Airfix 1/72 Mustang IV (P-51D)

Tabio

Hello, here is my recently completed Airfix Mustang IV made from the starter kit. It it took 2 weeks which is incredibly quick for me, it's a great kit with nice detail including a good cockpit with sidewall detail, flap and radiator options. I decided to have a go with Tamiya paints on this one, after painting the cockpit and interior parts such as wheel wells with citadel or Vallejo paints. I gave it the usual coat of klear before weathering with oils, then a coat of Tamiya clear with flat base mixed in. I decided to fill in the wing panels after doing a bit of research and finding out where was filled. I added some belts to the seat from tape, and replaced the aerial kit part which was mismoulded and brittle with plasticard. Here are some pics, hope you like it!

MustangIV119_zps23ecff9c.jpg

MustangIV120_zps18a36520.jpg

MustangIV121_zps33f8c145.jpg

MustangIV122_zpsd2479343.jpg

MustangIV124_zpsc431ec84.jpg

MustangIV125_zpsf01c4c6e.jpg

MustangIV126_zps73a95819.jpg

MustangIV127_zpsceb414ee.jpg

Edited by Tabio
  • Like 7

Attractively smooth looking finish on this neat build. And extra kudos for filling in the panels of the fwd portion of the wing, as per the full size machine! The laminar flow wing depended on a blemish free surface from the leading edge back to the main spar.

Minor niggle: as can be seen e.g. on this photo http://www.wallpaperhere.com/P_51_sunset_40946/download_1920x1080#, the top engine cowling was divided down the centreline and a fine 'panel line' wouldn't come amiss…

Elegant work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks to all, and thanks to Joachim for the link to a lovely picture, I see what you mean I may well have a tinker with it, had my Spitfire head on there I think as I went to a great deal of trouble to fill the seam there! The recent airfix releases are hitting the mark for me, I'm near ready for paint on the lovely Vampire kit at the moment and enjoying that too

• 1 month later...