BBC milking Dr Who too much?

Fea

Personally I don't think the BBC is milking it at all

a lot of shows have specials when they reach big milestones and if 50 years isn't a milestone then what is?

It does remind me though that I have been watching it for 50 years, what does that make me?

Probably one of the only shows referred to on another show as Sheldon in big Bang Theory has made reference to it.

good God are we all nerds?

• Like 2

2: They can't seem to stay away from the old Broadcasting House, even with its overtones of serial Savile (and others) abuse, even after selling the damn place.

Can I just point out that BBC Television Centre (The one they sold, and a listed building, so might have had problems demolishing it) and Broadcasting House are different buildings.

As for Dr Who, can we really have too much? What do we get on average 10 or so episodes a year?

Would rather that than yet another bloody celebrity/talent show.

Sarge you should know I dont do cowell...

Maybe Daleks. but better acting ! and not such a 'campy' Doctor.

Mike, I did qualify my points about Broadcasting house a coupla times. Not my intention to stir the pot specifically on this non- sci-fi issue. But it was a thought I had, so i included it in my OP.Personally, I cant see how dr who should stir such emotion, TBH. unless its argument for argumens sake, which im not doing. We might as well argue about Captain Scarlet, Joe 90 or UFO. Too Nerdy !

Edited by Fea

its argument for argumens sake, which im not doing

With respect, you are. You write something; other people write something different; you come back and write what you've already written. Blow this - if you want a thread that's just an echo chamber, I'm giving up.

Ayup Sean...

But ive said that that point wasnt the raison d'etre. lets get back to Aunty beeb and her bulging purse... dont give up !

That's the issue, Aunties pockets are not bulging and she is coming ever more reliant on tertiary commercial activity, by exploring/exploiting their perceived 'winners'.

By the way the I'm biggest nerd around, I just thought as someone who only has a passing interest in Dr. Who 'An Adventure in Time and Space' docudrama did more to enhance and extend the Dr. Who reputation than a documentary would have done.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk
  • Like 1

2: They can't seem to stay away from the old Broadcasting House, even with its overtones of serial Savile (and others) abuse, even after selling the damn place.

Can I just point out that BBC Television Centre (The one they sold, and a listed building, so might have had problems demolishing it) and Broadcasting House are different buildings.

Correct a goodly part of Television Centre is Grade II listed and that I venture was one of the issues that lead the BBC to leave it. In that it would have be extremely difficult, expensive and in parts impossible to adapt for 21st Century broadcasting. Operating a 1960s listed building in normal circumstances is both expensive and troublesome to say the least, in a hi-tech broadcast capacity one can only image the challenges it must have presented.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

"Blink", "Dalek", The Girl in the Fireplace" and "The Doctor's Wife" are among the best Who ever. I re-watched the much-lauded "City of Death" recently and...

Absolutely, and I agree with the rest of what you say.

I thought the docudrama was excellent and largely enjoy the current show, although I feel its reach sometimes exceeds its grasp in that some of the epic themes are badly served by 60 minute episodes and would do better as properly written multi part stories, though that might be at odds with its remit as a kids show.

Torchwood, although it had a few excellent early episodes, was largely tosh in my opinion and the Americanised version was truly awful.

Steve.

OK, After seeing it in 3D at my local cinema, the answer is no.

If people were expecting EVERY SINGLE Dr on the screen, well...... that's just idiocy!

What I saw was (oooh, look: palindrome there!) well told, intelligent, character developing, entertainment. Can we not ask no more than that???

As an aside, 3D was a bit dark, but thats the process, not the fault of the show.

Otherwise, My compatriots & I were suitably entertained. & the nacho's were really good, too! & BEER!! (Gallery seats..)

• Like 1