Matt varnish White mess

hobbit31

Hi all, newbie here, apologies if this topic has been covered, but couldn't find anything during my initial search.

Ive just completed a 1/72nd lancaster and decided to give it a brush coat of enamel matt varnish, but even though i gave it a good stir and shake once it dried it went all white streaks and looks a mess.

What have i done wrong and can it be fixed ???

Sometimes this is caused by humidity, try putting gloss varnish onto a small patch the white should disappear. If it does gloss the lot then reapply the matt in thin coats. Might not work for a brush coated model, but works well if using spray varnish.

No guarantees but it worked a couple of time for me.

Thank you silver fox I will give it a go, I will try anything as its been a long build and when that happened well .....I could have given it a test flight out the back door :(

Edited by hobbit31

To be honest Hobbit, brush painting varnish (matt or gloss) is a high risk option. It is hard to get all the matting particles properly in suspension and spreading evenly.

I would always advocate using an aerosol spray for finish coating your models

Which brings new worries :( I have had Acrylic matt varnishes go grey if I sprayed too soon after painting the model)

Striving for perfection is a minefield :(

b

I've had this a few times and agree about Humidity. Force drying varnish can have this effect too. If you have some Kleer or the newer Humbrol stuff, giving a few coats of that seems to remove the white look whilst being very thin and self levelling.

Brush painting a model with matt varnish can be done you just need to take your time and work with a nice wide flat brush. This 1:24 hurricane was brush painted and then varnished, took a while.

fixed01.jpg

I would though say humbrol do their varnish in cans these days which might be easier. I have also found airbrushing varnish is much easier!

• Like 1

Many thanks for all of your replies, really appreciate the feedback, in the end I repainted the whole model, time consuming but worth it,

Thanks again.

If anyone can let me know how to remove paint from the plastic cockpit canopy without smearing/damaging it, i'd really appreciate that too lol :winkgrin:

Edited by hobbit31

Maybe you didn't thin it quite enough. To remove paint from the clear parts, dip them into an oven cleaner (foam type) for twenty minutes or so. Then rub the canopy with an old tooth brush and gently polish it with a nail polishing stick.

Best wishes

• Like 1