Airfix 1/72 Hurricane Mk.I A02067 (new Tool)

Picked this up at Telford on Saturday so though id get straight into it.

Nice lovely red box.

009.jpg

Started off with the wheel wells, 4 pieces plus the compressor, a little fidley but once set nice and solid.

010.jpg

Next stage you can affix the upper wing to the lower wing. Clamps are required.

011.jpg

Rudder pedals and stick cemented to the floor piece plus a spalsh of hu56.

012.jpg

CP, armour plate and bucket seat affixed painted hu56 and hu70 with the CP night.

013.jpg

Fuselage halves cemented together, nice fit and no major join line to fill.

014.jpg

Wing meets fuselage. Note here that you need to make sure that the fuselage is pressed down onto the wing to fill the wing root joints.

015.jpg

• Like 2

I think at arifix she is officially out, some traders got it on Friday and put it on the shelves sat morning so it literally only just come out. Although Airfix didnt have any which was odd.

She seems to hae the right sized prop, which is good.

Thanks for posting this... I almost forgot this was also on its way out having been overshadowed by plenty of Typhoon & Lightning talk lately.

I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping to see more photos of the kit sprues, decals and possible instruction sheet breakdown.

I've already got two on pre-order, however will probably have to wait a few more weeks until I get my hands on them.

Cheers .. Dave.

Yeah sorry about that, the parts didnt last long on the sprues and too eager in starting this build. Im sure someone will do an in depth review of it at some stage.

The good thing with this kit is that there two smaller sprues D/E D being the two blade and early rudder, early fuselarge under belly and E being the 3 blade, later rudder and later under belly so you can make either from this boxing.

Im sure we will see a boxing of the 3 blade in Pete Vachers R4118 colours as they were heavily involved with the design and the Airfix team took a lot of photos of her.

Edited by Hardtarget

I will be watching this with interest as I picked one up my self @ Telford, fantastic looking kit and the detail level is spot on.

one which I will put to the top of the oile befor the week is out.

Update on the hurricane,

Undercarridge fitted. A little fidely and you need to make sure the pind from the cross struts stick into the wheel well as they tend to pop out.

005.jpg

Close up

006.jpg

Airbrush time with hu56 loaded.

007.jpg

Other parts requiring the same colour.

008.jpg

Fliped her over and started the earth.

009-1.jpg

Plus other parts.

010-1.jpg

Managed to forget to pick one of these up at Telford :wall:Nice to see a build report up so quickly and that the fit is far better then the early Mk Spit.

I started mine this weekend and for some reason my upper wing appears smaller than the lower wing. Sounds strange written down, but there's a ledge all around the outer edge of the upper wing where it mates to the lower. Not a big deal as I can fill it, but cleaning up the edge is going to remove some detail. I've got another and will try again, but I hope it's a one-off.

Other than that, it's a lovely build. Very relaxing and coming together nicely.

As to Finnish decals, Aeromaster did HC-454 on sheet 72-024. The same sheet also has a Rumanian subject along with some Mk II's.

Tim

Is this the model the Finns used in the Winter War ? If so, are there any Finnish decal options to be had anywhere ?

My old friend George Low covered Finnish subjects comprehensively in his Galdecal range. I'm sure he had a Hurricane sheet but it might be a bit problematic to track down now. I wouldn't be too surprised to see a Finnish example from Airfix in the fullness of time.

John

Is this the model the Finns used in the Winter War ? If so, are there any Finnish decal options to be had anywhere ?

This is the correct model for some of the Finnish Hurricanes. Aside from the one Mk.II captured from the Soviets, the Finnish Hurricanes were a mix of fabric-winged Mk.1's and a few rewinged Mk.1's. All had been built as Fabric-winged examples.

I started mine this weekend and for some reason my upper wing appears smaller than the lower wing. Sounds strange written down, but there's a ledge all around the outer edge of the upper wing where it mates to the lower. Not a big deal as I can fill it, but cleaning up the edge is going to remove some detail. I've got another and will try again, but I hope it's a one-off.

Other than that, it's a lovely build.

Tim

Hopefully you won't have done anything to the wing yet....! To quote Tony OT...

"Also,...the lower wing halves are longer than the upper halves but they are supposed to be like that so don`t trim them to the same size!"

Hope I'm not too late!

Hopefully you won't have done anything to the wing yet....! To quote Tony OT...

"Also,...the lower wing halves are longer than the upper halves but they are supposed to be like that so don`t trim them to the same size!"

Hope I'm not too late!

Length I get, but it's all around the leading and trailing edge as well. Almost like the chord of the upper half is a scale inch short on leading edge and trailing edge, as compared to lower half.

Too late to photo as I've filled and filed.

Tim

So Hardtarget if I've understood well you can build the early or the same version of the Hurricane with fabric covered wings. Ver very very good! I've been waiting for it for such a long time ....

What I cannot see in your pictures or read in your lines is wether there is the tubulare structure of the cockpit. It seems there's the bottom and the back but the sides......?

Anyway and in any case thanks to the good old Airfix that introduced me in the magic world of modelling withe the series 1 poly bag.

Ezio

(...)

The good thing with this kit is that there two smaller sprues D/E D being the two blade and early rudder, early fuselarge under belly and E being the 3 blade, later rudder and later under belly so you can make either from this boxing.

(..)