Wingnut Wings Albatros

Ah, thank you..

Beautiful - we want more pictures not less! Did you use wood decals for the external finish?

Yes, they're the Uschi Van der Rosten wood grain decals.. Really good product - they're quite time consuming on a build like this but I couldn't replicate the grain to that level by oils - so worth the effort I think..

Guy

I've resisted the urge to get one of the WNW kits because I know that I'd end up wanting to do them all. This may just push me over the edge, great build.

Pete

Go for it Pete - you won't regret it - the only problem is they make you a bit of a kit snob!

The Pfalz is a particularly nice kit to start off with - I'll post some pics of that one shortly..

People say they're expensive, but I think they're really good value - you can get one from Hannants for under £70 and you really don't need any extras - and the quality is really top notch..

Guy

I actually looked at the Uschi Van der Rosten decals at the IPMS show but did not buy. Are they difficult to use? I notice that your lozenge decals have a lovely worn / material look to them - are these out of the box from WnW?

Hi,

The Uschi decals are easy enough to use - same as a regular decal - worth doing some experimentation first though to get the base colour right - as this really impacts on the finished look - they're about 80% transparent.

Yes, the Wingnuts lozenge is the one area of the kit which , in my opinion, falls short - the quality of the decal is excellent but the colours are way too bright for my taste. The Lozenge I used is a 'Wood & Wire' product from Nordland Models - really excellent, but very delicate and easy to split! They come in many different options of lozenge - Aviattic are the other manufacturers - these are brilliant too, and very well researched. I guess it just comes to personal choice..

Guy

How did... I mean.... the wood effect... the engine... I mean, how? It's not possible to do... the gun.... just WOW!! Unbelievably good! It's making my head hurt!! Just brilliant!! THanks for sharing this build :)

Guy

that is fabulous, an absolute pleasure to look at - repeatedly!

As you say, WnW kits are the dogs but you still need to build them and you sir seem to have the measure of them!

cheers

Rick

Thanks all,

The kits are pretty close to perfection, but yes, they do still take a long time to make. They seem to take me about 3 times as long as a regular kit...

One good thing, if you haven't done WW1 before, is things like struts and undercarriages slot into place with a positive connection, taking out the effort of trying to get everything to set at correct angles!

Guy