1/72 - de Havilland DH.82 Tiger Moth by Airfix - released - new boxing in September 2024

Homebee

Source: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234949713-any-other-new-telford-news/page-3
Airfix is to release a new tool 1/72nd de Havilland DH.82 Tiger Moth kit - ref.????

On 10/11/2013 at 23:55, Stuflyer said:

I had heard rumours of the Tiggie, so went up to Simon ( chief researcher) at the Airfix stand and asked him, he was holding something, which he handed to me and said "Yes, here are the sprues, we were just putting it out, cos it would have been a bit overshadowed yesterday"
I can't say just how good it ( and of course the magnificent Typhoon) is.

On 11/11/2013 at 00:24, Rabbit Leader said:

I dare say, did anyone happen to snap any photos of the Tiger Moth sprues?
And I wonder if Airfix will be posting any youtube videos about the big Tiff.. Judging by some photos here it appears they may have had a very interesting PowerPoint presentation. I for one would love to see this.

Cheers.. Dave

To be followed...

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely looking set of decals. But on closer study it seems the Aussie and South African examples are illustrated with the upper rear fuselage as fabric over stringers. Now I know this is correct as earlier built examples had this type of fuselage before the wooden smooth fuselage upper deck. Now, this makes it interesting as the Airfix kit most probably will not be tooled with the earlier upper fuselage decking as so few of these were about. So this means, to complete the schemes mentioned, the fuselage will have to be modded to suit or an aftermarket replacement fuselage need to be produced. OR... are the decal drawings/diagrams misleading!!!???

I knew it!

The moment I go mad trying to paint the Oxford University crest on a Tiger Moth cowling, and tear my hair out over OUAS's ridiculously non-standard sized code letters, some smart alec releases a decal sheet with it all on a plate!

Hmph! :P

DSCF8515_zps6e73ed2e.jpg

• Like 2

Paul: there are other differences between (eg) RAF and RAAF Tiger Moths, and I doubt that they are represented on transfer instruction sheets either. I don't expect them to be, but it would be nice.

I was a little surprised that there's no early war example with the mid-fuselage demarcation between the green/brown and the Yellow, nor any late-war example with the yellow wingtips. But it is impossible to do more than sample the possibilities with this aircraft. There's certainly enough to justify at least a second sheet - if the first one sells, of course.

• Like 1

Paul: there are other differences between (eg) RAF and RAAF Tiger Moths, and I doubt that they are represented on transfer instruction sheets either. I don't expect them to be, but it would be nice.

I was a little surprised that there's no early war example with the mid-fuselage demarcation between the green/brown and the Yellow, nor any late-war example with the yellow wingtips. But it is impossible to do more than sample the possibilities with this aircraft. There's certainly enough to justify at least a second sheet - if the first one sells, of course.

I agree ! Love to see a 1940 example!

I'm liking that one in the post war scheme, the silver with the undersides in yellow, very nice!

Hope the Airfix kit comes with the blind flying hood.

Wez

• Like 1

I'm liking that one in the post war scheme, the silver with the undersides in yellow, very nice!

Hope the Airfix kit comes with the blind flying hood.

Wez

If it didn't , would it be easy to make one? I've never seen anyone make one before.

If it didn't , would it be easy to make one? I've never seen anyone make one before.

I tried making one before for a Harvard, I used some wire and tissue paper and glued it all together with PVA, once painted and folded up it looked OK but that's just it, it looked OK.

I suppose if I had more practice I could make it look better but I can't say I was pleased or enjoyed doing it enough to want to do it again.

Sorry, I meant to say, nice Tiggie Vulcanicity.

Wez

Edited by Wez

I suspect it is too small a piece to be worthwhile unless it could be linked to other pieces - the bombracks are probably too finicky for 1/72 plastic and there's too much involved in a Canadian machine or Sea Tiger.

You could just buy an AZ Tiger, for that comes with the blind flying hood (folded) and some interesting transfers, to choice.

Edited by Graham Boak

The Airfix chap I spoke to said that the camo over yellow scheme would be the one in the first release in January. ( they are doing an RAF one in Jan and a civil one around June)

Photos of any non-standard camouflaged British Tiggies from WW2 (Desert or Temperate Sea Scheme, 'blue' SEAC roundels, a.s.o.) desperately needed, please.

Sorry for repeating :)

I've not seen the others, but suspect I have seen a desert-camouflaged one. If it is not in Stuart Mackay's opus on the Tiger (a must for all fans of the aircraft) then the place to look is in early Aeroplane Monthlys. They ran a large number of photos taken in the desert by Howard Levy(?) which included a number of unusual types. They may have been published elsewhere, but I know not.

• 2 weeks later...

Will these kits be released with optional rear fuselage strakes?

From the box art it seems like the Military versions don't have them, whilst the civvy schemed does..

Cheers.. Dave