BBC milking Dr Who too much?

Fea

Dr Who could have been such a good programme if the right people had been in charge at the start - a dark, gritty programme for grown-ups, shown around the watershed, could have been great...but thee dumbed it down and aimed it 5 year-olds (even though they have their own channels with kid-orientated programmes already.

It's not like we're living in a sci-fi desert. That dark gritty programme for grown-ups could be Ultraviolet, Fringe, Farscape, Continuum... they're just not Dr Who. Dr Who is Dr Who, and it was never intended to be for grown-ups...only. Like they said in An Adventure in Space and Time, it was meant to keep the adult football fans watching after Final Score, and give the kids something to watch before the pop charts. And as for "dumbed it down and aimed it at five year olds"? Tosh. I enjoyed Dr Who from Jon Pertwee to Peter Davison, and I've enjoyed it with my kids from Chris Eccleston to Matt Smith. And I'll go on enjoying it, I'm sure, with Peter Capaldi. And I can assure you*, that if you take off your "everything was better in the old days" Daily Mail issue glasses, there were as many creaky, overblown, incoherent and downright poor episodes and serials in t'old days as there are hyperactive, OTT, fart-joke laden tosh-fests today. But there were truly great stories in vintage Who, and truly great stories in New Who. And for me, personally, "Blink", "Dalek", The Girl in the Fireplace" and "The Doctor's Wife" are among the best Who ever. I re-watched the much-lauded "City of Death" recently and... really?

YMMV, obviously.

bestest,

M.

*(NB: that's a generic you, not aimed at anyone in particular...)

Edited by cmatthewbacon
  • Like 6

My wife has a fixation on serial killer police shows and almost without exception the plotting and dialogue of Doctor Who is streets ahead of them. Take for instance The Rings of Akhaten from the most recent series:

For her first trip into the infinite possibilities of time and space, The Doctor takes Clara to Akhaten where all races and species worship a sleeping God, lest he wake up and devour them. The Doctor saves a small girl who is about to be sacrificed and realises that the 'god' is just a giant parasite which lives off the energy of daily lives: the hopes, fears, happiness and sorrows of those beholden to it. He tries to free the people from this parasite by giving it an intense dose of emotions from his 1000 years of life, but it is Clara who kills it - not with lives lived but with the infinite possibilities and unquenchable sadness of lives cut short.

And, as Bill Hicks might say, "Here's Tom with the weather..."

I mean for a kids' show that's rather special isn't it?

• Like 1

Milking it,well i dont know about that,but one of this years top chrimbo presents,tv remote?£70.00

0052_zps34094d83.jpg

next you,ll be telling me,theres a star trek pizza cutter?

0062_zps355c6b71.jpg

slice me up scotty???

cannot wait to see the blade runner whiskey glass set at £94.99 for two glasses,????

cheers Don

• Like 1

Dunno about the 'Daily Mail Glasses', I've never been a subscriber to that load of raving Loons. Nor will I ever.

As to Broadcasting House, It felt to me as (and here's another Metaphor) if the Beeb had not only gone beyond using up the last squeeze out of the toothpaste tube rolled up, but split the tube and wiped the brush down it repeatedly with a cotton bud to make sure all the stuff was gone. I'd have thought with its Dark History now coming out (in whatever form, and not just this contemporary issue) the Beeb would have quite liked to have had it dynamited on live TV and have done with it. But I'm more interested in he main subject of the thread, and has the Beeb Milked 'Who' too much ? How sad is making a drama of how a show was made ? Im asking the question.

It seems that for those who like the 'Modern', some of us find it as bad as the 'old', which isnt a criticism, just an Observation. Ive kept away from Dr who because of the Actors playing him. Not the show. Although some iof the ones with Billie Piper in were pretty Dire ! IMHO.

Haha !

Saw the remote when it came out, but not the Pizza cutter. Top class tat !

Rubbish!!

I hope they milk it all they can as its the best show ever!!!

The first four doctros are the best, because the stories are the best and the actors good.

• Like 1

Not sad in the least - the story of how things are created can be very interesting - a hell of a lot more interesting that "who killed this person we've never heard of before and care even less about" which typifies 90% of the police procedurals on TV.

