Matchbox Harrier GR3

I feel your pain Rob, but a good save in the end mate, good work!

John

Cheers mate. Its a shame but hopefully I can make her look ok again... lets see..

Regarding the front nozzles just looking at a few pics on airliners. I have seen Green, Black,Silver, Light Grey, and Brownish tan colour, Is there a specific colour or did it vary due to era, service, materials etc. I never knew the front blew cold air that's interesting.

Cheers Rob

Having done that terrific rescue job, I assume the broken bit has now miraculously appeared in some blazingly obvious place that you already looked tons of times as it would for me in these circumstances :doh:

David

Nope spent an hour looking for it and getting angry. Then I remembered my Matchbox GR1 (which I was really looking forward to building soon) has badly distorted wings so I thought I'd be ruthless and pinch from her. Maybe I will pick a matchbox sea harrier up cheap to get new wings from for her soon and use the sea harrier parts for a What if of some sort.

Cheers Rob

Well I wish I had thought to look for pics of this one before I started painting (in a rush and for some reason never occurred to me.) Might have got its camo more specific then. Oh well. Looks like the front exhausts on this one were light grey or silver so thats Lucky.

1333089M.jpg

5377345_orig.jpg

Harr3_XV740A_1083_wz.jpg

WOW this website Is a great read and photo source.

http://sg-etuo.de/Squadrons/No4SquadronGR3

Cheers Rob

WOW this website Is a great read and photo source.

http://sg-etuo.de/Squadrons/No4SquadronGR3

So now you can see where I spent the late 80s. See XV738 with the fancy fin? That's my handiwork...

• Like 1

So now you can see where I spent the late 80s. See XV738 with the fancy fin? That's my handiwork...

Well that is way past KEWL! not only to work there but to also paint that most famous and stylish tail fin. I have wanted to make a model of that one since I was a kid.

Honored to have exchanges with you for that Enzo ;)

Well Update time now..

I flatted back the tail wing as best I could as its still flimsy I didnt tidy it up too well and did not rescribe for fear of missing the deadline. so she has just been leveled and smoothed and Its got some battle damage.

Pig of a masking job to sort out this little area and keep the rest of the paint...

null_zps68d249de.jpg

null_zpsedbe40e0.jpg

null_zps43625f93.jpg

null_zps9b688d58.jpg

null_zpsed8ac202.jpg

The exhausted got a coat of klear and were fitted.

null_zps4a345d25.jpg

Here is the repaired tail

null_zps90924513.jpg

null_zpsa7edd828.jpg

null_zpse175247b.jpg

Exhausts fitted...

null_zpsba93428e.jpg

null_zps8074f9fe.jpg

Nose tip went ok too with the PVA mask removed

null_zpse3776c82.jpg

Tommoro I will paint the wheels on the wings give her a shine with some Klear then decal, varnish, weather, varnish and job done (so long as I don't drop her again )

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

It's a shame about that tailplane, but you've done a great job recovering it :)

Looking great now, hard to believe it's Matchbox !

Thanks woody. Yep its not too bad now. Yesterday I was pretty gutted about it and from looking only at that part it looked bad to my eyes.

This morning I am looking at the whole model and it looks great considering its heavy sideways landing...

Just painting the little wheels and then I will decal her. Its a very basic kit but it does build into a nice harrier I think. Not the best but certainly not the worst.

I remember when I was a kid I built the Airfix GR3 and my mate this one. I was envious that his Matchbox one fitted well and he built his in what seemed like 5mins were As mine fit awful and took longer. I also liked the look of the square holes around the intakes.

I am very keen to do Airfix's new GR1 and GR3 they look stunning.

Cheers Rob ;)

decals going on the matchbox ones looked good on sheet but the roundels had a horrid white outline,.. Xtradecal to the rescue... I hope the smaller ones are ok. but I think another harrier kit is gonna get robbed.

