+FINISHED+ Spitfire Vb For Xmas ! Hobbyboss 1/32 kit.. Will I Finish...

robvulcan

I was able to attach the wings okay but it was during the drilling and fitting of the cannons I completely wrecked one wing and so the whole thing is in the box waiting for me to do something with it. Its a shame coz I'd done quite a good job on the cockpit :) Maybe I can salvage it for the next time I build it.

• Like 1

Ah Bloomin heck thats a really sad sight and such a beautiful build too.. I feel your pain..

My sugestion would be go to Alan Gibson workshop and ask them if they can turn you some steel components to make replacement landing legs. They make steel wheels and fittings for model railway loco kits. Might work..

You have just made me consider not using the white metal gear I bought for this and just use the plastic. I think I have been put off resin too... Scary ..

Hope you get her sorted out. Cheers Rob ;)

I guess you could just cut the wings off and scratch build some from plasticard or use others from a kit.

I am actually surprised no one offers steel or die cast replacement wheels with rotating axles and rubber tyres I would buy those for all my builds then. Imaging how much confidence you could have in the longevity of your builds then.

I hope someone offers something like that one day. White metal is ok but I always thought it too soft and would be better for making bullets out of.

Cheers Rob

Ah Bloomin heck thats a really sad sight and such a beautiful build too.. I feel your pain..

My sugestion would be go to Alan Gibson workshop and ask them if they can turn you some steel components to make replacement landing legs. They make steel wheels and fittings for model railway loco kits. Might work..

You have just made me consider not using the white metal gear I bought for this and just use the plastic. I think I have been put off resin too... Scary ..

Hope you get her sorted out. Cheers Rob ;)

No worries Rob, got some very nice (and sturdy) G Factor white bronze legs to fit, should fix the problem

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Cheers Spitfire I have never heard of them but I will check them out. Cheers Rob..

Right this morning I am doing the smaller parts. For someone who mostly builds Vulcans were you cant see much going on the pit is not usually something I have spent much time on. This parts to me are testing my dexterity I have already managed to break a part in half and had to stick it back together..

null_zpse135ae8e.jpg

null_zps59353e7b.jpg

null_zpsaad37d6c.jpg

I have never used Micro sol or set before But I am guessing I might need to for this... Before I start any suggestions regarding the instrument panel ?

null_zps75d50573.jpg

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

Hi Rob, I usually use either MDC or Airscale instrument dials, it would save cutting around the kits ones.

I usually paint the panel black then put a drop of Klear in the dial position pop the decal on and then put of drop of Klear on top.

Here's the MDC ones. http://www.modeldesignconstruction.co.uk/mall/departmentpage.cfm/ModelDesignConstruction/_54283/1/Decals

And Airscale http://www.airscale.co.uk/ww2.php.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Hi Dennis cheers for that they are cool decals. I usually apply decals with Klear to but as this is one decal I thought of the sol, However I must be stupid today as I have just realized I can cut each one off and place it individually over were it should go. Hopefully this will work.

I am getting nervy now about finishing as I have just been reminded on top of everything else I have to do I have to make a card kit for the neighbor due in few weeks of a telephone mast of some sort..

Thank heavens for Coffee n biscuits...

Hopefully I can tackle the merlin soon Not sure of the colours to use it mainly calls out for steel and silver but I thought they were painted black..

Cheers Rob

Rob

For an instrument panel that thick, I would suggest the following:-

1. Drill out the instrument bezels on the panel.

2. Sand down the back of the panel until much thinner.

3. Apply instrument decals to a piece of white plastic card cut to the shape of the panel.

4. Attach said card to the back of the IP with Formula 560 or other white glue.

5. Press firmly to attach. the excess glue will fill the bezels and when dry, will look like glass.

Above all, have fun.

W

• Like 1

Cheers Wolfpack that is a great tip.. I jut hope I have some drills small enough.. That should look pretty cool too.

Well I have this so far... Hopefully get some paint on next.

null_zpsad4308b9.jpg

after this....

null_zpsa6e18a01.jpg

Thundercracker wondered if he could join in with a file and old paint brush... (was waiting for the glue to set..)

null_zps698cda64.jpg

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 2

What on Earth is all this Rob............it's got a propeller and all !!! :yikes: Enjoy it mate. Wolfies right, go with his plan re the instruments. I use Airscale stuff for all my instrument panels as they add so much especially in the bigger scales and in conjunction with their bezels and placards really work well.

(Thunderknacker looks pleased with himself and I love the weathering on the desk top not to mention scale model digestives...almost look real !).

What on Earth is all this Rob............it's got a propeller and all !!! :yikes: Enjoy it mate. Wolfies right, go with his plan re the instruments. I use Airscale stuff for all my instrument panels as they add so much especially in the bigger scales and in conjunction with their bezels and placards really work well.

(Thunderknacker looks pleased with himself and I love the weathering on the desk top not to mention scale model digestives...almost look real !).

