.... Czech or smoething really fancy?

or just the kit ones?

Edited by exdraken

Congratulations, Werner :)

The kit looks like pure enjoyment to build, regardless that it's made of resin. Can't wait to see a WIP from you.

How about replicating that mean looking VPAF "2210 red"?

Dmitry

Quite a few of Egyptian Il-28s used to wear big unit insignias/crest on their forward fuselage, in the early 1960s.

This had a form of a big black bomb (pointing downwards), with two stylized wings (inside the bomb) in yellow, and either a Cobra's head or that of an Eagle (depending on squadron; Il-28Rs wore insignia with the Eagle).

But, at those times, the planes in question wore no camouflage colours, and no serials but letter-codes (for example: G, G1, G2 were Rs; V1, V2 etc. were 'vanilla' bombers).