Revell 1/144 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 - Completed

Speedman

My tenth and FINAL build for this group... It was going to be a lovely Matchbox Hawker Fury but I've decided to convert it to a Yugoslavian built version so I'll wait and take my time. So in it's place I'm doing a little PRU Spitfire in pink with fictional markings, I really can't justify spending more than the kit cost to print out a few grey letters and a serial number :P

My kit came with two sets of decals, I'm sure they'll come in handy for something else as some point.

2013-11-1821_59_23_zpsdf19ac1f.jpg

All parts removed from the sprue.

2013-11-1822_06_44_zpsd81d267c.jpg

Wings and fuselage glued and setting... It's going well seeing how I only opened the box six minutes ago! :lol:

2013-11-1822_23_00_zpsc8128d0b.jpg

Edited by Speedman

Very good I picked this up 2 days ago and put it back down, Wish I hadn't now, i have still got the typhoon to make but its stalled. ... They are nice little kits. Canopy masking might be a PITA though.

The canopy on this little Spit is horrible, nothing like the correct shape so I'll be having a go at correcting it plus I'm going to have to add the side blisters to it. As far as masking goes, to be honest I hand paint most of my 1/144 & 1/200 canopies, with the right type of brush (and a steady hand) you can get some very good results. I work with quite a thin paint mix and put down 3-4 coats, I practice on scrap bomb and drop tank halves and or if it's a really tiny canopy I'll use thick sprue. Call me crazy but I find it relaxing :mental:

This was one of my first when I got back into modelling earlier in the year.

2013-05-2616_17_1001_zps362f4c42.jpg

I'm quite sad to read this is your last one for the GB.

With five builds at various stages for this one, two builds with a lot left to do for KUTA VI and the two sci-fi conversions I've just started I've got quite a lot on my plate right now. I've just worked out that since I finished my first model since getting back into it on 23rd May, I've averaged a completed build every nine days! :o I have really enjoyed this group and although I originally intended on doing a couple of builds I'm glad I've gone a bit mental ^_^

• Like 1

I've been looking for a 1/144 build to join in with this GB, couldn't think of any or get any for a decent price. These little Revell kits totally slipped my mind!

Got a few of these kits, so will be watching with interest :)

(btw I settled for an Revell 1/72 Airacobra instead)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

(btw I settled for an Revell 1/72 Airacobra instead)

Beware of the nose, It's off-centre and all over the place! Also, the cockpit doors don't line up with the canopy. :blink:

The fuselage and wings have been filled and sanded, I had to remove the intake from the front of the wings as it was moulded off centre (thought I was going mad getting them cock-eyed every time I test fitted them). The next step is to get some dihedral in those very straight wings.

2013-11-20101043_zps8d53e969.jpg

2013-11-20101352_zpscdc5904a.jpg

Coming in nicely. I built this for the 144 GB, the intake was awful on my kit removing it also made it easier tosand the nose to wing join. It might be a bit late but I added dihedral by sanding a little but off the upper wing roots and pulling the wings up to close the gap (if that makes sense?)

Pink PRU is a great idea as well

Edited by Neal

I did the same as you and took some off the wing, then I tacked the wing fore and aft with a drop of CA. I used a hairdryer to heat the centre section and gently bent the wings into place. I ran some glue around the wing joints and plugged the bigger gaps with some card. After that I trimmed and fitted the tailplane then filled, where needed, with Mr. Surfacer.

2013-11-2121030501_zps0f01d4dd.jpg

2013-11-2121041301_zps3b929d97.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder if these are the same kits I made as a kid in the 1990s . They were damn good fun. I think I stuck cotton wool to them and used black paint and fishing float day glow orange paint for the fire..

Revell have been periodically releasing these kits since the late '60s. From what I can tell, the latest releases (2012/2013) have new markings so if you can find older versions as well you can build 2 different aircraft. The problem is sellers on eBay seem to think the old kits are worth something and I've seen starting prices of £6.99 + p&p! Even the new releases are ridiculously priced buy eBay shops at a "But it now" of £4.99 + p&p. :lol: I get them for £1.99 in Antics.

Edited by Speedman

The Sabre picture shows you've picked things up pretty quickly since restarting! :goodjob:

I remember buying these on the Edgware Road back in the early 70s. I had the Corsair until the last house move.

If you try it Rob use a small brush (DOH!) and take it easy. You'll be surprised how quick you'll improve. It any paint does go where it shouldn't then let it dry until it's soft and then it can be removed using a cocktail stick soaked in thinners.

Nice to see some effective detailing even in 1:144 :)

All the 1:144 stuff that I've done in the past has been airliner size, which is almost 'cheating'! Must try something this size I think.

Cliff

• Like 1

After a lot of reshaping the canopy is looking a bit more like it should and I've drilled out the camera window. The prop has been cleaned up but still needs a final sanding which will be done tonight, tomorrow I should get some primer on it.

2013-11-2818242501_zps7c28730f.jpg

2013-11-2818253301_zpse65f5541.jpg

• Like 2

Well this one has been three different colours today! After the light grey plastic got couple of coats of white primer, I made up some scale corrected pink using Revell's matt white and gloss Ferrari acrylics and brush painted five very thin coats. As there were no canopy frames (even before I worked on the shape), I've roughed them in and will tidy them up with a cocktail stick. It's going to get a couple of coats of Clear on after that.

2013-11-3017140301_zps2aa8d3c6.jpg

2013-11-301842500101_zps15636fd5.jpg

• Like 1

Canopy tidied up and the decals are on :) The decals are a real mix from my stash, the roundels are from a Mark 1 1/144 set, fin flashes are from Xtradecal's fantastic 1/144 Hunter sheet, serial from a Minicraft's 1/144 Tempest and the "G" is a letter from a Frog Lancaster serial. Due to the Frog decal I'm nicknaming this one "Pinky G" :P

2013-12-0123115701_zps5be52f93.jpg