1/32 - Lockheed F-104G Starfigfhter by AFV-Club - back on stage ?

Homebee

Braille scale? 1/32?

I've never understood why some modellers refer to 1/72nd or smaller as Braille scale, surely Braille is required for those who are visually impaired? The bigger scale kits with their bigger parts are surely more suited to those who can't see so well so surely the term "Braille Scale" should apply to these?

Personally I need to model in "fingers like pork sausages" (polite version) scale!

Does this kit share anything in common with the forthcoming Italeri kit?

Wez

• Like 1

Not had the privilege of looking AFV products myself. How are they rated? I am guessing from comments so far that it will be good (better than Italeri) but also will cost a lot more?

John,

My only experience with AFV products is with their 1:48 scale F-5 Tiger II family of kits. They are modular in concept which seems to be the norm these days - the difference is that they fit like a dream and are very nice to build. They do suffer a little from the rivetting issue that ironically afflicted Hasegawas F-104 Starfighter family although the AFV kits are not as bad and it all gets toned down with a couple of coats of spray. The kits are nicely detailed without too much engineering although, curiously, they provided one of the prominent gun bays with doors that could be posed open but no internal detail !. There was speculation that they intended to issue a super detailed version but this has not materialised - suffice to say the AM fraternity came to the rescue with some nicely portrayed resin gun bays. I understand the AFV Club Armoured kits are highly regarded and that is, after all, their main line in kits. So, this could be a promising competition between the two kit manufacturers, mindful of the fact that, IMHO, Italeri kits seem to be getting better with every new release too.

Hope this helps

Mark

• Like 2

Thanks Mark - comments much appreciated. They reinforce my first thoughts to hold off buying a new 1/32 F104 to go with my Hasegawa bird which has all the CmK am stuff in the stash until both Italeri and AFV kits are out and compared, especially as regards available price if they are close on quality

• 2 weeks later...

Does the world really need two new 1/32 Starfighters at almost the same time? And is really the Hasegawa one that bad that we need another one? (I would say: No!) Competition is good, but not always... There are plenty of other objects that I would rather see in this scale. A Draken, for example... ;)

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 1

Does the world really need two new 1/32 Starfighters at almost the same time?

Probably not, but that business.

When airfix were asked why they did a new too Lancaster when revell had already done one? they said a Revell Kit makes no money for Airfix!

AFV make primarily for their own market so even if its more expensive here than an Italeri one, it wont be there.

Julien

• Like 1

The kits are nicely detailed without too much engineering although, curiously, they provided one of the prominent gun bays with doors that could be posed open but no internal detail !. There was speculation that they intended to issue a super detailed version but this has not materialised - suffice to say the AM fraternity came to the rescue with some nicely portrayed resin gun bays. I understand the AFV Club Armoured kits are highly regarded and that is, after all, their main line in kits. So, this could be a promising competition between the two kit manufacturers, mindful of the fact that, IMHO, Italeri kits seem to be getting better with every new release too.

Mark, the open bay is for their own aftermarket company (Hobby Fan) to release updates. The fact that the kits adapt to other faster moving aftermarket companies is excellent for us since we can have competition which invigorates innovation, accuracy, pricing (and lets us decide on value).

Probably not, but that business.

When airfix were asked why they did a new too Lancaster when revell had already done one? they said a Revell Kit makes no money for Airfix!

Spot on Julien, they are making this for their own profit with subjects tailored to their market. They have released other companies kits with additional parts for their own market (examples at the moment are from their AFV line such as a Hobby Boss landing craft without the interior or Academy's M-60 with parts for the Taiwanese market).

Very odd choice of subject since Italeri are releasing a what seems a good kit.

There would be some better aircraft that would have been worth a try

Suggest to them a subject from the Taiwanese inventory and they may consider it! I asked for the U-2. Note that I have dealt with the company with armor subjects and they do respond well to suggestions which are backed up with references. Suggestions without references get binned as they haven't asked for an aircraft wish list yet.

Regards,

• 9 months later...

As he says, any *news* on the prospective AFV offering ?

I did succumb to the Italeri G and the reviews seem a little harsh, though it's still bagged and boxed so I can't vouch for fit.

I just hope that Italeri or AFV do a twin-seater. Lots of character.

Tony

• 4 months later...