HMS Daring in Oz xxxxx

tonyot

I`ve just seen some great photos from the RAN Birthday Party which looked like a great fleet review but I was quite shocked to see how grubby looking our own HMS Daring appeared to be,......she was basically inxxxxxx state! There was rust everywhere, paint peeling along the waterline, patched paintwork and a large mark on her side towards the stern.......I cannot believe that they opened her up to the public looking like that,.....a brand new ship too,.....have the modern RN no pride nowadays,...or have defence cuts eaten into the paint brush and pot of paint budget,.....what a poor do.

Fair enough, a ship gets mucky at sea, but when representing our country at such a prestigious event I would expect the lads and lasses on board to get her looking spick and span again,.....she would have been in the old days. Are the current matelot`s too busy having runs ashore to have any pride in their ship? It seems to be a trend in the entire British Armed Forces at the moment,...come on folks,..pull yer finger out!!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Greg B
swearing removed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/philippines/10455255/Typhoon-Haiyan-Royal-Navy-warship-HMS-Daring-arrives-in-disaster-zone.html

She been a busy ship. She was sent to the Philippines to help out with that crisis. I know for a fact the Filipino people are grateful to the UK for their help. The wife thanks your country too as her family are one of those people who need help

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/philippines/10455255/Typhoon-Haiyan-Royal-Navy-warship-HMS-Daring-arrives-in-disaster-zone.html

She been a busy ship. She was sent to the Philippines to help out with that crisis. I know for a fact the Filipino people are grateful to the UK for their help. The wife thanks your country too as her family are one of those people who need help

I`ll grant you that and the crew seem to be doing a fantastic job ,.....but my comment was made before the crisis in the Philippines and I still stand by what I said,......it would not have occurred in recent years and shows a distinct lack of pride (poor moral?), not to say bad manners to the Australian hosts.

Imagine the Grenadier Guards arriving on parade outside Buck House on state occasion without bothering to brush their Bearskins or bull their boots,....it is the same thing,.....the ship was representing the UK at an important ceremonial occasion. How many other ships were in a similar state,.....not many I would say?

Cheers

Tony

• 2 months later...

Not sure what is going on nowadays, First task when alongside was get a side party together and get them started, soon as store ship was complete the rest of the parts of ship would provide more to the side party and the rest would crack on and clean, de-rust and paint as needed on the parts of ship, was never a sign of any rust by the time of they floodlit ship and the guests arrived for the proverbial cocktail party. Be it Carrier, LPH, Destroyer Frigate and smaller the RN was always well turned out.

John

Edited by kidcurrie42

Times they were a changin' when I left in '04.

Its not the morale, its not a lack of pride. The current holders of the title 'Jack' are basically the same as those of us old farts who hark back to what we assume to be the golden years.

Its down to lean manning, paint stores that were specifically designed to be smaller to hold less paint and ultimately penny pinching.

Having layers of paint 1/8 inch thick over rust is now considered to be a bad thing (rightly). Before you think I am exaggerating I had the pleasure of stripping back the bridge wings of a Leander in the 80's where I peeled a sheet of paint off that thick.

Cosmetic painting has rightly been cast into the bin. Well, most of the time my sources tell me :banghead:

The current crews are working harder than ever, why should they be doing the same crap tasks we did with less than half of the manpower available.

I don't care how manky a warship looks as long as it can rain down death and destruction on Liz's enemies when required. Next time you take a look go a bit deeper than superficial shine. Look closely at the attention paid to the weapons mounts, machinery spaces and the like.

• Like 3

I left in 2007 after 32 years, I know all about manpower reduction and lean manning, With the birth of the Warfare branch, on Type 42's we lost around 40 JR's, then draftys little joke of sending out draft orders for TBN, yes the no painting ship overall had been introduced, I think the thickest chunk I chipped was maybe 1" on the Bulwark.

Anyways a little acid in a bucket of water works wonders on rust stains, just sayin :)

The current crews are working harder than ever, why should they be doing the same crap tasks we did with less than half of the manpower available.

I don't care how manky a warship looks as long as it can rain down death and destruction on Liz's enemies when required. Next time you take a look go a bit deeper than superficial shine. Look closely at the attention paid to the weapons mounts, machinery spaces and the like.

You are so VERY right. Been aboard a couple of HMSs recently, one big and one little, and they are very efficient, fiercely loyal and professionally exemplary places to be. I really wish industry was this good.

• 3 weeks later...

If that is how she looked when in Oz then I have to say she looked as good if not better than the Rusty B when in Brisbaine late '66. It's a steel hull and superstructure operating in a salt laden environment, what do you expect, super shiny, squeeky clean, no rust?

If that is how she looked when in Oz then I have to say she looked as good if not better than the Rusty B when in Brisbaine late '66. It's a steel hull and superstructure operating in a salt laden environment, what do you expect, super shiny, squeeky clean, no rust?

Rusty B was called Rusty B for a good reason :D