1/72 Airfix Canberra B(I)8 converted to B.6 XH568

I might well have ago at this soon But I trying to get through the stash a bit before I buy anymore.....(who am I kidding...)

What scheme is this one going to be in John ;)

It's a nice one Rob, but aren't them all? :) White, high speed silver, day glow, & red

XH568_zps3f78d986.jpg

Where can I get 5 ???

regards Glenn.

Glenn contact JohnAero via the forum I'm sure he'll get you sorted :)

John

• Like 1

Would the extreme nose parts improve the old old Airfix B2 at all. I ask as I have one part built and the fuselage is together and I'm not cutting the whole nose off now.

Chris

Chris,

There are better qualified people who can answer this, but as far I was concerned one of the biggest weaknesses of the old airfix kit was the front end. Also only a minor point but the old kit was a B6/B(I)6 with the later engines rather than a B2. Like I said I'm no expert and will be interested to see what Canberra Kid has to say.

Mal

Edited by Canberra Fan

Would the extreme nose parts improve the old old Airfix B2 at all. I ask as I have one part built and the fuselage is together and I'm not cutting the whole nose off now.

Chris

Yes Chris & Mal, it would make a big improvement to the old kit, I intend doing the same with the spare noses from my new Aeroclub nose kits. and the leftover ones from the Airfix B(I)8's which are not quite as good a shape as Aeroclub's but are still a vast improvement. I've done it with this build if you wont to take a look. http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8272783-my-oriental-heartthrob-rb-57a-1-in-1-72

One other problem with the old B(I)6 is the engine nacelles, these are too thin, but other than replace the Airfix wings with the ones from the FROG B(I)8 kit there isn't much you can do. I have lived with it with 99% of my builds and it still looks like a Canberra!

John

Edited by canberra kid

The Airfix B(I).6 does have a few problems. The main one to the eye being the over fat nose contours which can be corrected by cutting off the Airfix nose at frame one (see earlier), where my kit joins, and sticking one of my nose glazings on. This will correct the profile. Be warned, do not cut off the nose vertically (ie perpendicular to the ground) but at a very slight angle as the nose datum on Canberra's angles down and the nose panel lines are perpendicular to this datum. This is a mistake in most published drawings.

A further problem is as John points out, is the nacelles. Again most drawings and models show a 'Coke bottle' waisted effect on the top of the nacelles. This does not happen! Aft of the main spar the jet pipe is enclosed by two parallel ribs and these are just bridged over by curved panels and the edge of these in plan view is straight until it tapers aft of the rear spar to meet the jet pipe exit. It is not a tube passing through an aerofoil! This would 'Coke bottle'. Difficult to correct. The B(I).8 nacelles are correct. The old B.6 wings can be improved by sharpening the leading edge. With the nose corrected in profile the Old Airfix kit becomes quite acceptable.

John Aero

• Like 2

Yes Chris & Mal, it would make a big improvement to the old kit, I intend doing the same with the spare noses from my new Aeroclub nose kits. and the leftover ones from the Airfix B(I)8's which are not quite as good a shape as Aeroclub's but are still a vast improvement. I've done it with this build if you wont to take a look. http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8272783-my-oriental-heartthrob-rb-57a-1-in-1-72

One other problem with the old B(I)6 is the engine nacelles, these are too thin, but other than replace the Airfix wings with the ones from the FROG B(I)8 kit there isn't much you can do. I have lived with it with 99% of my builds and it still looks like a Canberra!

John

That's brilliant, exactly what I was thinking :thumbsup:

I think I can live with the nacelles too but the nose is kind of holding the build back

The Airfix B(I).6 does have a few problems. The main one to the eye being the over fat nose contours which can be corrected by cutting off the Airfix nose at frame one (see earlier), where my kit joins, and sticking one of my nose glazings on. This will correct the profile. Be warned, do not cut off the nose vertically (ie perpendicular to the ground) but at a very slight angle as the nose datum on Canberra's angles down and the nose panel lines are perpendicular to this datum. This is a mistake in most published drawings.

A further problem is as John points out, is the nacelles. Again most drawings and models show a 'Coke bottle' waisted effect on the top of the nacelles. This does not happen! Aft of the main spar the jet pipe is enclosed by two parallel ribs and these are just bridged over by curved panels and the edge of these in plan view is straight until it tapers aft of the rear spar to meet the jet pipe exit. It is not a tube passing through an aerofoil! This would 'Coke bottle'. Difficult to correct. The B(I).8 nacelles are correct. The old B.6 wings can be improved by sharpening the leading edge. With the nose corrected in profile the Old Airfix kit becomes quite acceptable.

