1/144 Zvezda Boeing 767 BA

Arpie

Hello all,

I'm currently embarking on a long term project to build all of BA's current fleet available in plastic (though I have given up hope of a 777). I recently asked for some help in the modern civil forum and thanks to the help and advice in that thread I decided to pick up a Zvezda 767 at Telford. Kit decals and RR engines in place it was time t start the build.

First up some sprue shots, the Zvezda kit is very nice with crisply moulded details.

P1020544_zpsb7bf160f.jpg

P1020545_zps7f9743cb.jpg

P1020546_zpsafe44718.jpg

P1020547_zps40fe840d.jpg

The decals are from Two-Six and are very nicely printed as always.

P1020543_zpscf68fd1e.jpg

On to the build, first job is to spray the interior black, I used Humbrol Hu33 acrylic rattle can.

P1020568_zps60391594.jpg

Next job is to add the nose weight and forward undercarriage bay.

P1020572_zpsd0c33f78.jpg

And quickly it's time to zip up the fuselage.

P1020573_zps3ed3db75.jpg

Next time to add the wings these are well moulded and the fit to the fuselage is almost a snap fit.

P1020574_zps475949ee.jpg

P1020577_zpsa8828355.jpg

That is possibly the best scheme ever seen on a B767, looking forward to seeing this one finished. Whose engines are you using or do the RB211-524s come with the Zvezda kit? I can't see them on the sprues.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Thanks for the interest guys yes I think the BA scheme whilst simple is one of the most effective out there. Busdriver the Zvezda kit does not come with the RR engines I was sold a pair by a member on here.

The 767 has been making slow progress as I have ben concentrating on my A319. She has however had her windscreen Kleared and installed, I find with airliners the cockpit glazing really gives the aircraft it's charecter. Other wise it was on with the filler as I am not great at getting the fuselage halves to remain perfectly cylindrical.

P1020582_zpsf8e1f9e0.jpg

• 1 month later...

Long time no see on this build! This is mostly due to my own impatients and spraying on a far to thick cote of primer whic then needed to be stripped back before I could continue. Unfortuneately this prosses also left some of the pannel lines un-recoverable which is a shame but as I build my airliners 'clean' no great loss.

The next job was to join the replacemnt Revell RB211s to the Zvezda wings. The Revell parts webt together very well but the attachment tab needed to be removed as the Zvezda attachment point is completly smooth. Other wise the pylin shapes and sizes between the engines are very different meaning a lot of filling to fair in the smaller RB211 pylon. I was also not happy with the shape of the Revell pylon and did some minor remedial work to suggest more at the correct shape. It is by no means accurate but it gives a better impression then the original pylon that I am happy with.

Engines added and base cote saved it was time for some Halfords Appliance white.

P1020621_zps4719de88.jpg

P1020634_zps0c936f9b.jpg

• Like 1

That Halfords Appliance White always seems to give such a great result - thinking next time I'm in the UK I need to smuggle a case home.

Lookin' good.

Cheers,

Mike

Many thanks guys. MikeW Halfords is by far the best for getting a pure white finish that also doesn't take an inordinate amount of cotes to apply. At a pinch the Humbrol spray white is also good but doesn't have the sheen.

Fuselage sprayed it was time to move to the wings. I've seen many debates over which grey is best but in the end I plumped for Hu40 becuase a) I had it in stock and b ) comparing it to pics it came out very favourably. One thing I had forgotten was quite how gloopy it was however which makes it a pain to brush paint and not fill in the fine engraved detail.

P1020639_zps2aa406d2.jpg

Masking for the coroguard and the BA World Blue next.

Edited by Arpie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

She is progressing slowly but surely the wings were masked an corogaurd applied. For this I use Humbrol 56 which I've found gives the right effect on smaller airliners but I've never built wings this big, I was however happy with the result (though not my masking!). I also used polished steel for the leading edge which usually has a nice metallic shine to it but has ended up very dull which is a shame.

P1020657_zpsd5dba380.jpg

Wings done it was time for some BA World Blue. I used the Xtracolour BA Blue which may be a tad dark but does lighten considerably based on the lighting conditions (far more variation then I'm used to in a paint). However after a lot of mixing it does come good but not the easiest of colours to brush paint.

P1020666_zps2554ac22.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After three cotes the blue was an acceptable coverage and the masking could be removed. I took this opportunity to prop her up on her legs which are comendably robust.

P1020674_zps8a89f487.jpg

The nacelles were completed and it was time to add the decals. Unfortunatly the first sheet I used did not turn out well however a quick email to Ray at 2-6 and I recieved a replacement set the next day. A big thanks to Ray for such good customer service. The new set behaved impecably and looked very good once applied.

P1020676_zps540e91bc.jpg

On the home straight I decided to add the landing gear and associated doors.

P1020677_zpsc6c0dbe4.jpg

There was not much left other then some remedial touch ups and to add the tail planes which are such a good fit they simply snapped into place.

P1020679_zpsd7949272.jpg

A very plesurable build and one that has kept me with the airliner 'bug'. A big thank you to the members who gave me help in the Modern Airliner forum and to Ray at 2-6 for his sterling service.

• Like 1