Tamiya 1/12 Honda RC166

injidup

Having given up on the Fujimi McLaren F1, I've decided to try something that will hopefully go together better.

And it looks like I've chosen a good one! I was tempted to start one of my 1/12 Lotus 72s but they are old kits and I wanted something that would produce a nice result without too much rectification.

I've started on the rear wheel and engine and I'm enjoying it!

I haven't decided whether to buy the extra wheel kit, I can do that further into the build.

Progress pics so far...

Wheel:

10955291946_fe7e7795aa.jpg
10955303436_10c6b28bf9.jpg
10955401094_d54be7d67c.jpg
I realise there is some flash on the spokes, but they are very delicate and I really don't want to have to strip the chrome (it's not too bad) and spray them. Quite fiddly to get all the spokes in the correct holes in the rim.
Engine:
Cylinder head has valves moulded in the combustion chambers! (Reminds me of Roy's Pocher Rolls Royce! But much smaller!)
10955415434_13b781902d.jpg
Block. Each cooling vane is a separate piece!
10955241925_c7f7275783.jpg
Michael's CB750 build spurred me on to making this, but I don't plan to do anything like the weathering he did! This will be a clean racing machine. I imagine Honda would have been very meticulous with their bikes, even in the 1960's when the competition was Triumphs and Nortons with their oil leaks!
Edited by injidup

Just found a link to the bike's page on Honda's website...

http://world.honda.com/MotoGP/history/RC166/

And here is one of the pistons...

200508291516220_Honda+RC166+250cc+6-Cyl_

Bore of 4cm and stroke of 3cm meant a red line of 18,000rpm! In 1966. It produced 65hp (a 1990's Suzuki RG250 2-stroke road bike only managed 59hp!)

Edited by injidup

Hi injidup,

I have this kit and was saving it until I can do it justice. I was wondering how robust the wheels are, as like you, I have considered the wheel set. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Rob

Hi Rob,

The wheels are a little delicate, but I don't see that as too much of a problem as long as I'm careful with them. Still undecided whether to go for the fancy wheels!

A little more progress. The engine has (mostly) been painted as have the hub for the rear wheel. Still some parts to go on the engine, and then detail the bolt heads, etc. And then get on to the carbs. 6 of them!

10959900055_3eee0b9389.jpg
10959990766_450d1a0129.jpg
10959917885_ac6a9ebd68.jpg
More soon!
Kev.

A bit more work on the engine. I decided to use pure Titanium Gold, rather than darken it as per the instructions.

Also assembled the frame, which needs a little clean up then paint. Engine dry-fitted to see how it looks.

It's going very well so far.

10977635945_249846d748.jpg

I took a day off work to do a track day in my Lotus, and had some time this afternoon to do some work on the Honda.

I sprayed the frame and the tank. I think I'll do one more coat of red before polishing it then do a clear coat over the decals. Hope they don't wrinkle.

I started assembling the six tiny carburetors, which made my back and eyes ache from peering through the magnifying light!

10991316393_247ed95087.jpg

Tank and frame dry fitted for the photo.

Edited by injidup

Really great to see a work in progress on this kit and it looks superb so far!

I've often considered getting this kit, after seeing this I will! You should claim commission from tamiya!!

Apart from the fiddly carbs, I'm enjoying this build, which is just what I need after the frustrating McLaren. It goes together so well and the parts are well designed and the sprues all join at points that are hidden after assembly. Thoughtful design, something missing on Fujimi's kit.

After this I have to decide whether to build another new kit (Red Bull RB6 or Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire) or go for an old Lotus 72. Maybe the Lotus as it's 1/12 and easy for my eyes! :-)

I deny everything!

A 250cc 6-cylinder! Madness!!!

Some lovely glamour shots of expensive metal here: http://world.honda.com/MotoGP/history/RC166/

Ooh, may I suggest using Alcad semi-matt aluminium and a gloss coat for the fairing? Traditional metallic paints have far too big metallic pigment for this scale. They make models look like they're finished in that same stuff you see on bumper cars and bowling balls, and it'd be a shame to do that to such a lovely, delicate model like this.

Thanks for the tips, Michael. I know there's an Alclad stockist in Oz (Brisbane, I think) Hopefully even one in Perth!

I'm quite happy with Tamiya's sprays so far but will do a spoon test first to see how the metal particles look.

Did a bit more on the carbs. They aren't finished yet, but I wanted to see how they looked...

10992559635_2db08d89d0.jpg

10992773233_9a7c9294f6.jpg

The engine/frame looking good. I might be tempted to try a very light wash of Tamiya smoke to suggest a bit of shadow, but then it is easy for me to say as it is not my model! Keep up the good work. :thumbsup2:

love the engine, and it looks lovely all dry fitted together. have you thought of maybe using stretched heat-shrink tubing for the control cables etc. its easy to do and you can stretch it to a more appropriate thickness and is massively easier to route to the controls.