Trumpeter's 1/200 scale USS Missouri...Or...WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!? (PONTOS! Trumpeter aftermarket, pics added!)

the screws are nice on the upgrade set. but the Kondos guns look like they are machined a little nicer. Also, the anchors on the Trumpeter upgrade are way better than the stock issue with Trumpeter.

Spent the weekend getting the screws/props all set and painted, did the hull in red, doing the black water line striping.....

Yeah, mainly got the Trumpeter's upgrade sets for the screws and the anchors. The stock screws that comes with the kit have a pour stub on each blade, making clean up a PITA. The anchor definition is also lacking. I'll see about the barrels though, waiting to see if other manufacture's offerings.

Well, well, guess what I got for my Christmas gift?

You see, last week, my parents said I can have anything, anything I wanted, provided it didn't go over $300...Guess, What I said.....They were not happy to say the least and I thought they meant I was just joking...But...BUT

Today arrived on my doorstep is the Ponto's complete set with the Wook (Blue) deck!!!! OHHH YIIIIIPPPPIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!!! But...BBUUUUTTT....

Sigh, the project I think just ground to a halt! I'll take a week to read the instructions to see where to jump where to go with the assemblies (always important with a BIG, Now a HHHUUUGGGEE project like this one). And what parts I can leave off so I can't drive myself crazy. I'll probably start with the guns (main and the 5 inchers first). Then the deck. The plan so far is try to use everything to give you guys an idea what it's like....But forgive me if I decide to leave some off, like those 56 20mm Oerlikons off so I don't loose my sanity here!

But anyways, I got the Trumpeter parts too (I bought this one though) Might do a comparison as well so stay tuned for pics!

P.S. Sigh, Goddamn SWMBO juST HAVE to go and make me promise this is my birthday gift too!!! Ohh well, fair trade off I guess!

Will post some pics tonight and tomorrow!

• Like 1

Can't wait to see this one.

My son saw one of these at his club meeting and told me that when he saw the hull it looked like a bathtub.

Can't wait to see this one.

My son saw one of these at his club meeting and told me that when he saw the hull it looked like a bathtub.

Yeah, the hull without the "headpiece" assembled is around 47 inches in length. With the headpiece in place, it's closer to 54 inches! You can almost bury someone in that! LOL!

• Like 1

So, right about now I'm going through that link I gave you about Pontos aftermarket sets.....It's indeed AMAZING and absolutely hair pulling rikaculouszzzly also!

What I mean is I totally agree with the 20 mm Olerikons issue. Why only in PE? Why not in Resin? I imagine myself going crazy with this one. Same with all the ladders and handholds. Trying not to loose them will be a bisnachi in the back! But still, can't complain. The Pontos sets completely REPLACES the kit's PE! This means I have some extras just in case something goes wrong or I need replacements.

Anyways, still deciding what to do first. Getting the deck puttied up first or the guns.....Probably the guns. I WUVVV things that goes BOOOOOM! That is, after I analyzed the instructions in more details that is!

• Like 1

time for some pics....progress so far...the upper shelf is a partial of the 1:350 Akagi...so you can tell this is really a beast.
(btw), I am somewhat of a rookie with this kit, so if you see anything that would help improve the look of this, please feel free to let me know....I have found this list one of the most informed places for scale modellers on the 'net....so let me have it right between the eyes!

photo6_zps99739a51.jpg

so much for trying to use the iPhone panorama setting....one of the things I built this year is a little spray paining area..worth it's weight in gold....nice quiet compressor keeps the wife and dogs asleep during late-night work.

photo_zps7f7bc0bf.jpg

I used three stands for this, using a temporary piece of wood until we are ready for the final display...so much easier to move this beast. My biggest "doh!" is bangnig the bow or stern against something when I rotate the thing.

photo5_zpscdcc267d.jpg

I got the Pontos teak deck...all i can say is "wow"...can't wait to start on this section....lots of PE sub-assemblies to put together before we get there.

photo3_zpsa1220e3a.jpg

panorama on this isn't that good either.

photo10_zps33129378.jpg

I thought the seam for the bow part would give me problems, but the putty and a bit of sanding and it doesn't show at all...I still have to do some trimming on the top lines, but it's actually a bit more fun with this scale to get things right.

photo7_zps5646fb4d.jpg

the screws are copper, thought there is a lot of hull color that washes it out. The trumpeter aftermarket screws and anchors are nice...but it was almost as if they made the base product lousier to increase sales or something....why do that?

anyway, this has been a lot of fun, but the hard part is now...all the gun PE sets, sanding the deck to be able to lay the teak deck on top, getting serious with this bad boy....

later!

^^^

Your progress is better than mine. Mine Pontos set are the blue deck version so we can compare. It also seems your head piece is better than mine. Mine was a little twisted so when the deck went on, a seam appeared on the forecastle and along the line. So have to put some red putty into that.....When I get there. Decided to start on the guns first!

P.S. It's Christmas time, go get a better Camera! You can get a 12 MB camera for cheap these days and they are infinitely better than the cameras in an iPhone or Galaxy!

Edited by Stryder Kennset

I am finding the progress of this kit very interesting, but am getting a bit confused as to how many builds are going on here.

:goodjob:

I am finding the progress of this kit very interesting, but am getting a bit confused as to how many builds are going on here.

