Airfix Hurricane Mk 1

Selwyn

Hi Selwyn and Graham,

Please excuse my ignorance is this a 1/72nd scale Hurricane kit or another scale? It is my favourite British fighter aircraft from the first half of World War II and I am interested any scale.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Still hoping Tamiya will release a 1/32nd Scale Hurricane Mk I with all the bells and whistles!

• Like 1

This is a new 1/72 Hurricane Mk.I with fabric wing. It is possible to do a very early one without ventral strake up to a later one with armoured windscreen. I did handle the sprues, briefly, in order to check on such features such as the nose cowling shape and the fuselage fabric. It appears to be very good indeed, but sadly is not due at my LHS until the end of the month.

Nick has beaten me to the posting.

• Like 1

This is a new 1/72 Hurricane Mk.I with fabric wing. It is possible to do a very early one without ventral strake up to a later one with armoured windscreen. I did handle the sprues, briefly, in order to check on such features such as the nose cowling shape and the fuselage fabric. It appears to be very good indeed, but sadly is not due at my LHS until the end of the month.

These words are very good news ! More so as I understand you know the Hurry well

Sounds like I'll have to buy one

Hardtarget is busy with one at the moment http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234949846-airfix-172-hurricane-mki-a02067-new-tool/#entry1455959

No sprue shots but at the rate he's building it you'll get to see most of the parts and how they fit quite soon.

Edited by Col.

Nick: Oof! I didn't think to look for that, I'm sorry to say. I'm afraid you'll have to ask on the concurrent thread about making one of these. As on the prototype? I suspect not.

Girogio: I hope I'm not over-egging this one, but judging from the CGI, the general appearance of the parts and the attention to details often missed. it really does impress me. This suggests they will have got right the other parts which I didn't look for (no plans, micrometer nor magnifying glass with me, I'm afraid!). Of course the real proof will be getting it into your hands and judging for yourself.

Edited by Graham Boak

Perfect timing finished the last two old mould mk1,s today,looks a little cracker,one question,will the fabric wing rule out an awful lot of markings

for battle of Britain era aircraft?

For Battle of Britain, yes. There were however a fair variety in the markings (and underside colours) in the run-up to the war, and the initial quiet period over the winter leading up to (and includng) the Battle of France. There are also export versions such as Yugoslav and Belgium (provided).

I'd like to think that a metal-winged version would follow reasonably soon, as a machine-gun wing was made available for the earlier Hurricane Mk.IIc. I don't know how interchangeable these wings might be with the current kit - assuming you might want to. You could always take a saw to the wings of the previous Mk.1 kit, removing the outer panels along the transport joint, but I think waiting is probably better.

Antics were selling them at Telford - I bought two while they were still unpacking the box!!

It really is a lovely kit. The fabric effect is restrained, especially on the rear fuselage; far superior to the Hasegawa one IMHO and the cockpit is well detailed albeit with a decal for the instrument panel (can't really complain in a £7 model). It has one up on the Italeri 1/48 kit - it doesn't have a cockpit floor :). I'll leave the final conclusion to the experts but it looks like Airfix have also finally cracked the shape of the upper engine cowl.

Nick, the prototype's oval exhausts aren't in the kit; you get the original kidney style and the later ejector version. However, you might be able to make them by reversing the latter as they have eight stubs where they locate in the slot. It might be possible to reverse them by careful cutting to achieve the desired effect.

While we're waiting for a proper review here's some quick sprue shots (sorry, I couldn't resist removing the wings and fuselage) :

DSCF0865_zpsbbed2666.jpg

DSCF0864_zpsb11a9e82.jpg

DSCF0863_zpsb03d730a.jpg

DSCF0870_zpsd411b558.jpg

DSCF0868_zps2b2d6703.jpg

DSCF0871_zps06c6956f.jpg

DSCF0872_zpsff005342.jpg

DSCF0875_zps3748cfd8.jpg

DSCF0874_zpscba95f8d.jpg

DSCF0876_zps97a8010f.jpg

Hopefully we won't have to wait until 2015 for the metal wing version. After that Mr Airfix, can we please have a proper Mk II/IV family (especially a IIb) to the same standard.

• Like 1

I`ve built the test shots and it was a lovely kit if my favourite aircraft! If I was to pick anything up,...it didn`t have 5 spoke wheels which were common on the early fabric winged Hurri`s,..but it bodes well for a metal winged variant. Also be careful where you mount the fuselage pitot as on my early model the hole was too low down,....the pitot should be attached to the upper panelling surrounding the cockpit. Also,...don`t the lower wing halves are longer tan the upper halves but they are supposed to be like that so don`t trim them to the same size!

I managed to get hold of two at Telford and will be buying more,.....it is a lovely kit and even better that the Tiffie!

Cheers

Tony O

Edited by tonyot

I think you all should thank me for this release. It is the result of me having put in a lot of effort building an original Airfix Hurricane mated to a Magna resin fabric wing. :pope::innocent:

• Like 2

I think you all should thank me for this release. It is the result of me having put in a lot of effort building an original Airfix Hurricane mated to a Magna resin fabric wing. :pope::innocent:

Well, using that analysis I think we should all now get our prized Dynavector Scimitars out of the stash and start building ready for the Airfix one next year...

• Like 1

Well, using that analysis I think we should all now get our prized Dynavector Scimitars out of the stash and start building ready for the Airfix one next year...

I'm building a couple of 1/72 Beaufighters in the Obsolete Kits GB.

Sounds a grand plan to me. Go go go with the Scimitar Work in Progress threads I say. A few Aeroclub Hunter T.7/8 conversions as well for good measure thanks :thumbsup: