Airfix Hurricane Mk 1

Selwyn

Plus the first 80 N-serials airframes, according to Mason, most of which were rewinged. He only states that some of the L-serials were. As a result of contract pecularities, Hawker were building metal wings as replacements whilst issuing fabric-winged fighters to the RAF. Dowding is said to have taken steps to correct this.

PS suggesting that the last fabric-winged Hurricane left the production line around mid-late November 1939. Mason is less than precise over the details, but suggests that these were destined to be rewinged in MUs before service. That apparently only most were may be due to a shortage of metal wings in the MUs.

Edited by Graham Boak

Plus the first 80 N-serials airframes, according to Mason, most of which were rewinged. He only states that some of the L-serials were. As a result of contract pecularities, Hawker were building metal wings as replacements whilst issuing fabric-winged fighters to the RAF. Dowding is said to have taken steps to correct this.

Thank you for your clarification on the matter Graham.

I know this might be a bit late but I picked up this kit at Telford and have just got round to taking some comprehensive sprue shots.

I hope they will be of use to modellers considering this kit as it is really impressive.

There are plenty of optional parts available to portray different fabric winged Hurricanes....

I plan to buy a couple more of these

HurricaneSprueAFront_zpsb7daf839.jpg

HurricaneSprueBFront_zps74160e57.jpg

Overall very very impressive.

One obvious glitch. 4 spoke wheels. Should be 5 spoke.

I have never seen an early Hurricane with 4 spoke wheels, that includes the early metal winged as well.

Not knocking Airfix, this detail is often missed eg Classic Airframes, Aardvard or MDC conversions, the 1/32 PCM kit got it right.

[and Italeri included 3 spoke wheels which I never seen on any Hurricane ever]

I don't 'do' 1/72 so the Sword kit may have them.

the 2nd I'd need to see the kit, but looks like they may have made the error Hasegawa did in their 148 kit, of have 'edges' to fabric covered inspection panels behind the cockpit. I really hope not. It may just be the light.

The Hasegawa error was then replicated by other companies, Classic Airframes and Pegasus... It's a hard one to fix as well

see here for pics http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234934849-classic-airframes-hurricane-worth-getting/

Airfix have got the lack of the starboard rectangular panel right [wrong on the CA kit] and the fabric covered inner wing roots [dismissed in the MDC instructions, but photo in linked thread]

One final point, regarding rewinging fabric winged hurricanes, what happened to this panel?

has anyone ever seen a photo a fabric winged Hurricane rewinged? Given the loss of Hurricanes in France, and the speed of new ones being built, would it make sense to use metal wings on an old airframe, rather than just sending it 'as is' to an OTU.

There is a pic from about 1942 of a fabric winged Hurricane in a training unit which has nosed over in Hurricane At War 2 if anyone has that to hand.

Pity it's not 1/48th is my real gripe :(

cheers

T

If Mason is correct, the rewinging was occurring before the Battle of France, even before issue to squadrons. There is a reference in 12 Days in May to a fabric winged replacement arriving in France, and being viewed as scraping the bottom of the barrel for replacements. However the metal wings were being built for replacement stock, and very many aircraft were rebuilt during the Battle of Britain (and some of those who made it back from France). It would be logical to use these wings at that time. It certainly makes sense to pass older airframes to the OTUs in preference, but which ones went to OTUs and which made it back into the squadrons would depend upon the current needs for either.

Older aircraft could be and were recycled through the system and maintained as front line - one elderly N-serial Hurricane fought in Operation Pedestal in August 1942, although not one of the first 80. The Russians were to complain bitterly about deliveries of well-used fighters. There is a quoted story of an OTU Hurricane with one fabric wing and one metal - something tested in 1939 by Hawkers to prove interchangeability.

Presumably fabric wings taken from aircraft were in turn kept in store as spares, and some may well have been used if convenient.

Edited by Graham Boak

One final point, regarding rewinging fabric winged hurricanes, what happened to this panel?

Hello!

Have not researched this myself, but I've been told that some of the Finnish Hurricanes were rewinged and they did indeed have the fabric covering left on the inner wings. This was done in UK already, not a Finnish mod.

One of the Finnish ones got a Mk II metal wing (war booty) later. Don't remember which one and right now cannot check.

Cheers,

Kari

Picked one of these up today,would have taken more if they had been available. It looks like this (and the metal winged version when it is released) will be one of those kits that will be a blank canvas for all Hurricane fans out there. Very happy with it. I can see my Sword kit donating its 73 Sqn decals to the cause.

In the box there's a pre-war 111 Squadron example from I believe a Bastille Day celebration, but are you asking what aftermarket decals for an early RAF Hurricane in the war exist?