:goodjob:

there are several builds going on, and a lot of discssion about how to get there, and what the options and aftermarket PE available.

Stryder Kennset is the more exerienced modeler. I joined this site to learn how to build better models, and am using this Missouri build as an opportunity to upgrade my skills. Right now, I am going to use a Best Buy gift card and get a better camera!

Hey "Stuck", you do good woodworking....saw your FB page....wow....I may ping you when it's time for a nice case for this thing.

there are several builds going on, and a lot of discssion about how to get there, and what the options and aftermarket PE available.

Stryder Kennset is the more exerienced modeler. I joined this site to learn how to build better models, and am using this Missouri build as an opportunity to upgrade my skills. Right now, I am going to use a Best Buy gift card and get a better camera!

Hey "Stuck", you do good woodworking....saw your FB page....wow....I may ping you when it's time for a nice case for this thing.

Yeah, there are also discussions of how to get there, this is a HHUUUGGGGEEE project to say the least.

Ok, I think I can accept Rick's build in here (Rick, just make sure when you posts picture, say it clearly that it is your build so as to keep the confusion to a minimum) but that is it. If someone else is building the ship and want to join in, please start a new thread. Want to keep various builds in this thread to a minimum.

Anyways, was thinking of taking a few pics of the Pontos set but damn it man! The instructions are giving me a headache! It is confusing beyond belief! But heard it's better than the Bismarck set but still.......How many things and what things goes on the deck right now is making me crossed eyed! Might as well get started on the main guns. At least that is a little clearer, just A LOT of work and even more patience needed though.

sorry folks, my mistake.....please chalk it up to newbie stupidity.....sorry that these threads really should be separate. I will:

1) Read the damn FAQ.

2) Get a good camera

3) Quick drinking so much in the morning.

or at least two out of three.....

the WIP thread is officially handed over to Stryder.....Elvis has left the building.

You can still make a comment here or two in case you have any questions.

But yes, if you are going to or want to show off your own build, please start your own thread so we can keep various builds separate to avoid confusion.

Anyway, can't wait to see how your ship builds up so we can compare!

P.S. Took a bunch of photos of both the Trumpeter's set and Pontos massive set. Gonna go to PS soon to clean it up and then posted here.

P.S.S. After looking at various photos, I think Ponto's 16 inch barrels are slightly more accurate. Trumpeter's are just slightly more exaggerated but still good. Anyways, will do a comparison pic soon.

• Like 1

Pontos barrels look like they are drilled deeper, so you get a sense of the bore of a barrell, while the Trumpeter add-on barrels are not as well-fashioned in that aspect. Maybe I am a sucker for brass.

my 40mm barrels were missing from the Pontos set, but Kim from Pontos said they would be shipping them tomorrow....

Pontos barrels look like they are drilled deeper, so you get a sense of the bore of a barrell, while the Trumpeter add-on barrels are not as well-fashioned in that aspect. Maybe I am a sucker for brass.

my 40mm barrels were missing from the Pontos set, but Kim from Pontos said they would be shipping them tomorrow....

Yeah, Pontos barrels are drilled deeper, giving you more of a perspective. Still, it's no problem taking a Dremel with a good drill and drill it out. However, what I'm talking about are the shape issues. Hope I can get the pics turned out right (so far it aint. Brass and metal just does not want to turn out right, especially something this thin, on camera). Pontos recoil holder are thinner than the Trumpeter ones. You can tell by compare both of them with the kit's stock barrels.

Yes, That's what I've heard, some people also got two sets of 40mm barrels while missing the 20mm from the first shipment. I got both with mine though.

And now the Pontos set. Due to the high number of frets and pieces in this set, only a select samples are shown.

PontosCover_zps70c9019e.jpg

Box cover

WoodDeck_zps3b2d594b.jpg

The wood deck. The best I can do here. It peels right off and then you can just stick it onto the ship!

TurnedBrass_zps0e406548.jpg

The turned brass barrels (16 inch and 5 inch) along with two masts. Best I can do since these brass pieces have given me hell already. There are a lot more, including stanchions, bitt, 20mm pedestals and antennas but those are too small to capture effectively.

Resin_zps7f8cc531.jpg

The resin bits. There are a few more but they are too small to capture. Notice the details on the Pontos blast bag, compared to the ho-hum Trumpeter's one.

Etch_zps9bdfa8c0.jpg

And finally, the etch frets. There are 18 of them total so these are just a sample. It's comprehensive to say the least

Compare_zps68d060c6.jpg

And ohh, I hope this picture tells the tale of the shape issue with the 16 inch barrels. Left, Pontos brass, middle, Trumpeter metal, right, Trumpeter stock.

That's it for now. Now to batten down the hatch, flood the torpedo tubes and get started on the 16 inch turrets!

Well thanks for the kind compliment Rick. Now that i have retired making display cases is a little project i have up my sleeve, but I first want to use my HMCS Snowberry as a Guinea pig. i myself have just got into shipbuilding and am beginning to find it far more challenging and rewarding than aircraft, so i watch these builds with interest. I think it will be good for you to start your own thread so i can follow the two, and in that way there will always be something on the go.

Having just seen the size of that Pontos AMS I fear I will have to wait a long time to see the finished job on either one of them . So good luck to the both of you ,and i look forward to seeing your progress

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

• Like 1