John Aero

Cheers John, expect an order from me too :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Well, JC it depends on your definition of "fit" I cut the nose of an Italeri B.57 this morning in the interest of knowledge, and it appears to be a good match, which surprised me some what. I'd only use the Italeri kit if there wasn't an alternative Airfix or FROG B(I)8 or B.6 kit available, with the problems with the Italeri kit it would be better to save it for a B.57 until something better comes along PLEASE!!

John.

So what's wrong with the Italeri? (I want to build an RB-57A)

It all depends on how bothered you are about accuracy, I would still start with the Airfix kit and work back as it's much better way in my opinion. I did the same thing in 1/48 using the Airfix B.2 http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8963524-airfix-1-48-canberra-b-2-into-martin-eb-57a just about every thing in this build would apply if you do it in 1/72. As for what's wrong with the Italeri kit, take a look at this http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8461685-italeri-1-72-b-57-canberra-musings it's what I worked out about the Italeri B.57 using various Martin and USAF technical orders.

John

I think this one is going to be a slow burner, but some progress today, I've done a bit of painting on the cockpit, I'll post some photos when there is something to show. I've also had a look at the panel lines on the Airfix kit I know that the the fuselage strengthening plates are way off but I thought I'd take a look at the other ones to see how they measured up, and guess what, they are not quite right to be polite. As I hope you can see from the following photo I've scribbled out the fictitious lines ready for filling. When I've filled them and rubbed them down I'll mark out the new ones. I have also marked out the correct line for the fin.

DSC04814_zpsd0d3749e.jpg

John

Edited by canberra kid

I have a good few slow burners at the moment I understand that feeling. Its weird how sometimes you can through a kit together and then other days you'll feel like you can't progress further or think straight. When I get like that I take your tip from a previous build 5mins break with a biscuit and then suddenly your work starts to flow again..

I bet you will finish her before the end of the year. Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 2

I have a good few slow burners at the moment I understand that feeling. Its weird how sometimes you can through a kit together and then other days you'll feel like you can't progress further or think straight. When I get like that I take your tip from a previous build 5mins break with a biscuit and then suddenly your work starts to flow again..

I bet you will finish her before the end of the year. Cheers Rob ;)

It's not lack of enthusiasm Rob, just lack of time, work, thank goodness is mad at the moment. As for finishing before the end of 2013 I very much hope so, it should be ok I just need a few good weekends and I'll be off!

John

• Like 1

I just tried the Airfix B(I)8 kit clear nose part to the Aeroclub nose section and it's a good fit so I'll be using this for my build as I will be adding the nose probe. This means I can save the ones from Aeroclub for a future build.John

John,

I assume you have removed the clear nose surgically from the part provided in the B(I)8?

Mal

Oh I don't doubt your enthusiasm John and good to hear work is going strong for you. I am the same at the moment busy and Vulcans stalled but cant wait to get them started. I recon it will be Jan before I get back to my on going Build thread for the Little B1s again.

Trouble is at the moment I am itching to build other kits I have that are not Vulcans I have all sorts on the go and still I am looking to buy yet more kits like the 1/144th canberras.

I think I picked up a disease at Telford as since I got back I have modelled more than normal and bought yet more kits,

I could not resist yesterday when ordering from the big "H" some airdecal dials and gauges for my spit yet another kit !

this time a 1/144th typhoon there was this evil voice in my mind saying "GO ON!!!! GO ON!!!! you know you want tooo" cked

Deffo picked up something at Telford..

Can't wait to see another of your builds I really loved seeing your B.57s at Telford especially after watching the latest two's builds so closely It makes you wonder when looking at others kits on display how many hours of work you are looking at. Mind boggling :hypnotised:

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Oh I don't doubt your enthusiasm John and good to hear work is going strong for you. I am the same at the moment busy and Vulcans stalled but cant wait to get them started. I recon it will be Jan before I get back to my on going Build thread for the Little B1s again.

Trouble is at the moment I am itching to build other kits I have that are not Vulcans I have all sorts on the go and still I am looking to buy yet more kits like the 1/144th canberras.

I think I picked up a disease at Telford as since I got back I have modelled more than normal and bought yet more kits,

I could not resist yesterday when ordering from the big "H" some airdecal dials and gauges for my spit yet another kit !

this time a 1/144th typhoon there was this evil voice in my mind saying "GO ON!!!! GO ON!!!! you know you want tooo" cked

Deffo picked up something at Telford..

Can't wait to see another of your builds I really loved seeing your B.57s at Telford especially after watching the latest two's builds so closely It makes you wonder when looking at others kits on display how many hours of work you are looking at. Mind boggling :hypnotised:

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob, I know what you mean! :) I hope to get some building done tomorrow

John

• Like 1