Yes Its a Spitfire. Believe it or not I used to make loads and loads of them when I was a kid I do love spits but only made 3 since my return to the hobby.

Thundercracker yes the 3 transformers need moving from the back as they might get damaged.

I have a very small work area and yes its got a complete mess in the last 5 weeks I have been that busy I have not had time to tidy it. I normally have a rule to tidy down every time I finish but I have broken that recently. Just because I am constantly making at the moment. I have to make this, 2 more spits, a telephone pole thing, the harrier, jaguar, and xl426 before christmas. Then there is all the KUTA stuff just a mixture of projects that must be completed or I am sick of seeing hanging around incomplete I feel I cant move on to the other goodies in the 60+ strong stash !!! (joining Britmodeller Is were I picked up this disease from....) until I have completed the others. Some have been stalled for about 6 years now........

Its a disgrace and annoying me I will tidy it up soon as mess can annoy me but I am very good at making it.... I need to get all the waist tamyia tape off and wipe over with IPA to get all that attractive citadel brown wash off the desk....Looks appealing don't it... :fraidnot:

I may drill holes but at the moment I am not sure I have the time for this build though I agree it sounds a good Idea I just need to get some drills. the right size.

I picked up the Digestive method off Canberra Kid. For those moments when you can't focus and are getting nowhere. Have 5 mins with a cuppa and a bicky and you will come back to the bench with a better outlook on the matter. Cheers Meltchski

Making good progress Rob. Just one question though, 'How long have you been drinking gravy?' :winkgrin: I'm sure you can get help with that.

HAHAHAHAHAHA Thats very funny and really made me laugh this side of the screen. I love black coffee with no sugar, I try to avoid milk as its not really good for you plus it makes me sleepy. Also It's apparently impossible for us to digest properly as we don't have the enzyme to break down lactose and can sit in your gut and cause bowl cancer.. Mind you I don't think coffee is good for you either..

I do like a cup of OXO very rarely actually. Beef tea mmmm. :drink:

I sprayed the pit parts HU64 and then applied a thin coat of hu226 Interior green In an almost dry brushed manner to try and get some tonal variation and make the shade a little lighter with the grey coming through.

null_zps4b7d9511.jpg

null_zpsef02523e.jpg

null_zps47a8fc12.jpg

I am hoping then to add a thin wash and that should give it a little more variety and depth.

I am just now working out which parts are black silver etc.. and trying to decide if I want to drill as the General and Wolfpack are saying.

Cheers Rob :pipe:

• Like 1

Right then the evening progresses and I am starting to look at this aspect of the pit there are some panels to fit and more tiny parts...

null_zpsf6e5af65.jpg

I painted the instrument panel with one very thin coat of Revel Aqua black this paint is so amazing for brush work with a little W&N Flow Improver added. Its a pleasure to work with and as you can see levels out beautifully. This is about 30 seconds after I applied it.

null_zps23ea0b9e.jpg

Then I started to wash parts with Citadel nuln oil Lovely stuff too.

null_zps21847ea1.jpg

More soon Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

Cheers Mate. Id be surprised If I did something on here no one had seen before.

If you want to see someone cut corners though like leaving of wheels and refueling probes then I am your man,,

Cheers Rob ;)

Any reason why you're not going with Hu78 or even 90 for the cockpit? I'm not familiar with the colours you've used.

Dave

Hi oh dear Have I used the wrong colour.. I thought HU226 interior green was ok. I thought it looked a little dark hence the thin coat over grey.

I am familiar with HU90 duck egg blue or sky. I have a tub of that for the nose and tail banding. But I did not think that was the interior colour.

HU78 looks like the colour I have.

Advice welcome I can repaint it if it looks totally wrong.

Cheers Rob :doh:

More progress though I have used hu226 and now worried its the wrong color however it looks close enough to me.
:weep:

null_zps45fe84f3.jpg

null_zps7fd20b2a.jpg

null_zpsba381a3a.jpg

null_zps49b2fbc6.jpg

null_zps70b1d735.jpg

null_zpsca2b776b.jpg

null_zps692a0321.jpg

Now I need to tackle the instrument panels. I have not decided what to do yet..

Cheers Rob :bounce:

This morning I have turned my attention to the Merlin.. I am surprised the kit has all this for £39.99 I was only expecting a basic pit and a decent outline of a spitfire.. Bargain..

null_zps51c5c167.jpg

null_zpse6f9e16a.jpg

null_zps9fc77223.jpg

Cheers Rob

Rob

If you want to put yourself off building the Merlin look at this...http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234950214-hph-de-havilland-hornet-sea-hornet-f-mk22-tt202/. Might give you some painting ideas at least. Keep on keeping on.

W

Ah yes Thanks Wolfpack I have been watching that. Its a sickening level of good work that... Sometimes I wonder why we all do this for a hobby..

Cheers Rob ;)