Antonov An-71 Madcap

Hi,

Built alongside the similar An-74 and brought out of the stash by a request for a copy of the instructions by a fellow Britmodeller, this found its way onto my workbench! The Amodel parts provide a replacement fuselage from behind the cockpit and the rotodome and are very well done in their usual fibreglass. The original base kit (Toko/Roden) provides the rest and the engine panels don't fit at all well requiring much filler and sanding.

To help with the masking I scanned the kit decals, printed them out and taped them onto the model. Once the white and grey were applied I started to apply the decals which decided to explode on contact with water! Luckily I had kept the scan and used it to produce my own decals which went on without any further problems.

I originally was going to follow Ken Duffey's (Flankerman) example and convert the Toko kit, Ken was kind enough to send me lots of information on the An-71 about 15 years ago, which was invaluable in this build. Cheers Ken.

Couldn't find any photos showing the intake on the upper fuselage for the third engine, but didn't think Amodel's 'representation' of nothing at all was very likely so I cut out a rectangle and added some mesh. No idea if it's correct but it looks better than just seeing the fuselage through the open door.

Anyway here it is......

DSCF4936.JPGDSCF4937.JPGDSCF4938.JPG

Steve

• Like 2

Great model Steve .... a difficult build of the base kit as I well know.

The real thing has now been moved to the State Aviation Museum, Zhuilany, Kiev....

(why can't insert a photo here??).... http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&va=kiev+aviation+museum

So it looks like another trip to Ukraine is called for....

Ken

Excellent build of the aptly nicknamed "Madcap"! The Soviets/Russians (or Ukrainians; Antonov are based in Kiev) have built some truly unusual aircraft over the decades - that's why I love them!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Thanks for the kind words.

Great model Steve .... a difficult build of the base kit as I well know.

The real thing has now been moved to the State Aviation Museum, Zhuilany, Kiev....

(why can't insert a photo here??).... http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&va=kiev+aviation+museum

So it looks like another trip to Ukraine is called for....

Ken

Thanks again for the info it was very useful, I'll get the An-38 parts to you as soon as I can. That looks like a very interesting place, I might have to pay it a visit as well.

Great result Steve.
My kit has still not been touched and is now in storage whilst I move house.
Cheers,
Stuart

Apart from the engine panels it's not difficult to build. Needs a good primer coat though to show up any bubbles in the fibreglass gel coat - mine only had a couple so easily dealt with.

Steve