Long In Need Of A Serious KUTA

Sgt.Squarehead

Oh man do I have a lot of candidates for this one.....Going to try to complete several things, many are stalled in painting, some in building, hope these will all be OK? :shrug:

Three Revell 1/72 Cromwells, these need stowage, painting, final assembly, touch-up and weathering:

408109077.jpg

These were originally built to demo a technique for L&L tracks, where you build them as a modular assembly to make painting easier:

408109079.jpg

Let's see if it does! :winkgrin:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 3 weeks later...

In a slight change/addition to my original plan, before looking at the three Cromwells, I'm going to be painting these two:

408300967.jpg

They're the ancient ESCI/Italeri 1/72 M4A1(75)W (an almost non-existant variant in reality), modified to a big-hatch dry-stowage M4A1(75).....I've got my Sherman paints out anyway and these two have been sat in my 'to be painted' box for several years now. :blush:

They'll eventually be joining another of their ilk converted to a M4A1(76)W (using the Eduard T-23 turret) and a trio of Unimodel M4A1s. :pipe:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I've heard it said on a few occasions that Tamiya at some point changed the formulation of their Olive Drab XF-62, making it more green, but I'd never really noticed until tonight:....The difference is quite significant! :analintruder:

Unfortunately the camera battery is flat, so it'll have to wait till tomorrow to show just how big the difference is! :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Spot the difference:

408320469.jpg408320473.jpg

The M4A1(76)W is another ESCI/Italeri kit (with an Eduard T-23 Turret) and was painted with exactly the same mixture (60% XF-62 Olive Drab + 40% XF=60 Dark Yellow) using the old Tamiya Olive Drab, all three models have had some highlighting with progressively lighter versions of the base colour.....I'd call that a fairly major change in hue and TBH I think I prefer the older version for Braille Scale US AFVs! :shutup:

Reckon I'm going to have to use some fairly heavy filters and dustcoats to get these guys looking like they're from the same army, let alone unit.....I also need to find a decent compromise mix for the three Unimodel (small-hatch) M4A1s that will complete this unit (I'm thinking maybe use Dark Earth & Buff to lighten it instead of Dark Yellow). :pipe:

Getting these three sorted may become my primary KUTA project.....Hope this will be acceptable. :shrug:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 2 weeks later...

That's a fair bit of difference :( It is so annoying when manufacturers do things like this. I understand that sometimes manufacturers have to change things, but for better or worse they should let users know! After all they're not the ones putting hours of work into a model to have it mucked up by there changes.

Nice to see the ESCI/Eduard combo in the flesh, I'm taking notes for my future build of this ;)