Dropping off the mail,Airfix 1/600 HMS Belfast 1945,Waterlined+P.E+wooden deck.

This is Belfast in July 1945,before she set sail to the far east,she went back to over all grey with the blue strip along the hull,but the war was finished by the time she arrived.Then she went to spent most of her working life out there.Back to the model,as usual,the hull has been waterlined.having done one ship already,this was easy this time,had enough plans and pictures to make the changes to Belfast,most of it is where the walrus use to be.the crane was repositioned,the ships boats and added decks for anti aircraft armament and extra accommodation.I thought it was going to an easy conversion,but as I get deeper, kept discovery thats change and thats moved.In too deep now so carried on.The P.E. is by White Ensign models and deck by Artwox.

The Walrus was used to dropped the mail off and was kept on the fleet carriers for this and other duties.

Link for build http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234946874-airfix-1600-hms-belfast-may-1945-waterlinedpe-wooden-deck/

Photos

B1_zps182f9c94.jpg

B2_zps8687a6b8.jpg
B3_zps7766d4b5.jpg
B4_zps6d9f0334.jpg
B6_zps0454fed5.jpg
B5_zps8aa90d05.jpg

• Like 15

Well done Chewitt, that looks superb. To get such a good finish from this old kit is nothing short of inspirational to be honest, I wouldn't think of trying something like this with this sort of kit but you've shown how well it can be done. The presentation of the the diorama and quality of the water just finishes the build off beautifully.

Edited by Rob 1
  • Like 1

That's really good, amazing what some people can do with that Airfix kit.

Great presentation, my only ? would be the Walrus disappearing off to stage left, somehow looks detached from the organic look of the rest of the dio. Not a criticism by any means.

Al

Thin layer of wood glue,dry for 48hrs,paint colour,dry for 24hrs,another layer of wood glue,dry 48hrs,2 coats of gloss spray,l use Halfords cans.oh before l start mask the edges with tape and l cut out the shape of all the ships hull bottoms were they are going and don't cover those parts in glue.Hope that helps

• Like 1

That's an excellent job you've done there chewitt. I always thought that the Belfast was one of the best ship models produced by Airfix, and you've certainly done her justice.

I hope my 1/350 Belfast turns out as good as yours ! :goodjob::cheers:

Fantastic detail and diorama, love the way you have done the Walrus landing, the initinal plop on the water back up then down nice touch

Yes couldn't help myself with the walrus and thanks for the all comments

Cheers Chris

Hi Chewitt,

You have a lovely build there, thanks for showing off your progress as well along the way. I especially like the Walrus which looks great as it should since the Walrus is a lovely aeroplane.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Brushed up a treat. I really like the addition of the walrus and the colour of the water nicely replicates that inshore pea-green. Well done.

F