1/24 Typhoon vs. 1/48 Vulcan

blueliner

From my insignificant point of view those by far too many scales don't do our hobby really good.

They should have concentrated on lets say 1/ 576, 1/288, 1/144, 1/72, 1/36 and 1/18 for everything including electrical model railways, ships, armor and cars.

Or maybe 1/640, 1/320, 1/160, 1/80, 1/40 and 1/20

I don't see a reason why we have 1/32, (1/35) 1/48 AND 1/72,they are too close together

Far too late now I am afraid

Edited by occa

I think Airfix are doing the right thing, well at least for me, there is no way I would buy a 1/48th scale Vulcan at any price, even free, but this Tiffie has got me thinking, one bubble top (shark mouth) and one car door look very likely to be bought but most likely never built. Now to find a Mossie (also one that will most likely never get built). Looking forward with great anticipation to the 18th of December though, want to see what other goodies Airfix will grace us with in the new year.

Edited by Charlie Hugo

Well, I am very happy that Airfix see a market for a model like this. Perhaps the Doom-Sayers who've predicted the end of our hobby because 'All kids want is computer games' will take note....

Not my cup of tea but I have a friend who worships Nigella Lawson, another Kiera Knightley, another Sylvia Syms and I know that Charlize Theron beats them all :heart:

So this year I forgive Airfix, next year however there should be a British WW1 tank in 48th with styrene link and length tracks, MkIV would be best....and a 72nd Beaufighter, and a 48th Vampire T11.

Hi all;

Just to add a point to the original post...

I don't think the fact that this kit is 1/24 will make any difference to the sales. I was the buyer at Midland Counties before it went t*ts up. The Airfix Mosquito and Tamiya Spitfire came in around the same time, and I was told time and time again that the Spit would totally outstrip the sales of the Mossie...mainly because the Mossie was too big.

In the first month, we sold 120 Mossies and 32 Tamiya Spits. The sales remained that way. I imagine the Typhoon will do just as well.

Regards;

Steve

• Like 4

I will be buying the Typhoon but would not get the 1/48 Vulcan even for free. Horses for courses. I normally do Helicopters and then only in 72nd scale. Not sure to do just the bubble top or buy 2 and door the car door as well.

I have never airbrushed anything this big before so looking forward to it.

Rodders

A 1-48 Vulcan would be cool but I doubt I would buy one. Similar to the Typhoon - it looks awsome from the pictures here and I am happy that Airfix is behind this great looking kit. After the Javelin I see a bright future for Airfix :-D

I usually do RAF in 1:48 scale so a Vulcan in 1:48 would be fitting - but not my display shelf I fear (it would be about 60 cm x 70 cm). So a new tool 1:72 Vulcan would be much nicer for me I guess. Just personally of course.

Rene

Good point! So that's 4 paint schemes. Covers the post war as well.

9_48.jpg

I'd treat this TT scheme with a high degree of suspicion. Despite many a search through official records I have never found reference to Typhoons used as targettugs. No photos, no docs, no vets recollections. I know drawings appear in the Valiant wings book but I'm equally suspicious of those. If anyone has primary evidence I'd love to see it.

However, you can add another colour scheme to the list. When the RNZAF Typhoon squadron, no.486, equipped with Typhoons in mid-42 they were intended to utilise them on Turbinlite co-op. Before this unlikely scheme was abandoned they had several aircraft painted with black (Night) undersides and red codes.

CT

• Like 1

Im going to be burned in effigy but in historical terms isnt the Typhoon a more significant aircraft?

Three years of combat vs. 30 years of being the front line RAF deterrent and helping win the only major conflict the RAF was involved in since WWII?? What's "more significant" is a highly personal and highly charged question. You tell me which is more significant historically.

I hadn't even finished typing "one color scheme" than I knew someone was coming up with something to prove me wrong. But you'll note that even the black/yellow striped airplane is still DG/OG just like every other Tiffie. My point (apparently completely lost here) was that the Tiffie simply doesn't have a wide variety of possible colors and markings. Even compared to something like a Hurricane or a Spitfire, it's a one trick pony.

Three years of combat vs. 30 years of being the front line RAF deterrent and helping win the only major conflict the RAF was involved in since WWII?? What's "more significant" is a highly personal and highly charged question. You tell me which is more significant historically.

