Lightning flying again!

andy wood

Hmmm I wonder if they would eventually take paying customers for a ride again?

How much were those flights last time?

One can only dream. Maybe I should start thinking about booking my hols around any airshows they might be having!

Mart

• Like 1

I would give my left gonad to see one of English Electric's finest in the air again, but after spending 4 fantastic years at Binbrook working on Lightning's I know how complicated and labour intensive the aircraft are to maintain. Even with the limitless resources we had at our disposal at Binbrook keeping them flying was hard work and very expensive. The crash report for ZU-BEX made for shocking reading with regards to the maintenance practices that were employed, although I have read elsewhere that there is legal action pending over claims some details of the crash report were untrue, we'll have to wait and see on that one though.

For a small civvy outfit to keep a Lightning flying in the condition it demands is always going to be a huge and massively expensive undertaking, I wish them well in this undertaking, but also hope they do things right and don't take shortcuts.

• Like 1

Let's hope they have better luck this time round. :pray: I wish them well, but doubt I'll ever get to see 'em in the air :shrug:

Luck was not the problem, as the official inquiry showed:

http://www.caa.co.za/resource%20center/accidents%20&%20incid/reports/2009/8706.pdf

Edited by Work In Progress

It is not to be.

The airshow has been cancelled yesterday. As yet no official explanation. Only that the order came from the CAF.

Needless to say sponsors and organisers and the rest are not happy at the moment.