My first Tank

robvulcan

Hi all I thought I would post this very short and fast build of my first ever tank. Just because as its my first its special.

However the kit is not special its the Amourfast T-34, Very nice cute and small. simple too.

She has a great fit and was swayed by the range the price and that you get 2 in the box for 7.50 whats not to like..

I have got the hull together and sprayed a base coat on to startpainting.

Any suggestions for track colour I was gonna go for a dark silver with a wash..

null_zpsda226c18.jpg

null_zps4aed671d.jpg

Cheers Rob

I am now brushing on the green I was not sure which to use but the closest I reckoned I had was hu117, So thats it for this one,. There is no decals with the kit. any suggestions ?

Cheers Rob

null_zps0a4e2f68.jpg

null_zps4e6c80ac.jpg

I thought I would use my old friend mr blue tak for this one.

null_zpse68a6060.jpg

null_zpsb947db8d.jpg

null_zps594e36b4.jpg

null_zps9fa4bb63.jpg

Then I gave it a wash just to add a bit of tone as this is being constructed for tomorrow morning for someone to use in a quick film.

Cheers Rob

Nice job Rob.....The detail may be a bit lacking, but the general shape of Armorfast kits tends to be pretty good. Their biggest weak spot is of course the running gear. :pipe:

If you want some decals, PM with your address, I'll find something suitably patrotic for you! Za Rodinu! :viking:

If you fancy trying the very best 1/72 Quick Build T-34 (Panther D, Tiger I or IS-2) there, get the Zvezda kits.....They are better than many s called 'full' kits! Unfortunately they are priced closer to 'full' kits too, but they're worth every penny. B)

PS - Just noticed it's for tomorrow.....The offer of decals still stands, for your other kit.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Many thanks mate I think it will be late for this one but if you are happy to send me some that would be great for the next one.

Cheers Rob.

Here she is now.

t3434334_zps15bf04bc.jpg

2323_zpsd3f796ed.jpg

t3334_zpsbfa24728.jpg

t343_zps6031b9bb.jpg

t34d_zps041f1c38.jpg

t34c_zps8a81b8ef.jpg

t34b_zpsc4297ab6.jpg

t34a_zpsd8e8e203.jpg

t34_zpse814557c.jpg

I have probably got it all wrong. I love tanks but know little about them and this is my first.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Unmistakably a T-34, possibly a bit dark on the paintwork front, it's hard to tell for sure with the wonderfully moody lighting in your pics.....Overall I'd say a very commendable first attempt! :thumbsup: .

Might be worth using a paler basecoat (pick the colour you like most, then add buff, cream or white to it) and being a little more judicious & selective with where you use washes as it appears to have darkened your paintwork up significantly and also may have formed a bit of a tidemark around the turret (a coarse pencil eraser may sort that out).....If you look up pin-washes, you won't go far wrong. :pipe:

So will you be doing more armour? :hmmm:

I hear there may be a GB coming up! :whistle:

• Like 1

Unmistakably a T-34, possibly a bit dark on the paintwork front, it's hard to tell for sure with the wonderfully moody lighting in your pics.....Overall I'd say a very commendable first attempt! :thumbsup: .

Might be worth using a paler basecoat (pick the colour you like most, then add buff, cream or white to it) and being a little more judicious & selective with where you use washes as it appears to have darkened your paintwork up significantly and also may have formed a bit of a tidemark around the turret (a coarse pencil eraser may sort that out).....If you look up pin-washes, you won't go far wrong. :pipe:

So will you be doing more armour? :hmmm:

I hear there may be a GB coming up! :whistle:

Hi thanks mate. Yes the photos are Little desaturated to add mood to them. I used hu117 which is pretty light but I did slap the was on thick in a rush. I figured as I had no decals I would make it look very dirty to stop it looking so bland.

It look like RAF green now..

It will get some Precision Ice and Snow on soon On the next one I will take on your advice and lighten it up a bit. Seems Russian green is hard to capture.

Cheers Rob ;)

Very nice effort. I'm just starting on my first tank and it's also the same as yours. I'm trying to get some Eureka towing cables for it to add some detail to its somewhat sparse exterior. I have found some patriotic slogans to go on later. I'll probably use Vallejo Russisn green and then weather it. Yours has inspired me and the pictures are excellent. Well done.

• Like 1

Cracking effort there - wish my first tank was that well done; instead of the six year old child's masterpiece it ended up looking like!

