Matchbox Jaguar GR1

I love your profile picture with the meer cat that rocks mate.

Yeah, like the meerkat, also came from Facebook, someone used it as a profile pic so I nicked it.

Decal sheet will be where you left it............."If I knew that I wouldn't still be looking would I"

hope turns up ok.

• Like 1

Well this really is strange. I have been looking at the decal sheet for weeks.... Can I find it...? ,,,,,,, NO!

So can anyone provide me with photos of a jaguar in this scheme that carried only serials and roundels with no SQN badges.

Cheers Rob

Well with the decals lost (spits feathers with teeth) I guess I will have to make this one as a Jaguar that is in this scheme with no SQN markings unless there is a decal pack I can order but its getting very close now....

Ok so here are a few photos I found on google thanks to those who took them but anyone know which Jags they are i.e. serial number..

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/jaguar/motorway-trials.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joseluiscel/3150821249/

Suggestions and photo material very welcome at this stage... Cheers Rob :bounce:

Edited by robvulcan

I've read in a few internet sites that XX109 was the aircraft that did the M55 STOL demonstration.

If you do that one, you'll have to ignore the fact that its cannon troughs are faired over. :winkgrin: .

If you do the second, it also has no cannon troughs nor does it have the fin RWR!

I'll look through my books later to see if I can find another suitable one.

David

• Like 1

Here's a pic that's clearly (well not so much in the scan but in my original) of XX109 trying the Linescan recce pod. In the colours you want and with fin RWR but no cannons.

001_zps32bed470.jpgDavid

• Like 1

It's reus

Hey, Rob,

when you use blue-tack, or whatever, like that to mask, do you have to throw it all away after as it's full of paint chips. Or is it reusable?

David

It's reusable to a point but I tend to use fresh. At tescos its usually only £1 so not much.

I am about to do the harrier in the same way but I am doing the green first as this definitely gives better results due to humans seeing the dominant colour. But I notice also it produces better curves too. If you compare this jaguar which has been done grey first you will see it has some sharper edging, to my recent vulcan in RFI XM606 you will see green first gives better results even though this is not how it's applied in real life but that's because they don't use blue tak on the real ones ! Haha making inverted masks.

I am pleased with how's its turned out but doing the grey to mask the green made my mind ache and go loopy.

It's much easier to mask off the green you want and much easier to see the pattern you want. I think the confusion is added too by you seeing on a photo dominant green and secondary grey were on the model you see dominant grey secondary blue tak and are trying to archive the opposite. Trying to explain it is hard enough.

I hope it helps. Are these new techniques to you I am curious about what you are modelling now.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

>

>

Are these new techniques to you I am curious about what you are modelling now.

Cheers Rob ;)

I am currently wrapping up a GB on another forum. Here's the results so far.

6514f3c8-6cf3-4c9a-ac84-8fdfd5e603b7_zps

I used to airbrush but didn't enjoy it much and so my few models in recent years have been brush painted. I airbrushed this one but did the camo freehand because I am an inherently lazy modeller and hate masking. So the edges are a bit softer than they should be.

My hatred of masking also caused me to ask you about the camo under the leading edges. I am always looking for easier ways to do that on RAF/RN aircraft. I wish somebody had throttled the idiot that set that as the standard back in the 60s!!!

David

• Like 1

I am currently wrapping up a GB on another forum. Here's the results so far.

6514f3c8-6cf3-4c9a-ac84-8fdfd5e603b7_zps

I used to airbrush but didn't enjoy it much and so my few models in recent years have been brush painted. I airbrushed this one but did the camo freehand because I am an inherently lazy modeller and hate masking. So the edges are a bit softer than they should be.

My hatred of masking also caused me to ask you about the camo under the leading edges. I am always looking for easier ways to do that on RAF/RN aircraft. I wish somebody had throttled the idiot that set that as the standard back in the 60s!!!

David

Very nice David. My airbrush packed up in 2011 when finishing my nimrod (still needs final work)

Too poor to buy another (or justify it against other wants) I had decided to try to learn to brush properly or seek other methods.

I even used sponges and enamels ..... (Worked pretty good actually !) but I spoke to a chap on here using W&N flow improver with acrylics WOW brushing with this added to humbrol, citadel, xtracrylics, revell aqua, over a matt aerosol base has been a fantastic experience. Helped along with humbrols mind blowingly good aerosol paints and I'm more hooked on models than ever.

Blu tak is another good friend but don't heavy spray just mist it on from a distance or it will flood and give nasty results.

I don't want to seem condescending in offering this help for I am by no means a great modeller but I do like to help others passing on what I have learned from others who have been kind to help me. I learn so much on here its fantastic.

You probs know these ones already but fatter blue tak softer edges thinner edges harder line. Also regarding the wrapped over camo edges it really is a good idea to leave the mask on 24 hours for best results I rushed mine here for the deadline.

And yes it is an odd design but it looks attractive and actually I find it easier to mask than to the edge versions.

Cheers David and please send a link to your build it would be nice to watch your progress.

;)

>

>

Cheers David and please send a link to your build it would be nice to watch your progress.

;)

I'm not sure of the forum etiquette on posting links to other modelling forums. So I'll PM it to you.

Any advice is always welcomed.

David

• Like 1

I'm not sure of the forum etiquette on posting links to other modelling forums. So I'll PM it to you.

Any advice is always welcomed.

David

Cool glad I could help. And yea I had not thought of that. Cheers David.

Rob ;)

Well its update time again. She is nearly done but there is a race on. With me managing to loose the decals..... :banghead:. Enzo has very kindly posted me some suitable replacements and hopefully they will be here tommoro and I can get this bird done... All I need to do is give her a coat of klear get the decals on varnish it weather it with chalks maybe and then varnish again. Masks off the windows and done..

Here she is as of now.

null_zpsd17cab4b.jpg

null_zps893acc6d.jpg

null_zpsa99ac6da.jpg

The bench is so messy its untrue.. But with making a Harrier, Jaguar, Tornado, Spitfire, at the same time Its to be expected...

:bounce: Cheers for now Rob

• Like 1

You devil, I bought two Hasegawa Jaguars between this thread and Fritag's reminiscences. I'll send you a bill shortly.

Haha COOL if that is the 2 pack of black Jags I am on my way to buy that soon. Lovely stuff. Jags rock.

Looks great but where's the nose probe or are you adding that at last minute? What mix of stores are you planning for it? I assume it's going on a stand?

David

The nose probe I will fit last with PVA as It will likely get broke off anyway with current circumstances I mostly build them flying with smaller parts off.

No stand but will make one in the future. However I will be photoing her flying for the end.

As for the stores. Nothing. Earlier in the thread I had a look at various spares I had and as Enzos said looking at a video I posted I decided on none. As Jags often flew this way it seems. Which Is fair enough. I was thinking Initially of fuel tanks and bombs but shes staying clean.

Cheers Rob ;)

Haha COOL if that is the 2 pack of black Jags I am on my way to buy that soon. Lovely stuff. Jags rock.

Oh, I already had that. Then I realized I really needed to build more, and I'm just barely restraining myself from buying the two trainer version set.

• Like 2

Oh, I already had that. Then I realized I really needed to build more, and I'm just barely restraining myself from buying the two trainer version set.

I know I am mad crazy about them all, RAF, Jets, Any version, colour, I am there. Want it and will build it. Just wish there was more time. Its not just Vulcans with me but just I have a particular thing for the tin triangle.

The trainer Jaguar looks more elegant that the GR versions to my eyes. Love em all.

Same "problem" here, though with rather less skill than you have, I think. I do have a particular fondness for the 1970s-1980s era RAF stuff. A vast array of purposeful looking aircraft carrying brute-force weapons that were mostly anything but smart.

• Like 1

Same "problem" here, though with rather less skill than you have, I think. I do have a particular fondness for the 1970s-1980s era RAF stuff. A vast array of purposeful looking aircraft carrying brute-force weapons that were mostly anything but smart.

I have to agree with that Probably my fave era and though for me I love it all but the 50s onwards RAF is my fave.

• Like 1

As regards skills I do my best but there is always a need to improve. One of the reasons I like to do the odd 1/144TH is I have this idea that trying to miniaturize your own skills helps improve your quality on bigger builds as it seems easier.

I'm just barely restraining myself from buying the two trainer version set.

So... what happens six months down the line when you really reeeely need to build a Jag t-bird and it's not available anymore? Do you really wanna take that risk?!?!? :wicked: