Revell 1/72 Sopwith Camel +++ FINISHED +++

CliffB

Thank Col and Adrian.

Well the wrapping is now off...

P1080780_zpsde5cca33.jpg

This dazzle camo Camel is for real, being the personal mount of Capt Laurence Coombes, when he was an instructor with 204 TDS at Eastchurch in late 1918. Whilst the plane certainly existed (I've seen one black and white photo), you have to wonder how much info is actually known about the full pattern and colours. My model is based on some modern artwork, which is as good as it's likely to get I guess.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your kind comments :)

I've had a busy weekend, so little chance to get on with the Camel. Some progress though, as I managed to get the national markings on.

P1080781_zps596f7934.jpg

The blue on the kit's decal sheet was very pale, but worse than this the wing roundels were slightly too big to fit (at least to my tidied up wings). I therefore had to resort to my spares box for some replacements. Unfortunately this has brought with it, its own compromises, particularly the style of the fuselage roundels. I'm not going to fret about it though, as the dazzle is what this model is all about.

Next task will be the serial decals (to under-wing and rudder). More decals to be sourced and undoubtedly more compromises too!

Thanks for looking

Cliff

Bravissimo! Looking so good.

Pete

That looks absolutely stunning cliff. As regards pale blue on the roundels I am not sure in what sense you mean pale but from my understanding WW1 era were a lot brighter than the blues used in WW2 and Postwar machines.

Its looking absolutely marvellous what a challenge you have set yourself for someone wanting to get their mojo back and painting not being their favourite you have sure set yourself a task here and you have done a glorious job of it.

Are you going to do any rigging ?

Cheers Rob ;)

Thanks everyone for your continuing support.

I don't know who did design the camo, but it would be interesting to find out, and to see whether it was governed by any scientific principles?

Rob, I know what you mean about the different WW1 roundel blue colour. The kit's decals just looked weird to me though, slightly turquoise maybe. Here's a scan, which may show what I mean.

Roundels_zpsf8a1a7d3.jpg

The sheet at the top is the Camel's (Revell 1992), bottom right is the sheet from a more recent release of Revell's Triplane (2008), while bottom left is what I used, which come from a mid 90s release by Revell of Matchbox's Norseman. The roundels are for a WWII RCAF machine. Take your pick!

I will be adding a little rigging, but just the main structural stuff - no control cables this time.

It was serendipitous really that I chose this model for my 'comeback'. We've got our club's Christmas party and competition in a couple of weeks time with the theme 'Revell kits'. I have a few Revell, but all others (bar the Tripehound), are much more involved and I wouldn't have got them done in the few weeks that I've had. Plus, I'd signed up to this GB way back when it was first muted and the Camel obviously fitted in with this too. Fingers crossed that the dazzle may get a few votes in the comp, although it may prove a bit much after a few drinks :sick: !

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

You would get my vote Cliff I wish I was free to come along on Tuesday nights. Maybe one day when I have the odd week I am off I could come along and see what its all about.

I have noticed that Revell kits while largely excellent and usually your sure of a good build are sadly quite often let down by poor decals.

Not every kit but enough for me to wish Revell would improve their decals.

However I was pleased that the Meteor MK4 I built recently was excellent in this department as well as the kit.

It does fascinate me how these lavish finishes were appearing on slow moving military Aircraft. The only thing I can think of is Bravery or an attitude of "if they hit me they hit me"

I would have stuck to the olive drab if I was flying one in the war..

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Norman Wilkinson, I believe, was responsible for 'razzle-dazzle'.

There was a fairly recent book, "Churchill's Wizards", by Nicholas Rankin that covered British military deception 1914-45 and was a good read.

The idea was not to conceal but to deceive: "The object of camouflage is rather to give the impression that your head is where your stern is",

John.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So it's finished at last!

P1080788_zps1487be89.jpg

P1080790_zpsfbb8745d.jpg

More images in the Gallery.

The final sting in the tail was that the cabane struts are too long and needed some trimming.

Otherwise it's been a fun build, that's got my mojo going again!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

You've created a wee cracker there and as if rigging one of these wasn't bad enough picked the most complicated scheme I've ever seen on a model.

• Like 1