Matchbox Jaguar GR1

Hi all I have kindly been aloud to enter this old kit I got from Telford. I love old kits and I really love Matchbox. The plastic the look the nostalgia its all there I can remember when they were everywhere and at my local paper shop.. Them was the days..........

I also picked up a heller bobcat t4 harrier, a matchbox hunter T7 and with the many old kits I have I am spoilt for choice, I really like this GB and might enter more yet. I have a plasticart Comet 4 That I would love to do as and RAF bird but cant find decals or possible livery options for that one. I may enter Frog Vulcan too ...

Lets see how this goes. I am a huge fan of the Jaguar and oh how I miss them. They really were beautiful.

null_zpsa39279d5.jpg

null_zpsd081722b.jpg

The kit is very nice and fit is excellent so far. I only started her this morning over coffee.

Cheers Rob

Mate, did this a couple of times as a nipper. Remember hanging one of these from the ceiling. Looking forward to this build, I can already feel me moving away from my RAF WWII only stance and moving towards the E-Bay zone......and looking for the Matchbox Bucc and Hunter as well....

• Like 2

Cool choice Rob. I was another kid who had this one hanging from the ceiling and those big AS30(?) missiles looked ace under the wings. Utterlly unauthentic but looked great.

Great and go for it.. I need to get back into doing WW2 stuff but I mainly build this sort of thing.

I am thinking I will possibly do this wheels up as I have corgi die cast ones with wheels down and the wheels on this are not that great.

Also I think I will do her as a wrap around machine.

Cheers Rob

I am not a usually big one for doing mods on kits unless its modding Vulcan B2s to B1s (when does do it does it in a laborious manner....)

However the intakes caught my eye and just didn't look right to my eye.

This is how the molding is with a triangular plate and a flap that extends in front of the intake.

null_zps28ab9757.jpg

null_zpse30eedf0.jpg

null_zpse29525f8.jpg

So I have done some minor surgery

null_zps4e16917a.jpg

null_zps69f885f6.jpg

null_zpsb3628ca6.jpg

Looks ok to me, more like a Jag how I remember them.

Cheers Rob ;)

Think this one was based more on the prototypes than the production machines hence the 'funny' intakes.

It certainly is, French prototype Jag intakes were configured that way as well as the original Jag S prototype for the RAF. Rob, it's worth checking the dimensions of the fin & rudder as they were increased in height after initial trials, if Matchbox based the intakes on the pre-production machines they might also have the short fin. Another type to use the original design intakes was the French Jag M. A proposed (and prototyped) carrier version that was found to be rather lacking in everything a carrier plane needs to be! Would make a cracking whif though: Royal Navy, no Sea Harrier or small carrier development... '82, Falklands... HMS Ark Royal (fresh from refurb) joins up with HMS Eagle to head down with Phantoms, Buccaneers & Jaguars ;)

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking my old old Airfix 1/72 Jaguar also has loads of prototype features, and that Airfix at least modified and re-released it to be more like a production one?

(not really thread relevant sorry Rob)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking my old old Airfix 1/72 Jaguar also has loads of prototype features, and that Airfix at least modified and re-released it to be more like a production one?

(not really thread relevant sorry Rob)

Regards,

Adrian

I didn't think so. Airfix was originally released without the rangefinder windows in the nose and RWR in the tail - as the first Jags were delivered.

The kit was modified thus shortly afterwards. Let u know the prototype features, to compare with the model.

Jaguar.jpg

This was was given to a local vicar (former Jag SEO in a former career). . . and he's delighted with it :yahoo:

• Like 1

I built this kit when I was nobbut a young lad. I remember my family had gone on holiday to a cottage in the middle of nowhere near Nairn in Scotland. In the local village there was a single shop. It was the village food shop, off licence, post office and newsagent all rolled into one. It also had an astonishing selection of kits! I can't imagine they sold well in that location, but there they were!

I had built numerous Matchbox kits, but they were all the two-colour ones. I had no idea that Matchbox were releasing larger kits in three colours. The Jaguar stood out! How can anyone resist that boxart?!?!? :hypnotised:

As we were on holiday I had saved up a lot of pocket money as holiday spends. I wanted to blow most of it on the Jaguar almost straight away, but I wasn't allowed to. It was made very clear to me that if I spent all my money straight away, then no one would buy me toffees and other things during the rest of the holiday. Parents and grandparents were convinced that I would just fritter the spends away.

