Airfix Tiger Moth

Denford

If those cad views are anything to go by then this kit is going to be a stunner!! Just love the attention to deatil on the walkway and wing fixing bracket! BUT still not in stock!!

Spill the beans then!

Okay... walking around in their warehouse a few years ago, I was concentrating on the kits. However, I had an odd feeling that there was something quite familar at the back of the warehouse.

In there was a couple of old cars, a caravan and... a Harrier GR3 and a Sea Harrier FRS.1 !!!! I was amazed. Both jets were up on sticks with the mainplanes removed and stacked behind them.

I went and found one of the managers and told him that the GR3 that he had was one of my jets from Germany. We had a chat about Harriers and when he found out I was a plumber he asked about the ejection seat and the guns.

I showed him how to dismantle the ejection seat, pulling the seat pan out first and then removing the headbox and finally the gun. Then we put it back in.

He then wanted to know about the guns and the gunpods. I removed the panels from the starboard gunpod and started to explain about how to drop the guns and then take off the empty gunpod.

Now... the thing with the starboard gunpod of a Harrier is that it is close to the shark's fin. When the engine shuts down it leaves some unburned fuel in the combustion chamber which can cause a fire hazard. A scavenger pump dumps this fuel from a vent on shutdown. However the vent sticks out in an aerodynamic fairing which looks just like a shark's fin, so preventing the fuel from running along the fuselage skin. The GTS is a small jet engine which acts as an APU and starter when the jet is on the deck without Houchin support. The GTS also has a fuel vent which is located three feet higher up than the shark's fin.

Unfortunately the tip of the shark's fin it at the perfect height to catch an unwary plumber in the eye as he is loading the starboard gun. The plumber will then shout "Oh for fffffff......!" and stand up, catching the GTS vent in the back of his head.

Plumbers on a Harrier squadron were often seen to be sporting a black eye and a bleeding scalp because of this.

So... it had been fourteen years since I last loaded the guns of a Harrier. I was still perfectly happy with the procedure, but in my excitement I had totally forgetten about that shark's fin. And it caught me. Right on my temple! OWWWW!

I shouted "Oh for fffffff......!" and stood up. That was when the GTS vent had a go at me as well.

Black eye and bleeding scalp. No matter how much you love 'em, Harriers will always try and hurt you!

• Like 16

Nice story Enzo, well not so nice for you.

As for the Tiger. I will be indulging. Years ago I took lots of pictures of a Tiger Moth with the intention of building the 1/32 Matchbox kit. That never happened. But their time has come. Slightly boring scheme but impeccable references.

• Like 1

Geedubelyar:

Yes I can scan them if you like. But I warn you it's a pretty dull civil scheme. Silver with a bit of red and strangely; interior green flying wires. Plus the photos date back to eighties with all that implies. There's about twenty photos, plenty of close ups though.

Edited by noelh

I feel a Tiger Moth GB in my bones!! So, how do all Tiger Moth fans feel about it? Any kit as long its a Tiger Moth. Jackaroo conversions would be allowed but thats about it. Maybe the Queen Bee radio controlled ones could be allowed, BUT must be Tiger Moth airframe.

DH.60 Gipsy Moths could be allowed at a pinch. Would consider all Moths but a majority of them don't exist in kit form ....yet, so no go for them sadly.

With the Airfix one coming and the readily available and nice kit by AZ plus those stashed Aeroclub 1/48th and Matchbox/Revell kits too seems right to do one! Lots of schemes to choose from.....

From the Airfix Facebook page:

"Being released tomorrow, should be available to purchase in the next day or two"

Pity it wont be in time for the weekend.

• Like 1

and nice kit by AZ

I wouldn't qualify the AZ kit as nice, in fact it was for me the deception of the year. About 4 mm difference in span among both wings, different wing tips between both wings, wrong fuselage in plan view at the rear... All this is enough for me, and I'm pleased for only having one. Why I am so certain that Airfix will get it right?

You mentioned Puss Moth and other DH's in the AZ thread. Well, if they have done what they have done with a readily available aircraft, both in documents and in preserved aircraft, what would they do with a comparably obscure Hornet Moth?

Hi All,

Well I'm looking forward to getting one.

Beautiful photos, Daniel!

I did a vacform 1/72 Pussmoth in 1972 and there's parts of the 1:48 one in the pattern boxes.

John

How about making another run of the 1/72 kit? I'm sure there would be enough interest only here in BM.

• Like 1

I wouldn't qualify the AZ kit as nice, in fact it was for me the deception of the year. About 4 mm difference in span among both wings, different wing tips between both wings, wrong fuselage in plan view at the rear... All this is enough for me, and I'm pleased for only having one. Why I am so certain that Airfix will get it right?

You mentioned Puss Moth and other DH's in the AZ thread. Well, if they have done what they have done with a readily available aircraft, both in documents and in preserved aircraft, what would they do with a comparably obscure Hornet Moth?

Beautiful photos, Daniel!

Shame you feel that way about the AZ kit. I'm not a micrometer modeller and I haven't really examined the AZ kit that closely. But I have every confidence in Airfix in doing a fine job on their new kit!!!!!

As for my other DH suggestions ....Why not produce kits of them? there a few around to measure from and the Hornet is still around and fits in the family. Obscure or not Its a nice aeroplane.

Hi John,
I have a second set of those decals as a back up. I used 'CDC on my Pavla kit and the Canadian serial portion on my recent one I did for the Training Types GB. Still have one of your kits partly made which I may resurrect to go with the two mentioned and the many Airfix ones to come!! :whistle:

But, If you ever have plans to do the Hornet, give me a nod!! :winkgrin: