Matchbox Jaguar GR1

Am I right in thinking my old old Airfix 1/72 Jaguar also has loads of prototype features, and that Airfix at least modified and re-released it to be more like a production one?

(not really thread relevant sorry Rob)

Regards,

Adrian

Yes, the original Airfix issue was of the prototype. It had a pointy nose, intake splitter plates, a short fin and no ventral strakes. It also had wrongly shaped cannon fairings.

Type%203%20BAC%20Jaguar.jpg

I still have a couple in the stash.

They altered the moulds twice - once to make it up to production GR1 standards (cannons, fin, intakes, nose, ventral strakes and weapons changes) and lastly to tweak it into a GR3 (pretty much just weaponry) .

David

Yes pardon my silly humour regarding the pilot. I was thinking it might make a good caption fodder to some out there.

That box art Is terrific another thing I love about old kits is that and the way they smell inside like old model shop smell. mmmmmm

Is it true that the alpha jet is somehow related to the jaguar.

Cheers Rob

Is it true that the alpha jet is somehow related to the jaguar.

Both were a result of the Breguet design team, albeit with different partners.

Jaguar - Breguet, BAC

Alpha Jet - Breguet, Dornier

• Like 1

Thanks Enzo. I should look half this stuff up but I believe forums should be chatty friendly places..

Thanks.

Been preparing her for painting soon I hope.

The harrier is catching her up

Cheers Rob

My thoughts exactly!

And now I want to build an Alpha Jet! :D So many projects... so little time... :bounce:

Good to know, There are many times I have asked questions and people say look on google. Trouble is I type fast and to me its just like chatting so random questions come out and hopefully a good chat happens. Much more fun that searching. More fun to search chat and share. That's how you come across the good stuff.

Me too the alpha jet is gorgeous. I would love to do a black and olive kinetic bird in 48th.

Cheers Rob

Me too the alpha jet is gorgeous. I would love to do a black and olive kinetic bird in 48th.

I built the Matchbox Alpha Jet back in the day. That too represents a prototype machine.

My problem is that I can't just build one of anything. :wall: I would want to build at least three... German, French and Belgian for starters...

• Like 2

I built the Matchbox Alpha Jet back in the day. That too represents a prototype machine.

My problem is that I can't just build one of anything. :wall: I would want to build at least three... German, French and Belgian for starters...

Yes I know what you mean its nice to build a few versions of all types. Thats me with vulcans for sure. Look at canberra kid and all his canberras.. I quite fancy a few drakens in 48th too particularly the all olive danish birds.

I like the look of the Alpha jet too - but prefer the Hawk - in the last analysis the Alpha Jet is a bit dumpy and cutesy looking for a warplane IMHO.

There's a long standing debate/rivalry between Hawk and Alpha Jet proponents about which one is 'better' (there's also a debate about whether any such comparison is actually meaningful?). It's almost a tradition.

Here's an example - not by any means the best but just one that came up on a quick google search:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?4361-Alpha-Jet-versus-Hawk

There's a comment in it that the Alpha Jet was/is cleared to +12g (which I didn't know) - which is pretty bloody impressive - I've flown the jag and the F16C which were 8g and 9g respectively (and of course the Hawk but I can't remember what that was cleared to). That said - there's no way I can think that the Alpha Jet has the power to sustain a 12g turn and I doubt it could sustain a 9g turn (which the F16 could/can and it's bloody hard work and is accompanied by much grunting and sweating).

• Like 3

It's great to hear from a man of experience. I for one am not lucky enough to be able to compare in that manner. The only thing I ever got to control in the air was a Cessna 152 and that was fantastic.

For me there is no cam parison between the hawk and alpha jet. The hawk seems much more "serious" but I would not underestimate the alpha jet. For me going on looks alone the gnat and alpha key seem more comparable.

I have always admired all these planes they are cool and pretty cheers Rob

Well its back to it now, I have sprayed her black and given her another rub down. Now I will spray more black on the nose tail etc mask them off then spray the grey.

null_zpsff55f0c8.jpg

null_zps61f0afd6.jpg

I had to take a picture of this. I love hoe my old spit looks on this Dio base. The top of my Rack gear in my studio is becoming a little hangar...

the Vulcan I made recently Is safe at the back and my bobkit harrier t4 loosely clipped together which I will build up soon..

null_zps1fd1c70c.jpg

Cheers Rob ;)

Edited by robvulcan

That Spit looks great Rob :)

What's the T34? Solid tracks and road wheels?

Cheers

Cliff

Hi Cliff thanks the spit is one I made in 2011 and the tank is my recent first tank its the Armourfast kit. Nice shape but extremely simple. I wanted a quick fun build after Telford. Seeing all the armour inspired me to have a go.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234949844-my-first-tank/

Cheers Rob ;)

Hi all well I had masked the black areas off and then sprayed the light grey on using HU64 rattle can. This grey I could use but I think I will overpaint with HU166. I love hu64 its a very good versatile color. I find it good for top surfaces and undersides but its best use is worn faded MSG. I have used it equally as and underside colour. Its origin would be nice to know as I have heard it referred to MSG back in the old days. But also as the original underside color of ww2 spits Anyone know ?

Anyhow here she is.

null_zpsf92b726a.jpg

null_zpsdfbd71fa.jpg

null_zps5f959602.jpg

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Yes I although don't consider myself to stick to a scale mostly do 1/72 but I am getting more into 1/48th. Opening the Tamiya spit vb and airfix spit xii this weekend made me feel like a kid again.. Like you say more to hold on to and easier to work with.

The flip side is I like to test my eyes and dexterity with the challenge of 1/200 and 1/144th Good for tweaking your skils up a little I think,

Cheers Rob

I have now brush painted two coats of HU166 on the undersides.

null_zpsfd30c573.jpg

now I can mask it and get the grey on then my fave bit the blue taking the cammo. Hopefully wont be long till shes cooked so to speak..

Cheers Rob

Hey rob take pity on those of us who do 48th to test OUR eyesight and dexterity :clif: You young pup you....

Interesting comments about the intended use of 64, I've only thought of it as a base coat but it's unlikely to be in the humbrol range as that when they do primer as colour 1 :shrug:

Anyhow another good looking build there and a few for KUTA IV in the background as well. :thumbsup:

Hi there mate yes indeed I hope my eyes continue to work for a bit yet...

The HU64 colour when I was a lad was often used for the undersides of mkvb spitfires I still thought it was until I learned it should be hu165, Same as hu27 was the call out for them instead of 106 and hu30 instead of 163.

Its a strange colour but very useful I used it for the Foxbat too. and I use it on Vulcans when I was a well worn MSG,

Yes the pile of mess on the desk is from working on models, tidying would you believe.......... and yes those are part of the pile of stalled builds I am making congregate on the workbench in anticipation of KUTA IV I have alot to shift and if I am not carefull this jag and the harrier are catching the stall disease...... nooooo.

So far for KUTA IV I think this is the list..

Buccaneer,

Hornet,

vulcan b1 x3,

vulcan b2,

victor,

b-17,

harrier gr1, x2,

harrier gr9,

spitfire mkvb,

aeroclub venom,

and likely more...

cheers Rob