BBC milking Dr Who too much?

Fea

Ayup All...

I watched the dramatisation of the creation of Dr Who last night, and the things that struck me were:

1: Can the BBC milk Dr Who for anything else commercially than it is now ?

2: They can't seem to stay away from the old Broadcasting House, even with its overtones of serial Savile (and others) abuse, even after selling the damn place. and

3: How come the Doctor character himself gone from an Incredibly Gruff William Hartnell (shown in Interview limmediately after the programme in real-life) and the 'effete' character he seems (to me) to be now ?

4: Even with all Dr Whos CG, doesn't the acting STILL seem incredibly naff ? And the series STILL seems to need the pumped-up Daleks to succeed.

I gave up with Dr who after Tom Baker, was blown away by Sylvester Mcoy, had hope for him with Christopher Ecclestone, and had it dashed by Kylie and David Tennant onwards. Am I expecting too much from it ?

Edited by Fea

Its allways had naff acting its getting worse , the only two decent drs were C Ecclestone and D Tennant .I watched Ecclestone and Tennant but then gave in again . It cost a fortune to make but never seems to get better . Not a good advert for british sci fi

But what is it?? Adult or kid??/

If adult it needs to be darker and stronger storylines if kids is about right but wrong time broadcast or does fall under the banner of entertainment which usually means any old drivel as long as it fills the night

Hopefully we will get some decent british sci fi but I m not hopefull

HI,THE TROUBLE WITH MILKING DOCTOR WHO,IS ITS TOO LATE,THEY SIGNED STUPIDLY THE RIGHTS TO THEIR BEST CREATIONS AWAY,IN THE SIXTIES BEFORE THERE WAS MONEY TO BE MADE....TOO LATE,THE POT IS GETTING SMALLER??

ANYWAY PETER CUSHING WAS A CRACKING DOCTOR,NO ONE MENTIONS HIM?

CHEERS dON

1 What do you mean by “milking”? Merchandise? Well, to some it’s distasteful, to others it’s a necessary evil and it helps pay for the overall operation. But if you think this is milking, you’re clearly overlooking Disney and George Lucas. If you mean “there’s a lot of it about at the moment”, well, yes, but surely it’s understandable. At least it will all be over soon and perhaps it’s keeping some of the more crackpot Kennedy stuff off the screen. And, again, this is amateur stuff compared with a whole year of flogging Benjamin Britten’s centenary, to take a current instance.

2 Last night’s show was filmed between TV Centre being emptied and its being sold. Perhaps you could explain what the BBC should have done to depict the place where the original was made, if you think that our eyes will be pollluted by looking at it?

3 All a matter of opinion, surely, but as a general point, I’d be worried if a character was capable of regeneration and didn’t change from time to time. That would show a thorough lack of creative imagination and would probably have led to its being abandoned a long time ago.

4 Also a matter of opinion, your mileage may vary, anyone expecting his view to be venerated as objective fact should have his typing fingers removed, etc etc.

• Like 2

I'm not a huge Dr. Who fan it's the Throughton and Pertwee phases for me and that's it for me. However, having watched the docudrama 'A Journey in Time and Space' on iPlayer I have to say I'm of the opinion it was a very good bit of TV and as a none 'Who' fan I really enjoyed it.

My understanding is whilst a lot of the rights were signed away cheaply in the '60s (merchandising was really in its infancy back then and no one would have thought the the programme would be going strong 50 years later - ironically it was the Anderson's with Thunderbirds that were the first to cash in big style on spin offs and merchandising and it's more surprising they sold off the rights for that relatively cheaply in the late '70s given that Thunderbirds is only second to Star Wars from revenue generated by merchandise) they have built it back up again.

Marty...

The hype is just the way that the contemporary BBC handles things - although the same is as true of any other channel with its own content. The 50th anniversary programme is 'event TV' so the Beeb needs to get as many people watching as possible or else get egg on its face. The fact that it has to be packaged and sold so zealously is a sociological problem - a measure of how far the lowest common denominator has fallen, if you will.

I am officially sick to death of Zoe Ball, Connie Huq, McFly and a host of other people squealing and holding their crotches as they describe 'classic' and 'legendary' not to mention 'iconic' moments from the programme. Moments which, for the hard of thinking, happen to be being showing in the background at the same time as the nonentities hoot and holler.

But it's no different to all the irrelevant gum flapping and ego massage which fills at least an hour of all Formula One coverage. Or the coverage of the Queen's jubilee. We've got Sebastian Faulks heading the 1914 centenary planning committee as well... oh dear lord!

Personally I find the BBC's white elephant in Salford much more distressing than the grand old building in London. A film made about Bomber Command and filmed on location would doubtless stir someone to say 'I'm uncomfortable watching something filmed where the mass murder of civillians was planned and carried out' if they wanted to. Fine, it's their right to have that opinion.

As it is I believe we were treated to an entertaining and moving piece of drama in the form of A Journey Through Time And Space (haven't watched it yet but looking forward to it), and to mark the 50th anniversary of that first episode we will be getting a blockbuster new episode. Hooray.

Sadly the Beeb is starting to irritate those with more than three functioning braincells, not least with its endless mantra of '50 years of Doctor Who' (which there haven't been as the whole concept was on a shelf in the archives gathering dust for nearly two decades). It's the 50th anniversary of the first programme and I only hope that we get a rip-snorting 90 minutes on Saturday night.

• Like 1

Well aside from the occasional Dalek on Radio 2.

I seem to have escaped the whole shebang.

Although, we have 4 BBC international channels.

I thought it was all over, I may have been wrong!

Pete

(William Hartnell & Tom Baker get my votes. Stopped watching at Mccoy)

I would far rather have saturation coverage of Dr Who than say C Factor, I Was a Cebrity or whatever but others would disagree. It's the differences in opinion that are interesting.

Grit your teeth it'll be over next week!

Trevor

• Like 3

Ayup All...

Some interesting views to be sure, but I'm no Ingenue and can, I think, appreciate how things work nowadays, which was why I asked the questions. Apart from Bubble-Gum cards, I'd probably say that I dont think the Beeb could milk Dr Who for much more. I dont know if they still 'do' Annuals like we had when I was a kid, but then most kids hardly read nowadays if Its true what I hear in the Library. As to TV Centre, of course it's the only place to have filmed for a period drama, (the bloody sixties, a 'period' drama, how old am I ?) but I remember thinking as the Beeb finally announced theyd sold the site, there must be more than a few execs thinking thank Christ for getting rid of it at last as the Savile investigation runs and runs.

And yes, the Era of Who that we all identify with is seen through the lens of our childhood, Like Modelling, But don't you miss 'Quarry of the week' ? I do. me and my mates used to laugh like buggery at how bad they ALL were. But finally, the Doctor seems a lot more Androgynous to me than before. Although curvy Redheads seem to be the fashion for his companions, which just make him seem a litle more 'Wimpy' to me, if anything. (But I did like Catharine Tate. A superb piece of Totty.)

DR WHO is i think worse than ever,i stopped watching it a while ago and just catch a glimpse of it now and then,i will not be watching anything to do with the anniversary,instead i will wait with anticipation for the fan episodes of star trek phase 2,which is getting better and better.

Given that Dr Who (and Python) are among the best known British cultural icons worldwide, I don't think the BBC are overdoing it at all... It's utterly irrelevant whether any of us personally does or doesn't like the new series, or thinks that it was somehow "better" in the Pertwee, Troughton or Tom Baker years: objectively, worldwide, to millions of people, the 50th Anniversary IS a big deal. And using the best possible set for filming a period drama set in the BBC Television Centre? Well, doh!

Stu... this is for you:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1405911794

;-P

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon
  • Like 2

Well I thought last nights Program was was the best Docu-Drama the Beeb has done in ages myself and SWMBO really enjoyed it.....

Dr Who could have been such a good programme if the right people had been in charge at the start - a dark, gritty programme for grown-ups, shown around the watershed, could have been great...but thee dumbed it down and aimed it 5 year-olds (even though they have their own channels with kid-orientated programmes already.

And don't get me started on the tosh that was Torchwood... :nono:

AYE Torchwood,i quite enjoyed that,so much more fun than Doctor ewe,and that other spinoff was quite good,though i only saw it a few times,the one with tom bakers dog,and the best whosistant,cannot remember her name,doh sarah jane,ahhhh memories..

cheers Don

The 50th Anniversary is an event that won't be repeated so I don't blame the Beeb for making a big thing over it, as someone else has said its better than making a huge fuss over annually recycled crap such as The Voice, Apprentice or even Strictly.

I really enjoyed An Adventure in Time and Space last night, David Bradley made a superb Bill Hartnell and it was huge fun spotting the cameos of the original actors in various scenes.

What is the problem with filming a programme SET in Broadcasting House actually IN Broadcasting House while it still exists? Are you just complaining for the sake of complaining? A lot more has happened at Broadcasting House than Saville, so please get over that bit of garbage. Personally whenever I see the circular courtyard I remember Roy Castle and hundreds of tapdancers...

• Like 2