In the box there's a pre-war 111 Squadron example from I believe a Bastille Day celebration, but are you asking what aftermarket decals for an early RAF Hurricane in the war exist?

Hello Procopius

Sorry I should have been more precise but this is exactky what I want to know ...I should receive mine example this week with this decal sheet http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SKY72053 ..

Thans in advance

Patrice

Hello Procopius

Sorry I should have been more precise but this is exactky what I want to know ...I should receive mine example this week with this decal sheet http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SKY72053 ..

Thans in advance

Patrice

The Skymodels sheet has very few early fabric winged options on it, looking at the pic of the sheet at Hannants, I only 2 'L' serialed planes.

A word of caution, I have the 1/48th version of this, and I'd not trust all the options and the colours of the code letters is a bit off

There's this Aeromaster sheet (72-024) if you can find it.

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/aero/am72024.htm

Tim

Not really much use, just maybe the Finnish plane had fabric wings, they got 12 mk I's, and IIRC 4 or 5 had fabric wings.

EDIT - found this thread

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/38048-finnish-hurricanes-fabric-or-metal-wingers/

courtesy of Drdave

" of Finnish a/c only HC 451,455,456 and 462 had fabric wings" p 7 suomen 25 Hurricane

So, the Aeromaster option is not one of these.

The Romanian option doesn't. They also recieved 12 hurricanes, all metal wings but with 5 spoke wheels.

The only 3 Romanian planes with fabric wings were 3 passed on by the Germans from Yugoslavia, and these retained their 3 colour Yugoslavian upper camouflage and high underside colour demarcation.

Iliad Designs did a sheet in 1/48th

http://www.iliad-design.com/decals/prewarhurri.html

which might get scaled down to 1/72nd.

I'd not be surprised if Xtradecal come up with something. A lot of pre-war/early war schemes could be made up from generic sheets, but note that early Hurricanes of the Lxxxx and Nxxxx serails had 6" high serial, not the later 8".

as seen here is this rare shot of a pre war plane. From Etienne's flickr stream, since folks don't seem to follow links, i'll repost them here.

Much detail can be gleaned from careful study of these, for example the overpainted yellow outer rings on the fuselage, and difference between metal and fabric on wing

2527541716_8b301ca18d_o.jpg

3559753440_2e5c2791ef_o.jpg

2525590932_1d5fb9662f_o.jpg

HTH

T

• Like 3

Good evening

In this book http://www.amazon.com/Hurricane-Aces-1939-40-Aircraft/dp/1855325977

I found that Paul RICHEY http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fighter-Pilot-CASSELL-MILITARY-PAPERBACKS/dp/0304363391

Cobber KAIN http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Kain

Dennis DAVID http://www.mishalov.com/David.html

And others flew fabric wing Hurricanes at the beginning of WW2 ..

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5

I've been long awaiting this kit, especially since I bought Jim Chapman's history of No. 3 squadron decal sheet.

Within this sheet there are 3 x Mk. 1 Hurricanes -

L1934 OP-D Biggin Hill Summer 1939

P3143 QO-Z Kenley /Croyden March 1940

L1932 QO-S shot down in France 14 May 1940

I''m happy to assume that L1934 had Fabric wings and 2 blade prop, however can anyone else confirm the other two options.

I'm especially interested in the later "Battle of France" option as this is a definite build for me.

By the way - if you happen to find this sheet, don't hesitate just buy it - Xtradecal quality and superb options...

Cheers.. Dave

Manged to find one today and it looks very good, In reply to an enquiry further up the thread I checked my Sword/Az Hurricane and tha thas the four spoke wheel. i am tempted to use the five spoke of an old Airfix Hurricane 1, but I am willing to bet some resin replcement will appear. (Colin are you listening?)

If Mason is correct, the rewinging was occurring before the Battle of France, even before issue to squadrons. There is a reference in 12 Days in May to a fabric winged replacement arriving in France, and being viewed as scraping the bottom of the barrel for replacements. However the metal wings were being built for replacement stock, and very many aircraft were rebuilt during the Battle of Britain (and some of those who made it back from France). It would be logical to use these wings at that time. It certainly makes sense to pass older airframes to the OTUs in preference, but which ones went to OTUs and which made it back into the squadrons would depend upon the current needs for either.

Older aircraft could be and were recycled through the system and maintained as front line - one elderly N-serial Hurricane fought in Operation Pedestal in August 1942, although not one of the first 80. The Russians were to complain bitterly about deliveries of well-used fighters. There is a quoted story of an OTU Hurricane with one fabric wing and one metal - something tested in 1939 by Hawkers to prove interchangeability.