Let me see .... Major part in blinding the German radar for D-Day, major German beachhead threatening counter attack defeated, several German HQs and staff wiped out, most significant support aircraft for British and Canadian armies in NW Europe campaign, 220,000 RP fired, several thousand bombs dropped ... Versus .... One bomb on a runway in a relatively minor war and 28 years of the Russians trembling in their boots ... Difficult, very difficult.

CT

• Like 6

It makes me smile reading some of the negativity around the hobby. Me, well, it's not something that I'm going to rush out and buy, now or for the foreseeable. But I am amazed at the engineering and detail that Airfix have put into this, and am absolutely convinced that it will not flop.

Bravo Airfix and hey, you never know, one day I might be in need of a 24 scale challenge.

For me it has to be the 1/24th Tiffie, every time, I'd have no interest in a 1/48th Vulcan although I do have a 1/72nd scale one in the stash (that will eventually end up as a 35 Sqn jet, so I'm no Vulcan hater, it's just the thought of a 1/48th Vulcan does not excite me in the same way that a 1/24th Tiffie does.

There's no argument over the significance of either, one bought the peace that the other kept, they're both significant.

I'm glad that Airfix has done this, please can we have a 1/24th Tempest followed by a 1/24th Gladiator, I'd much rather them than a 1/48th Vulcan.

Wez

My opinion FWIW is that the Tiffie is a good subject for Airfix to make a statement about where they currently are.- a flagship or sort of Faberge egg in plastic.

For this sort of thing, in 1:24, not a subject done before and at the same time ticking the British icon box (and a 1944 tie in, to boot) - it ticks all the boxes

However impressive an aeroplane the Vulcan is (I remember something called the 'Vulcan scramble' at Waddington airshows in the 70s), the Typhoon is a better subject to show off with. Think the 60lb rockets/bombs, exposed cannons and that engine. As for the colour scheme - yes, essentially one - but enlivened by invasion markings/shark's mouth.

I will probably buy on, should have enough money saved by Xmas 2014

I hadn't even finished typing "one color scheme" than I knew someone was coming up with something to prove me wrong. But you'll note that even the black/yellow striped airplane is still DG/OG just like every other Tiffie. My point (apparently completely lost here) was that the Tiffie simply doesn't have a wide variety of possible colors and markings. Even compared to something like a Hurricane or a Spitfire, it's a one trick pony.

Hi Jennings

Tiffie schemes in non DFS are rare, but exist

eg the desert trials planes

451_Squadron_El_Daba_Typhoon_Mk_Ib_DN323

from this thread

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234949833-hawker-typhoon-1b-africa-references-needed/

and Chris has info on one Tiffie stripped back to NMF post war

see here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234939136-post-ww2-hawker-typhoon/?hl=typhoon

using info from Chris, david womby made this model

P1010005_zpsdf8d2b92.jpg

see here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234944194-a-quickie-post-ww2-typhoon/?hl=typhoon

The early planes with yellow ID stripes, and also with white nose are pretty eye catching too.

cheers

T

Interesting comparison. I'm honestly unlikely to buy either. One's an uninteresting subject in a scale I build (Vulcan), the other is a very interesting subject in a scale I don't build (Typhoon). I might buy the Typhoon at some point, just for fun.

Oh, and I don't have anything against the Vulcan, I just build primarily RCAF and Ilmavoimat subjects, and generally aircraft which served between 1935 and 1955, so the Vulcan loses out on both counts while the Typhoon is an extremely significant type for me from its 2 TAF service.

It wasn't lost here. When you used the words "exactly one color scheme" I was just pointing out that it had a few schemes, although it is a bit limited. It didn't stop Airfix doing the TRS.2 (and the fact that is was only a test aircraft). Lets hope they also produce a Tempest from it to give some more options.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

Hi All,

At the risk of having a mob with pitchforks turn up at my front door, I have to say that in my opinion the Vulcan has to be one of the ugliest and least interesting aircraft ever flown. To this day I am surprised that anyone would want to build a kit of one in any scale for any reason.

Cheers,

Daniel.

• Like 3

Hi All,

At the risk of having a mob with pitchforks turn up at my front door, I have to say that in my opinion the Vulcan has to be one of the ugliest and least interesting aircraft ever flown. To this day I am surprised that anyone would want to build a kit of one in any scale for any reason.

Cheers,

Daniel.

You have a strange idea of what's ugly, but hey, in the eye of the beholder and all that.

This is what I call ugly.

1317899787_il-20-1.jpg

E175FAF0C4164D219FDF900F3B4DF654.jpg

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1