Vulcan B1 Squadron query

Pete in Lincs

On the wall of a small BAE Systems office on Riyadh Airbase,

Is an 8 x 6 inch picture of a White Vulcan B1 coming in to land.

It could be Scampton's newly extended runway as the fence looks new.

The only markings that can be seen on the aircraft is a small

black 92, 93 or 94? on the fin. The shot is from the front left.

No one now knows why the picture is there, Or how long it has been there.

I'm just curious to know if anyone can speculate on what I've given and

maybe help with a squadron and maybe an approximate date.

Pete,

Obviously the number you mentioned might have no relevance to the Sqn concerned, and I am no Vulcan expert, but given the numbers you mentioned could they actually be 83 or 44 both of which were Vulcan operators. Very tenuous I know but just a thought!

Good luck

Mal

Edited by Canberra Fan

Pete, if it's white and definitely has straight leading edges then it can only be one of the two prototypes VX770 or VX777. Not sure what these numbers are, is it part of a serial or a separate number high on the fin ?. A couple of straight winged B1's were built, (in silver) but the rest of them came off the production line with the phase 2 wings which were kinked....interesting though.

Again, Thanks for the interest.

Definitely straight wings.

Two black numbers halfway up the fin but closer to the leading edge than the rudder.

First number looks like a 9 second one is indeterminate.

I wondered if they could be exhibit numbers applied for an SBAC show?

Ah well, I'll keep looking. Just curious.

Thanks again

Pete

Just checked the Crowood Vulcan book. There are photos of VX770, VX777 and XA890 (second production aircraft, used on trials until 1969 and retaining the straight wing throughout) carrying the AVRO logo on the fin - you can see it, not very clearly, here, but the individual characters seem to stand out a lot more plainly in the admittedly small and less than pin-sharp pictures in the book. It couldn't be the weathered remnants of this badge, by any chance? And then there's this. If you look very carefully, there are some characters painted immediately above the fin flash. Again, there's a photo of the same aircraft in the book, in which they're more distinct but still illegible - to me, anyway.

Most odd.

Memory, (And this was just the other day!),

Says that it had an all white nose.

Memory also cannot remember a fin flash.

Although, given the angle, that could have been hidden by the wing.

I'll have to think up an excuse to go back & have another gander.

This may take a while. I'll get back to you.

thank you

Pete

On the wall of a small BAE Systems office on Riyadh Airbase,

Is an 8 x 6 inch picture of a White Vulcan B1 coming in to land.

It could be Scampton's newly extended runway as the fence looks new.

The only markings that can be seen on the aircraft is a small

black 92, 93 or 94? on the fin. The shot is from the front left.

No one now knows why the picture is there, Or how long it has been there.

I'm just curious to know if anyone can speculate on what I've given and

maybe help with a squadron and maybe an approximate date.

According to Wings of Fame Vol.3 The first five B1s were delivered with the straight wing; XA889, XA890, XA891, XA892 & XA893. All of these eventually had the "Phase 2" wings retro-fitted, and as Melchie says, appear to have been delivered in overall silver. XA894 was held back on the production line to be the first Vulcan with a "Phase 2- kinked" wing. So it could have been either XA892 or '893, though that doesn't explain the plane being white.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Jennings, It is white & has straight leading edges to the wings.

Mal, The angle is such that the numbers could be 83.

Thanks for the prompt replies, Gents.

Pete

Hi Pete I have come across this thread and I have been having a think.

There was one very little photographed B1 Vulcan XA893 apparently this one retained its straight wing to the end. I have only seen it painted in silver but some of the silver B1s were repainted white, XA896 XA900 Were definitely silver and white I have seen movies and photos of them as such.

XA893 I have seen In silver with black forward radome and a very dark almost black rear section radome with a black fin cap and D type Roundels wearing silver painted finish and no numbers. It is possible you might have seen it having its numbers added when In silver or perhaps it was indeed white. She was kicking around till about 1971 apparently. A long test machine according to the little info I can find on this particular Vulcan.

The other Silver B1s with a straight edge had the original Kinked leading edge fitted later so its not likely to be them.

The prototypes VX770 Crashed. and VX777 Had the straight wing replaced first with the B1 Kinked wing and then later refitted with the much larger B2 wing so its not likely to be them either.

So I am keen to find out more about XA893 as this seems to be a very illusive Vulcan I can't find anymore photos of her except her nose in Cosford painted in a non representative but none the less cool fictitious scheme.

Love to see the photo.

Cheers Rob ;)

Sorry Chaps,

I thought I'd solved this one myself.

And thought I'd posted the result on here.

Maybe I just replied to one of the Herr Generals telegrams.

I eventually got back there and.....

Under a magnifiying glass, The 'numbers'

turned out to be an Elephant.

No sign of a serial number.

And, Yes, The wing was kinked.

Sorry to cause a fuss.

Pete