Well the decaling was a long process..

null_zpsf4d0596a.jpg

1 Coat of old Klear applied with a bit of sponge.

null_zpscba59e81.jpg

Xtradecal roundels.

null_zpse89a8b44.jpg

null_zps29ffcbbd.jpg

null_zpsc789550a.jpg

null_zps674e17fa.jpg

And Finished I took these Quick photos I was going to do some flying ones but I didnt get any good shots as the moment I stepped out to photo it.... THE RAIN STARTED.....;(

This is her now.

null_zps43b603ea.jpg

null_zps50328f65.jpg

null_zpsa0c091c2.jpg

null_zpsb28c6e9f.jpg

null_zpsa51fda05.jpg

null_zpsc2108654.jpg

Cheers For watching Rob ;) Thanks for the support

• Like 2

As immortalised in the Airfix 1/24 kit.

Not quite...

The original jet painted in these colours was XV738/B. I painted it with a hairy stick one night shift. I got the port side lightning flash a little bit wrong. The forward part is slightly curved instead of straight.

The jet caused a bit of trubble as at the time "special" markings were frowned upon. The Station Commander was not happy and the jet only lasted a few days in that scheme.

One thing to note is that XV738 did not have an aircraft code on the fin.

About a year later there was an accident involving a Tornado in a mid-air collision. RAFG instituted a trial where two aircraft from each squadron had their fins painted in white or red. There are a number of photos of Phantoms from this period with their fins painted in red. Many people think it's a squadron marking - it's not. However... 92 Sqn were a little bit naughty and took the opportunity to paint their fins in blue!

IV(AC) Sqn was away on APC at Deci when the order came out so we missed out on the trial. The CO wasn't very happy about it, so when we got back to Gütersloh he ordered that two of our jets be painted with the flash fin. These jets are easily identifiable. They were painted by the station painters and finishers so the flash is perfectly regular. They also carried the aircraft code on the fin in yellow. It is one of these jets which is featured in the Airfix 1/24 kit.

• Like 1

Very nice Rob, great looking Harrier. I must say, I do like following your w.i.p's, just that little bit different,

Sean

Thank's that's brilliant to know people like what I am doing. I would be curious to learn what it is that is different that you like about mine.

Cheers Rob ;)

Not quite...

The original jet painted in these colours was XV738/B. I painted it with a hairy stick one night shift. I got the port side lightning flash a little bit wrong. The forward part is slightly curved instead of straight.

The jet caused a bit of trubble as at the time "special" markings were frowned upon. The Station Commander was not happy and the jet only lasted a few days in that scheme.

One thing to note is that XV738 did not have an aircraft code on the fin.

About a year later there was an accident involving a Tornado in a mid-air collision. RAFG instituted a trial where two aircraft from each squadron had their fins painted in white or red. There are a number of photos of Phantoms from this period with their fins painted in red. Many people think it's a squadron marking - it's not. However... 92 Sqn were a little bit naughty and took the opportunity to paint their fins in blue!

IV(AC) Sqn was away on APC at Deci when the order came out so we missed out on the trial. The CO wasn't very happy about it, so when we got back to Gütersloh he ordered that two of our jets be painted with the flash fin. These jets are easily identifiable. They were painted by the station painters and finishers so the flash is perfectly regular. They also carried the aircraft code on the fin in yellow. It is one of these jets which is featured in the Airfix 1/24 kit.

That is a Brilliant story Enzo. Its great that I have had you to help me build this Harrier knowing Its connected to your work. It makes it more special as I feel in a small part connected through it all.

Cheers for a brilliant GB and making it special.

Cheers Rob ;)

Looks good Rob! it's good to see the old Matchbox kit getting a work out. nice job well done!

John

Many thanks John. Its always good to see a matchbox kit be it made, on a shop shelf or on the bench. Here Is some more pics

others in Gallery, Of her sat on my knee in the car under a nice pale blue light I love the lighted effect.

Cheers Rob

null_zps460b1e70.jpg

null_zps3cdff80c.jpg

null_zpsdd40804a.jpg

null_zps790715f1.jpg

null_zps8962d6e6.jpg

null_zps0dabf1df.jpg

null_zpsadb2b759.jpg

null_zps670d0243.jpg

null_zps0649a73e.jpg

null_zps01ec68c1.jpg

I am really happy with how this came out. I just forgot to (ran out of time) put the pitot tube on... Never mind. I love harriers Particularly GR3s I love that snipe nose it looks like a war plane.

Cheers Rob :thumbsup:

• Like 1