Hello All

Just joined, so I'd like to share my latest model; an Academy 1/48 CH-53E. Before that, a few things though. This is both my first chopper, and my first attempt at using my new airbrush, so be gentle :P

IMG_1146.JPG

IMG_1149.JPG

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1145.JPG

Big, isn't it?

I know its not completely accurate (rotor markings especially) but it adds a bit of colour to an otherwise grey model. I did have soem trouble with the decals; they just wouldn't sit on the model. Not sure if it was because I didn't use enough gloss, or because the kit was 2nd hand and had been stored somewhere moist, so it doesn't have as all the markings it should, but not much I can do now.

Comments appreciated

Cheers

Anirudh

• Like 5

Thanks guys I really appreciate the compliments. Airbrushes are pretty great, so much quicker and cleaner than trying to brush paint something. Dave, you're right, it is probably too clean for a CH-53, I will probably go back and do a heavier wash over it, not just along the panel lines.

Beastie: Its a well engineered kit with good detail, and it goes together pretty well for the most part. I'd take care when adding the interior "skins" to the outer fuselage halves as they need to be in exactly the right position otherwise the interior roof and floor parts don't fit correctly and you end up with a few gaps when joining the two halves.

Aside from that not much to say really, its a very nice kit. If you want more detail, the Eduard cockpit set is very nice and pre-printed, and their exterior set has some really nice parts, especially the various mesh grills. Finally, if you're building it with the M2s I'd look for replacements, as they are a bit under-detailed.

• 1 year later...

Great job and congratulations, it's big model to build this one. If I may offer a little help add a dark gray wash to the etched grill areas just to lift them. They look flat and with little contrast to the rest of the airframe. Remember, there is a void behind each of them which is (usually) dark. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Colin