Canadair North Star

Jessica

I'm building this in parallel with a DC-9 for a "Then and Now" group build on another site. This is the Minicraft DC-4 combined with the Bra.Z Merlins with the "Canadian" crossover exhausts. It will wear late TCA markings from the long extinct Whisky Jack sheet.

The first order of business is to remove all the DC-4sih intakes, exhausts and whatnot from the engine nacelles and graft on the Merlins

t_n_9.jpg

And a test fit with the fuselage

t_n_10.jpg

Edited by Jessica
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some filler to smooth off the joins between the resin and the plastic
t_n_11.jpg
The Bra.Z conversion provides 4 extra propeller blades to round out the correct number required by a North Star. Unfortunately, the blades had air bubble holes in the tips. I solved this problem by supergluing in some segments of plastic rod
t_n_12.jpg
And after cleaning them up, and supplementing them with the plastic blades from the DC-4 kit, I have 4 blade North Star propellers
t_n_13.jpg
Each blade is less than 1 cm long, so it's a rather fiddly procedure to cut them off, clean them up and then glue them into the tiny little 4mm wide spinner without getting superglue all over my fingers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one Jess

You mention the correct number of blades but the Noth Star mostly had three bladers only some of the TCA fleet had four blades giving three and four blades in the fleet at the same time. All other Canadair fours had three blades, only TCA used four, and any of those sold on with the four bladed prop fitted.

Hi Jes

Re the props.

I was not referring to the non pressuried M-1 but the M-2 which did have three and four bladed even after crossovers.

TCA maintained two fleets, some three balded and some four bladed. Although most did have four blades in the end they can be made with three blaed. CF-TFP is one such that had three blades and crossovers.

I only mention it as it might make the conversion a little easier for some.

Something about a domestic and and overwater fleet.

Interesting. In all my reading I hadn't come across the mixture of propeller types. I've always understood that the 4 blade props were a TCA thing with their pressurised "final version" North Stars and that any 3 blade aircraft they had were borrowed to pick up Canadair's production slack. The Bra.Z conversion assumes that 4 blades are a given, since the spinner is drilled for 4 blades rather than three. You'd either need to mix and match, or fill and drill to put three blades on the kit. At this point the distinction is food for an interesting and edifying conversation but it won't affect my model given that I've finished all 4 propellers with 4 blades already.

I have 2 of the Braz conversion (B4KEN1) for the NorthStar and just by luck they are for the RCAF version with the 6 stack non-crossover exhausts and 3 blade prop. The version I intended to build anyway. When I ordered them, I had no idea that there was more than one type.

I have only seen a few(very few) pics of 4 bladers in RCAF service and I think they all were with 412 Sqn.

Hopefully we'll see more pics soon Jessica.

Watchin' with interest, Tony