It didn't happen. I reeeely wanted that Jaguar! I had sleepless nights where I was convinced it would get sold before the end of our holiday. However, every time we went into that shot, it was still there with the rest of the kits on a metal revolving stand. I always turned the stand so the Jaguar was facing the wall and no one could see it. :)

In the meantime, I didn't buy any toffees. I didn't buy any pop. I didn't buy any comics. I had enough money for the Jaguar and was determined not to spoil my chances of getting it. Finally, two days before we were due to go home, I had enough money to buy the Jaguar and buy all the other holiday stuff as well. The next time we went into that shop, that Jaguar was straight in my sticky paws!!! :D

But... my grandad had kept a beady eye on me all holiday. He had seen that I had forgone all the usual holiday temptations and was impressed with my self-discipline. So... he bought that Jaguar for me!!! :yahoo:

I thoroughly enjoyed building that kit. Oddly enough, it is still sat in the attic in my mum's house.

So, I'm really looking forward to see this one. :thumbsup:

former Jag SEO in a former career

<pedant>

Sengo

</pedant>

:smartass:

• Like 5

Enzo your story has really brought back so many memories of holidays in wales at Barmouth with all the Jets flying over from RAF llanbedr. There was many newsagents back then that sold kits alot were Matchbox and there was a shop in porthmadog that was stocked from floor to ceiling with them and other kits in a special back room just for kits.

I remember making many of them and life was good that with maestro museum (not sure of spelling) Had its own Spitfire and a massive model shop.

Sat here I can confirm that nostalgia trips such as yours make my Custard Creams taste better.... :popcorn:

• Like 2

Great story Enzo. Funny how Britmodeller seems to keep reminding us of happy memories like yours. It's one of the reasons I love coming to this forum!

Absolutely that the funnies section and all the great folk on here.

Best with Coffee and Matchbox Kits.

Can't handle caffeine these days. Matchbox kits, however...

I've just checked in The Stash. I have a Meteor HF14, Dassault Mystere IVA, Noorduyn Norseman and two Fiat G91Ys. The problem is that I don't want to build any of these as a nostalgia build.

But I'm just completing a Matchbox Beaufighter and Corsair F4U-4 in this GB. They have been incredible fun!

I have fancied a Beaufighter for many years must have ago soon. I have a problem with caffeine too. I drink so much of it and then I get to a point were I cant handle it. I really should stay off it.

I would sooner have the amount of Matchbox kits as I do cups of coffee.

• Like 1

Rob,

The Jaguar is looking good.

It's been a long time since I've seen this kit built up, and I don't think I've ever built it myself. However, some of the nostalgia trips on this thread have reminded me of the time I nearly bought it. It was on holiday in Bournemouth as a youngster (<10) and for some reason I fancied buying a kit of a Jaguar. After a bit of searching I bought the Airfix kit. Well, I seem to remember it was a pig of a kit to build; nothing fitted. Anyway, a couple of days later I came across the Matchbox Jaguar in a shop in town. I remember saying to my Dad that I wished I had bought the Matchbox one instead as it "probably would have been easier to build." He agreed. It's interesting that even in those days I recognised that Matchbox kits went together quite nicely in the main.

<Sigh> It was all so long ago.

regards,

Martin

• Like 2

Hi martin. Yes I built the Airfix one myself. I do like Airfix kits. I guess their marketing and famous name deceived kids to thinking they were best. though to be fair Airfix do seem to get the shape right.

Matchbox do go together nicely. I can remember on a holiday in barmouth I bought an Airfix buccaneer and my mate a matchbox harrier GR3. I was envious he had his built and painted when I was still trying to get the fuselage to fit.

It also looked way better with those engraved lines deep yes but still cool. I also loved the shape of the matchbox harrier.

I remember he bought the A-10 but it never got built shame as I do love the A-10 but never made one yet. I wonder how the Matchbox one was....

I have in the stash a Matchbox, Harrier gr1,gr3,, chinook, lynx, thunderbolt, buckeye, hunter t7, and possibly a few more. I love everything about them the box art. the moldings the fit the fun and the character. They are just magic.

I wish they would re-release them especially some of the more unusual kits and definitely the Buccanneer which in my view is the best of the kits out there in this scale thats of the older classic injection variety.

Cheers Rob. ;)

I am Hoping to find some spares from past builds to give this Jaguar a better selection of stuff under wing. I think I have some fuel pods from a tornado would these be the same.