Again you go on about the "Dark History" of the BBC - pray tell what is this and what has it got to do with Broadcasting House which to many people has wonderful associations of past Televisual triumphs?

As for your repeated question about "milking" - its a business and its got a successful product that has achieve a very enviable milestone. Is Tesco "milking" is stores when they constantly throw adverts at us for phones, DVDs, milk and everything else they sell?

Dr Who can only have a 50th Anniversary once, so who can blame them for trying to make as much of it as possible. So the answer to your question is No they haven't milked it too much. IMHO of course.

• Like 3

Tom Baker, Ecclestone and Mat smith are my favourite Doctors. Couldn't stand Tennant all that bloke does is run around and roll his eyes never acts just plays himself. Talking of milking it there is a mini episode available if you press the red button which explains what happened to the 8th Doctor.

Richard

Yes they are milking it just a bit lots of pointless shows mainly going on the recent stuff and only paying lip service to the earlier pre noughties series, however did enjoy the docudrama last night and the best bit was then watching those first 4 episodes of an unearthy child on BBC4 just afterwards.

In fact i would prefer if the BBC had started running the original series on BBC4 as the likes of UK Gold/Dave/Watch (whatever the current name is) dropped the originals once the new series was available and only show token episodes as tributes events now and then.

• Like 2

I think its good they are making a lot of it, making it into a worldwide celebration is great. What would have been really sad is if the anniversary had passed unmarked in any way. If the programme had not been revived a few years back this could have been a real possibility. I have woken up on the past two mornings to interviews with Jenna Louise Coleman and Matt Smith on Radio One which were lovely to listen to. BM is also making its own special contribution, with all the posts and activity with a Dr Who theme - I love it. Even hearing the negative views is interesting, even if I don't agree with them.

• Like 2

I'd rather Dr Who had a 50th celebration than some "Reality" effort or a soap!

Just found out I'll be seeing it at the cinema with SHMBO & my son in 3-D, so it'll be a real treat.

My personal opinion is Matt Smith is a great Dr, but has had some poor stories & was overshadowed by his leggy companion & her p-whipped boyfriend.

• Like 5

Ahhh, but now we've got Jenna Louise Coleman. Apparently she's in the doghouse for tweeting about the Christmas episode. Lucky dog, I say.

And so we'll be weeping into our plum duff at the 'brutal' departure of Matt Smith (according to JLC) on Christmas Day, but then there's the Jock Doc to follow. I've actually never seen The Thick of it, but I really liked a lot of things that Peter Capaldi's been in like Neverwhere and Mrs. Maltadefender took me to the West End to see The Ladykillers in which he was fantastic.

Matt Smith plays the 1000 year old soul brilliantly. And he's from Northampton.

Funnily enough Tom Baker went to my brother's school in Northampton after they won a competition for a day with the Doctor. He apparently arrived in a helicopter on the sports field, and as he strode out to meet the children he spotted a cute looking blonde boy (my brother) and asked him to hold his big, floppy hat.

Looks can be deceiving. My brother was a tearaway - and away he tore... with the hat! It might still be at the school hidden behind the water tank.

• Like 2

Ayup...

The premise of my thread, to re-iterate, is, 'Is the BBC milking Dr Who too much;. The whole thing, not just the Anniversary. As i said above and some obviously didnt read, I am aware of how nostalgia, especially if its popular, and part of a dwindling, IMO, raft of programmes coming from the Beeb, seems to be its mainstay nowadays. Rather than original Programming. (E.G. strictly has been revamped from Elderly person viewing to 'Primetime' (eww) BBC fare).

And also, would not a proper Documentary have been better about its making, rather than a Drama ? I'd have gone for a Documentary myself. Although the drama was entertaining. And my allusion to the buildings history itself is of no real significance, other than when the BBC is trying to forget what happened there, its still making programmes in its environs. Now its sold TV centre is part of History. But It seemed like they didnt really want to let it go somehow. Matt Bacons point about making the drama at the place where it all happened is fair enough. Of course they would.. More than that sentiment on this thread is not part of what I asked folks. so bang away Kallisti, go argue with someone else. this threads for Dr Who discussion.

I didnt know Matt Smith was leaving, so who (pun intended) is the next Incumbent ?

