Matchbox Harrier GR3

Looks like the pilot had a heavy night at the Rajput...

Cliff

And he belongs to a bobsleigh or down hill skiing team....

If the aircraft has just landed the nose gear doors would still be up. IIRC the groundcrew could drop them with a switch which the pilot then reset when he wandered round the plane...sorry performed a thorough and comprehensive pre-flight check. Then they would shut as normal when the wheels retracted hopefully when the aircraft no longer needed them to stand on :fool:

Edited by SleeperService

Fuel tanks on these are the longer ones arnt they (spot the knowledgeable here lol....) I hope the hasegawa kit I have has some to pinch. A clean one would be nice.

Combat tanks are short ones carrying 100 gallons. If you have the tanks from a Hawk, they are identical.

I see the wheels down config has the front doors open this kit does not seem to cater for that so I might do wheels up.

Looks the same as what I have seen under buccaneers. Cheers Rob :)

http://www.airliners.net/photo/1029600/L/

That jet also has the outboard pylons removed.

As SleeperService said, the nose bay doors can be dropped by the groundcrew for access. When the jet has just shut down, the doors are closed.

Incidentally, the jet you show in that photo is XV809. It was used in Operation Matchcoat to determine a new colour scheme for the GR5s. Tony O'Toole built a superb model of it here. Later in the thread I posted some information on the fate of the jet.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234951191-new-172nd-scale-airfix-harriers-gr1-gr3-first-last/

Note that in your photo the jet is in Phase 4 fit. Tony has built the jet in Phase 6 fit.

Then they would shut as normal when the wheels retracted.

Actually, they would shut as soon as the engine started to provide hydraulic pressure.

Looks like the pilot had a heavy night at the Rajput...

Cliff

HAHAHAHAAA , Great one cliff yes looks like there was some power behind that one.. eww. Looks like you have the same sort of sense of humor as me Kewl.

Excellent... makes me want to start my GR1 now :) Enjoying this build...

Go for it and cool GR1s are my fave I have the matchbox one stalled with an old airfix one stalled to over to the left here. I must try the new Airfix one now. Harriers I can't get enough of.

And he belongs to a bobsleigh or down hill skiing team....

If the aircraft has just landed the nose gear doors would still be up. IIRC the groundcrew could drop them with a switch which the pilot then reset when he wandered round the plane...sorry performed a thorough and comprehensive pre-flight check. Then they would shut as normal when the wheels retracted hopefully when the aircraft no longer needed them to stand on :fool:

Oh of course I forgot this. I remember now thanks. I did not know the technical reasons but I remembered there was an issue at least regarding nose doors on harriers. Yes a pair of ski's and the little matchbox dude would be in for a lot of fun. HAHA.

Combat tanks are short ones carrying 100 gallons. If you have the tanks from a Hawk, they are identical.

That jet also has the outboard pylons removed.

As SleeperService said, the nose bay doors can be dropped by the groundcrew for access. When the jet has just shut down, the doors are closed.

Incidentally, the jet you show in that photo is XV809. It was used in Operation Matchcoat to determine a new colour scheme for the GR5s. Tony O'Toole built a superb model of it here. Later in the thread I posted some information on the fate of the jet.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234951191-new-172nd-scale-airfix-harriers-gr1-gr3-first-last/

Note that in your photo the jet is in Phase 4 fit. Tony has built the jet in Phase 6 fit.

Actually, they would shut as soon as the engine started to provide hydraulic pressure.

Hi sadly I have no Hawk kit which is odd as Hawks are another favourite of mine but not got around to it yet. I will see what I can find else where. I have some airfix sea harriers. and airfix T-10, Wonder if they have anything good.

Thanks very much for all the info.

Many thanks all Rob ;)

A bit more progress tonight I masked the windows with school PVA then I have started tidying up and I have decided on wheels up as its getting close to the date of reckoning and as I have done her in display config it seems right to have her fly as too many harriers are on the ground these days !

null_zpsb78e39f8.jpg

I will post more tommorow cheers Rob ;)

Update time.. Well time flies this GB is nearly over and I am nearly done. But its not over yet.. I have to get this and the Jag finished. I am calling the MIG-25 done. I will add the FODs on that later..

Well I am glad the exhaust nozzles are one piece.. What colour though I was thinking dark silver..

null_zps6f15e1ea.jpg

The harrier its self was given a coat of paint so I could tidy and fill areas though there was not much needed doing to be honest. Great fitting kit I must say.

null_zps69d08b16.jpg

null_zps17e67f21.jpg

So not long till a lovely 4 SQN GR3 flies to the finish line. WOO.

