Jaguar E-Type Roadster

Got this in the stash too, :thumbsup2:

must admit that when I first opened the box to look at the plastic my first thoughts were "bin it" :weep:

it really is a nasty kit, :yikes:

But after seeing yours might just give it a go

how did you deal with the sink marks in the bonnet?

Nice Work :thumbsup:

Martin :viking:

The kit is crude, simplistic, ill-fitting, badly moulded and not particularly accurate. Apart from that it's not bad. DBOstream has performed wonders to make it look that good.

What one wants, but what is surprisingly difficult to find, is the 1/24 Gunze Sangyo one that was also Heller and Airfix badged at various times (not to be confused with the ancient 1/32 Airfix one).

Heller did a fixed-head too, but don;t think I've ever actually seen one.

how did you deal with the sink marks in the bonnet?

The only sink mark I have noticed, to the right of the left head light, I left as it was, I don't think it is too noticible. My bonnet was damaged at the very front which I fixed using some putty.

Edited by dbostream

I have the Gunze-Sango mega-kit in my stash. It looks like a serious project that I'll get on with at some point.

There are FAR more metal parts than plastic.

You've done wonders with this kit, which is now well known as one of the WORST E type kits around.

My hat off to you sir.

A great result.

Roy.

well done on turning a poor kit into a clean and pleasing end result. your commitment is to be applauded.

the gunze roadster kit is a slightly cruder ( in my opinion ) offering than the heller coupe, the overall shape seems slightly more pleasing, the heller offers more crisp detail, gunze has an awful soft rubber door cards. i have an airfix hi tech roadster, its the gunze kit with all the oily bits made in white metal, they are all a better start than the revell kit.

well done on turning a poor kit into a clean and pleasing end result. your commitment is to be applauded.

the gunze roadster kit is a slightly cruder ( in my opinion ) offering than the heller coupe, the overall shape seems slightly more pleasing, the heller offers more crisp detail, gunze has an awful soft rubber door cards. i have an airfix hi tech roadster, its the gunze kit with all the oily bits made in white metal, they are all a better start than the revell kit.

Gunze did two versions of the kit.

One was fairly simple with no real 'innards' and the other was the Airfix high-tech kit (which Airfix did after Gunze)

I've got the high tech one, and there's nothing I can find in it that's crude.

The plastic parts are Tamiya standard and in terms of plastic bits, there are about a dozen in all.

Maybe mine was a very early one when the moulds were fresh and new.

There are about ten or more little bags full of metal parts, etched bits, even little bags of tiny rivets and bolts.

I agree about the daft soft rubber stuff they used for the door panels but once fixed in place, they will probably look and feel more like 'real' leather (vinyl!) door panels than plastic. Even the chrome inner door trim strips are included in metal.

I've also built the Heller coupe and trust me - it's AWFUL.

The parts really are badly moulded, huge sink marks and dire fit.

Believe it or not though, it's still better than the Revell version.

The build done here should be a good inspiration to anyone who has the Revell kit.

It just shows what can be done.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

sorry roy, the crude comment is about the shape around the back light area on the gunze/airfix kit, i quite like it overall, i bought 4 of them just to prove that point. i agree with what you say about the white metal bits in the hi tech version. i modified my heller kit, so fit was not an issue.

What one wants, but what is surprisingly difficult to find, is the 1/24 Gunze Sangyo one that was also Heller and Airfix badged at various times (not to be confused with the ancient 1/32 Airfix one).

Heller did a fixed-head too, but don;t think I've ever actually seen one.

I've had both these kits in my For Sale listing for weeks now . . . (admittedly 'Collect at Telford').

Nick