Fea - when you set your store out with a controversial subject, don't be surprised if you get some different opinions. I've been watching this thread from the very beginning because I know it'll be a hot topic and prone to the usual flame-outs. Just because they disagree with you, doesn't necessarily make them wrong, as a lot of what you're discussing is subjective and simply their opinion versus yours.

You're also expounding some pretty weird points, the oddest being that the BBC TV Centre is somehow tainted by Jimmy Saville's excretions, when it's actually a bricks and mortar building, so inanimate. Their choice to use it before it was demolished probably had more to do with having a ready made set and saving money than venerating that white-haired weirdo.

I will agree that British TV is dire at the moment, with endless programmes based on, but bearing no resemblance to "real life", but at the end of the day (or earlier if you prefer), there is a little used switch on almost every TV, and it will be marked OFF or with a little circle with a line through the top edge. That stops the nasty programmes coming through into the magic picture box, and you can wipe your hands of it entirely. If you don't even watch TV on the internet, you could dispatch your TV to landfill, get a large screen monitor (with no TV Tuner) and watch DVDs, Blurays and movies on demand through your computer/Smart device, avoiding having to even play your part in funding this tripe via the license fee. :shrug:

Please keep it civil - I really don't want the dubious honour of separating people arguing over a TV show.

• Like 6

I didnt know Matt Smith was leaving, so who (pun intended) is the next Incumbent ?

Peter Capaldi, the oldest Doctor since William Hartnell, who will undoubtedly retain his Scottish accent unlike Mr. Tennant and be a properly baity old so-and-so. Better known as the potty-mouthed government spin doctor, Malcolm Tucker. And also the Angel Islington in Neverwhere. And other stuff.

Milking it? Yes. But then I've still got all my annuals, novels, Corgi cars and other shenanigans from The Professionals... plus ca change and all that!

• Like 1

I personally thought Auntie called it right on this, a nerdy documentary - no thanks,

Actually thinking about it I would have liked to have seen a documentary on just this. They should have made that as well.

Nigel the Nerd

I think its been done before - at least the story of how it all happened has been told before in some of the various Dr Who programmes in the past.

One thing I do wish they'd done is spent more time on the construction of the theme music - Delia Derbyshire was another very influential woman in a predominantly man's world and was an electronics wizard. Ron Grainger may be credited as the write but its really Delia's piece. On first hearing it Ron apparently said "Did I write that?" to which Delia replied "Well, some of it..." :)

• Like 1

Oe of the things I really liked about An Adventure in Space and Time was the way DD got _enough_ of a credit. That 20 seconds (if that) of the house key on the piano strings, and then the (obviously female) fingers playing the keyboard with a "Ron Grainer" score written out above was enough to tell us that she was important, made it her own, and delivered the iconic sound of Dr Who. Even if non-fan viewer didn't get all that, it's pretty darn clear that Mark Gatiss knew EXACTLY what he was doing. They may have been piano strings, not heartstrings, but we were being played, all the same...

bestest,

M.

• Like 4

Ayup All...

I watched the dramatisation of the creation of Dr Who last night, and the things that struck me were:

1: Can the BBC milk Dr Who for anything else commercially than it is now ?

2: They can't seem to stay away from the old Broadcasting House, even with its overtones of serial Savile (and others) abuse, even after selling the damn place. and

3: How come the Doctor character himself gone from an Incredibly Gruff William Hartnell (shown in Interview limmediately after the programme in real-life) and the 'effete' character he seems (to me) to be now ?

4: Even with all Dr Whos CG, doesn't the acting STILL seem incredibly naff ? And the series STILL seems to need the pumped-up Daleks to succeed.

I gave up with Dr who after Tom Baker, was blown away by Sylvester Mcoy, had hope for him with Christopher Ecclestone, and had it dashed by Kylie and David Tennant onwards. Am I expecting too much from it ?

Would you maybe prefer another episode of the X-Factor or Big Brother? :shrug:

Personally I'll take Cybermen & Daleks every time! :nerd:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
  • Like 4

hi,does all this mean,that excellent spin off programme,is not coming back,has it gone for good,cos thats a shame,you know the one,torchwood,i enjoyed that one,it had loads of doctory bits in that?

cheers Don