Airfix new tool GR9

DaveO

Hi everyone, I found a few photos taken last year after completing the lovely Airfix GR9, in the Cottesmore special scheme. There's nothing to really report about this kit other than you can pour glue in the box, shake and get a lovely Harrier.

Much has been said about the depth of panel lines on Airfix's 1/72 kits. To be honest my opinion is that we already accept so many compromises on such a small scale that the depth of panels lines is less important than accurate outlines. On this kit in particular the undercarriage legs and wheels etc. are very fine and in scale and it looks and 'sits' like a Harrier should.

The engineering and design on this model are first class and make for an easy build. I do get a bit stalled when folk complain that (for example) 'those panel lines are a bit deep on the new Airfix spitfire' forgetting that the kit costs less than a fiver!

Airfix have an unusual position, unlike most they are making kits aimed at a broad range of modellers and skills, to design highly detailed yet easy to construct kits that end up at pocket money prices is something to be marvelled at. Don't forget Hasegawa are regularly re-releasing 30 year old toolings and asking us to pay £30-£40 for a 1/72 kit.

Any way rant over, hope these photos meet approval!DavidOatesGR920123_zpscb8af01d.jpg?t=138DavidOatesGR920121_zps1e1e14cb.jpg?t=138

Edited by DaveO
  • Like 17

Looking gorgeous. I do prefer 'em with a bit of camo on.

Me too!

That is really nicely done Dave, could easily pass for 48th and with the gorgeous finish you have achieved i think the panel lines look perfectly fine - im currently on my 2nd and 3rd of the less than a fiver spitfire mk1s at the mo and they are great fun kits to build :)

What did you use for the belts BTW, etch or tape, either way it adds nicely to the model?

Cheers, Stu

That is really nicely done Dave, could easily pass for 48th and with the gorgeous finish you have achieved i think the panel lines look perfectly fine - im currently on my 2nd and 3rd of the less than a fiver spitfire mk1s at the mo and they are great fun kits to build :)

What did you use for the belts BTW, etch or tape, either way it adds nicely to the model?

Cheers, Stu

Hi Stu, the belts are just painted masking tape, I lay some on sheet glass, paint and slice with a fresh blade. A good tip for masking tape is the TEVA brand, the yellow tape is similar to Tamiya, same gentle adhesion and a waxed top surface, good thing is a huge 50mm roll is around £5 from Amazon, Teva is a little thinner too, but very strong. I always thin paint to around the consistency of milk and spray a couple of thin layers, I keep a small hairdrier (no use to me anymore) next to the bench so I can start the Acrylic drying quickly. It stops dust gathering on the wet paint.I'm a big fan of the Airfix Mk1 Spitfire, a delightful kit.

• Like 2

Great job Dave it looks fantastic. I completely agree with your comments too, Airfix are producing some great new-tooled kits at really affordable prices. I have just bought their Harrier GR1 and GR3 kits and they look great.

Lovely looking harrier. In my opinion the panel lines are perfect, in fact, I can't think of a new(ish) airfix kit with too deep lines. The camoflauge on this is super too. Top marks