Cheers Rob ;)

I have now started to spray the green and then painted the nose tip black. Then masked off with Schools PVA. then I can give the rest of it the green then its blue tak time YAY :yahoo:

null_zps3b331cb4.jpg

Cheers Cliff well update time again and the struggle goes on........

I was waiting for the harrier to dry and the jaguar I cant do till tommoro sooo I had a minor tidy of the bench.... but the puddles of citadel wash are still there. I best get some IPA on the job.

null_zps62b8ec63.jpg

The harrier is now all green and the Same can I used to spray the Jaguar has come out a nice brown green like it should but on the jag its much greener... SAME CAN strange.... but further adds to my argument about paint there are so many variables that its what looks right but HU163 is RIGHT. But look two shades from the actual same can sprayed a day apart... wierd or what.. also kewl.

null_zpsc20fcf98.jpg

null_zps1eb1ff33.jpg

null_zpsf41cef3a.jpg

Exhausts have been primed and had the first coat of citadel boltgun metal a second coat a wash with citadel nuln oil and some klear over the top and these are done.

null_zpsbf3676f5.jpg

Now the good part the post man arrived with my latest bagain for the tool box. £1.50 for 3000 1.5mm fake diamonds for nail art.. I thought these might look the trick for fake lights.

In the kit you get a crayon and some adhesive.. I used PVA. I had bought them with this harrier in mind for the wheel but I have decided on her flying so here are some shots taken in bad lighting to show you how reflective they are.

Just fitted it to my old Bucc and a Vulcan.

null_zpsdfcb7fd9.jpg

null_zpsb4776a43.jpg

null_zpsbe788b93.jpg

null_zpsf3fcfc61.jpg

null_zpsbed0f305.jpg

null_zpsb7b9c512.jpg

null_zpsbed0f305.jpg

null_zps8ab7ee8d.jpg

null_zps67a76518.jpg

Thought I would share with you. Here is the link if you want to buy some...

And they are now 1.25 !!! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390557507583?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

• Like 1

Well shes getting there now after a few hours with the blue tak...

null_zps177d3f28.jpg

null_zps62869cd4.jpg

null_zpsb6372eca.jpg

null_zpsf660481a.jpg

Then on went the dark sea grey. It is interesting to note how different this colour looks to the extra dark sea grey on my old Bucc.

null_zps710ee0d8.jpg

And then the mask off. Now something is weird as you saw in the last photo of the Harrier and Jag together the jag was greener and the harrier browner. Now its reversed.... whats goin on with this paint It changes colour...

null_zps60364b68.jpg

null_zpsbabc7604.jpg

Cheers Rob ;)

Then on went the dark sea grey. It is interesting to note how different this colour looks to the extra dark sea grey on my old Bucc.

Not surprising. Dark Sea Grey is a fairly neutral grey while Extra Dark Sea Grey is actually a dark greyish blue.

bulnder1_zps8f1bf2f6.jpg

bluFn_zps10728f99.jpg

dd_zps384254ef.jpg

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! What a start to the morning.. A nice bit of decaling I thought.. I was admiring my nice little harrier thinking it was looking ok considering its rushed pace then I dropped it!!!! I don't normally do that.

I can't find the part so I am sacrificing my matchbox GR1 from my stalled build (gives excuse to by the airfix kit and the wings are distorted anyhow's) To give me this new tail piece which I will graft onto the broken one.

Cheers Rob I hope this made you laugh as you really have to when this happens. I have never seen a Harrier do a sideways landing before.

So lets fix this thing..

Here Is the spare from the matchbox GR1 (good reason to have a stash this) I cut off the fitting attached it with tamiya, Scored the line (after filling the damaged part flat.)

then removed cut it free then glued it on. Later I will clean it up the best I can then repaint...

null_zpsa8206550.jpg

null_zps9f816d41.jpg

null_zps6106cccb.jpg

null_zpsc0659978.jpg

null_zpse12c7c0e.jpg

On the more positive side of things the engine exhausts have received another coat of citadel Boltgun metal and then I have flooded the apertures with citadel nuln oil wash.

null_zpsbe2afeed.jpg

null_zps4c515913.jpg

So there we have it .. Hopefully she will still get past the finish line... Lets hope.

Cheers Rob ;)

You are remembering that the front nozzles are painted and not metal as they blow cold air?

Hi I was trying to find a good pic to be honest I was not sure what colour they are I have seen silver and what I thought was green. Any tips on the colour. Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Having done that terrific rescue job, I assume the broken bit has now miraculously appeared in some blazingly obvious place that you already looked tons of times as it would for me in these circumstances :doh:

David

• Like 1