Presumably fabric wings taken from aircraft were in turn kept in store as spares, and some may well have been used if convenient.

I've been long awaiting this kit, especially since I bought Jim Chapman's history of No. 3 squadron decal sheet.

Within this sheet there are 3 x Mk. 1 Hurricanes -

L1934 OP-D Biggin Hill Summer 1939

P3143 QO-Z Kenley /Croyden March 1940

L1932 QO-S shot down in France 14 May 1940

I''m happy to assume that L1934 had Fabric wings and 2 blade prop, however can anyone else confirm the other two options.

I'm especially interested in the later "Battle of France" option as this is a definite build for me.

By the way - if you happen to find this sheet, don't hesitate just buy it - Xtradecal quality and superb options...

Cheers.. Dave

Hi Dave

I've quoted Graham above, as he's mentioned the point ' a reference in 12 Days in May to a fabric winged replacement arriving in France, and being viewed as scraping the bottom of the barrel for replacements'

as for L1932, without access to an aircraft service history, don't know. Note that in the colour photos L1936,L1937 and L1940 are visible.

If L1932 had gone to France, and stayed there, I'd be surprised if rewinged. But I'd suggest having De Havilland propeller fitted as well as new exhausts [which burn out in time]

the reason for this supposition is that at least one 85 sq plane still had fabric wings at Lille Seclin in May 1940, as shown here.

large.jpg

from this thread. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234907653-hurricane-i-vy-cg-of-85-sqn-lille-seclin-around-apr-1940

note the faded outerwing panels, don't know if the fabric faded more, or due to difference in reflectance of metal vs fabric.

also of relevance to Battle of France

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234946963-hurricane-1-87-sqn-lille-seclin-france-1940/

Cockpit colour - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52968-hurricane-mk1-cockpit-colour/page-2?hl=hurricane#entry742480

ie mostly aluminium paint, not grey green. This is visible on the inside of the canopy framework of the science museum Hurricane walkround linked below.

how do you tell a fabric from a metal wing?

from the rear, if you can see the difference, as shown in the 85 sq pic above

from the side, if you can see the ejector ports, fabric has a 5 slots, metal has 4, but usually tricky to see.

from the front, the metal wing has the landing lights a wing bay further out compared to the fabric wing

metal

shurr-1.jpg

fabric. The apparent bare metal around the gun ports is also of note.

3559753440_2e5c2791ef_o.jpg

here's one to bookmark, high res walkround of the science museum example, usefully hanging up so lots of unusual detail visible

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_mk1_l1592/

of note in this shot, the faint diagonal line from ejector port to landing light is the join of the 4 ft wide linen strips used as covering, and the jagged line of the fabric at the leading edge, which if you look carefully are triangular crenelations, from using pinking shears, this stops fabric from fraying.

also note that the fabric overlaps the metal leading edge, which runs the length of the wing. The rivets are just visible.

Compare the ejector slots with those just visible in the metal winged pic above as well.

hurricane_mk1_l1592_16_of_26.jpg

Manged to find one today and it looks very good, In reply to an enquiry further up the thread I checked my Sword/Az Hurricane and tha thas the four spoke wheel. i am tempted to use the five spoke of an old Airfix Hurricane 1, but I am willing to bet some resin replcement will appear. (Colin are you listening?)

if you have a set of 5 spoke hubs from a spitfire kit, they are the same as used on the Hurricane, but the tyres are different. It should be possible to graft in a set of the 5 spoke hubs though.

HTH

T

• Like 1

Troy,

Great post.. Many thanks for all the useful links and offering suggestions to my question.

It's always great to picks the brains of the many knowledgable folk on this website..

My New Years resolution is to donate some funds to the moderators in order to do my bit to keep this forum happening.

Let me get over what is turning out to be a very expensive Christmas..

Cheers.. Dave.

I've got this kit to the painting stage now however I have come across one thing I can't figure out. I have gone for the two blade prop and although it fits into the hole provided, it doesn't spin as it would come back out. Is it meant to be glued on? That would be a shame if so but want to confirm before I do anything like that.

Thanks.

Troy: I don't think the comment in 12DM in any way counts against the presence of fabric-winged aircraft with the units in France in May 1940, when these had been there for some time. I read it as referring to the state of replacement aircraft flown in after the start of the campaign. Indeed, the comment was made towards the end of the 12 days, after many new (and not so new) Hurricanes had already been flown in, which perhaps places it in better context.

At the risk of stating the obvious and not having seen the instructions, was the prop shaft not supposed to be fitted between the two fuselage halves?

Doug, no is the simple answer, it 'plugs' in like the tiffie. There are two 'clamps' that holds the prop in place. I dont remember cementing in place.