Pete

• Like 1

Cheers Guys. I heres what your saying about it being a bit sparse detail wise. But its been fun. It took me right back to childhood. Best bit Is I have another to muck about with.

as for a first effort on a tank Its definitely not my first model which makes things easier. Its also cool that unlike aircraft were your lining up wings the tanks are nice and boxy.

I may do some more to it yet before I post In RFI. Cheers Rob

That's a lot better than my first tank. :goodjob: those Armourfast models are great to learn weathering on. Do one then do a few others before doing the other, you'll be amazed at how much better you can get very quickly.

The Russian Green is known as 4B0 and was unusual in that it darkened as it aged. After a long enough period it would be almost Humbrol 66. It was much lighter when first applied and Humbrol 117 is near enough.

Tracks start off with a brown colour, Russian tracks have a high manganese content so go for a dark gold/orange brown. Heavy dry brush with the same mixed with 10% silver. Then a lighter brush with 10% brown in silver. Guide teeth and the surface where the road wheels run along the track can be picked out with a soft pencil, I use 2B and the same for the metal rims of wheels.

To get a clean edge to the road-wheel tyres use paint thinned slightly and don't paint right up to the inner edge, let capillary action and gravity do the last half mil.

I can't help with other weathering as I'm just learning that myself.

Armour models carry the Eureka towing cables and Steve is another nice guy.

I'd agree wholeheartedly with all of the above advice, except the bit about using metallic paint in your mix for track colour.....Just use browns & greys and add all of the metallic touches with the pencil as described, metallic paint is just too overpowering for small scale armour (might work OK for bigger stuff though). :pipe::nerd:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Thanks very much for all the tips guys I may take a look at the tracks again and get some brown on there... I take it thats to reflect rust more than dirt or am I wrong.

I have some stuff I have never used that I bought from a model railway supplier. It would likely be useful for tanks. Its very VERY fine Iron dust that you apply with pva and then later add vinegar and you get real rust in scale. You can even get bubbled paint effects too.

Cheers Rob

I have some stuff I have never used that I bought from a model railway supplier. It would likely be useful for tanks. Its very VERY fine Iron dust that you apply with pva and then later add vinegar and you get real rust in scale. You can even get bubbled paint effects too.

Now that sounds super - what is it called?

Pete

• Like 1

Hi my rust is just a bag of very fine iron filings i got off ebay and never used. Quite dangerous too if you get in your eyes food etc...

However here are some more links you might try.

http://www.deluxematerials.com/download/RealRust-pg1.pdf

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/dolls-houses/glues-$4-scenic-products/deluxe-materials-scenic-rust

http://www.modernoptions.com/

• Like 1

Thanks Rob, something to think about!!

Pete

• Like 1

Rob, as a matter of interest did you leave the headlight off intentionally or like me did you not see it on the instructions? I was about to throw the sprue away when I saw it nestling looking like an bit of excess plastic. :winkgrin:

Rob, as a matter of interest did you leave the headlight off intentionally or like me did you not see it on the instructions? I was about to throw the sprue away when I saw it nestling looking like an bit of excess plastic. :winkgrin:

Hi nope I missed it. I did not find the instructions that useful to be honest. Especially as I am not overly familiar with the subject. All the smaller details I was looking at on the sides confused me when looking online at others builds it seems there were many variations.... So I just did what I could. I will possibly add the light later. I did not know what it was till now.. Cheers Rob ;)

Hi Again

The Sarge is quite correct about the silver being a bit too much in 72/76 scale. Works great in 48th though.

Thanks for the correction.

Rob, the brown is to reflect the colour of the link when cast as much as rust. A vehicle parked overnight will get spots of bright rust on the tracks but these will be removed very quickly once the beast is moving. Most armies use a bitumen type paint to stop corrosion before the links are fitted, I'm not sure about the Russians doing this. Your iron filing material looks like a great way to achieve the 'overnight' look.

I need to get my head out the clouds always building planes and pay more attention to what a tank does. Wade though anything with ease and basically crush or blow up anything in thier path. It's easy to forget when just looking at a tank still and lifeless what they can do when they come alive. I just discovered the flailer tank that looks like a scary thing to argue with !

I need to get my head out the clouds always building planes and pay more attention to what a tank does. Wade though anything with ease and basically crush or blow up anything in thier path. It's easy to forget when just looking at a tank still and lifeless what they can do when they come alive. I just discovered the flailer tank that looks like a scary thing to argue with !

Not as scary as a Churchill Crocodile though. :analintruder: