HpH de Havilland Hornet – Sea Hornet F Mk22 TT202

airscale

why thank you, very kind to drop in with some kind words smile.png

so, tonight is a mixed bag - first, after I spoke to David Collins by email it seems I got the armour plate mountings wrong - the struts don't go backwards but out laterally from the bottom of the armour plate to the fuselage sides. I have no problem changing them, but it does mean the whole assembly (with the seat attached) needs to be dropped in from the top after the fuselage is closed so a complete rethink is needed (and trust me I spent long enough figuring out what to do to fit it in the way I did!). I am glad really as the brace I put in to hold it in 'mid-air' would have been a nightmare to remove later on, and I also realised all the detailing on the armour plate for the seat belt tensioners, headrest, and stowed boarding ladder would have been much more difficult to do with it mounted to the cockpit floor.

so, anyways, a bit of brute force and ignorance and it's history - I can keep the fittings to use later..

..as I had the armour plate in hand again I thought about detailing it - it has two pretty hefty tensioning springs running down the back of it so I made these from old guitar string. I also made some micro brass parts for the fittings at either end - these few parts are about three hours work...

WIP258_zpsc2e2072b.jpg

WIP259_zps16bcfeac.jpg

WIP261_zps762477cf.jpg

WIP260_zpsc00e8dcd.jpg

..nothing like a screw-up to make things better second time around I find and I have to thank David for his help in keeping this build accurate, as there are enough myths wrapped in enigmas about this aeroplane already without me adding to them coolio.gif

TTFN

Peter

This is lovely work Peter,

Knowing how hard it is to construct the 1:1 scale version, I can only be impressed and inspired seeing your work.

• 2 weeks later...

This is lovely work Peter,

Knowing how hard it is to construct the 1:1 scale version, I can only be impressed and inspired seeing your work.

Thank you David - that really means a lot coming from you :thumbsup:

however - sometimes stuff just feels like it's fighting me all the way on this build and today is one of those days...

..started by scaling a drawing to understand the internal layout of the cockpit...

WIP263_zpsb07598b0.jpg

marked out where the armour plate, trim wheel and instrument panel will go and put the panel I made earlier in place...

WIP262_zpse660e4a6.jpg

...added the floor to make sure I had the stepped area right - I didn't, it needs moving back a bit but that's not difficult...

WIP264_zps70860e9e.jpg

..held up the other fuselage side to close it in and realised the panel is too wide - you can see the gap at the nose...

WIP265_zps8c8fea3f.jpg

WIP266_zps560c5c3c.jpg

..I have stared at it, sworn at it, rubbed my chin a lot and still can't work out why or how it happened. I know I skinned the fuselage walls so thats added some thickness, I think I made the panel from a scale drawing with reference to the kits dimesions so must have just ballsed something up dammit

..time to down tools, chill out and work out how to work around it as much as I love building instrument panels I really don't want to do the whole bloody thing again doh.gif

feels like this one is getting frustrating...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 3

:( From what I can see the skinning does add to your problem but not sure that's the whole story. How much extra do the skins add to each side in comparison to the gap across the nose?

• 5 years later...