Airfix 1/72 Heinkel 111 - end of term report

AdrianMF

you're actually making me want to start my Airfix Ju88!!!!

I think you should put the box down slo-o-owly, step away from the box and have a little lie down until the urge passes. It's probably no worse than this one though!

Regards,

Adrian

I think you should put the box down slo-o-owly, step away from the box and have a little lie down until the urge passes. It's probably no worse than this one though!

Regards,

Adrian

I know, I saw the light blue plastic of doom, followed by the 'canopy' and thought the same thing. Still, nothing like a challenge. I had actually considered it for this GB funnily enough, but am very glad I didn't!!

Chris

OK, before I go totally insane, please explain how & what. I know where and why already ;)

The cowlings are constructed from back and front plastic card bulkheads traced from the plan, separated by a profile also traced from the plan, bulked up by some balsa, with a plastic card channel for the exhaust "furrow" on each side. They are then liberally covered with two part wood filler, which started to turn to cheese before I could smooth it down. That stuff is fast! So in the picture you are looking side on at the exhaust channel, with filler each side of it.

There has been quite a lot of sanding going on since then. Hopefully I will get some pictures in tomorrow, which will be it for me for this group build since I am working away from home next week :(

Regards,

Adrian

If this doesn't make the deadline it will just have to be that way. I am sure we will all want to follow its updates in WiP and finally in RFI as you progress. It really is stunning and it would be wrong on so many levels to rush and not finish it to the superb standard you have achieved so far.

Dave

Hello All,

I have had a great time on this GB, both doing my own 1 (and two DNFs) and looking at all the other great builds going on around me!

I've got to pack up and go away for a week, so here's where I got to with the pesky Airfix He111:

First up, what about the fluffy cowlings? Here they are, sanded down and fitted. It's an H-1, so it has a short air intake made from a slice of drinking straw. Wooden masters for the vac formed radiator bath and oil cooler scoop are shown too. The oil cooler has been faired in with a smear of filler and there's a little bit of tissue pushed in to stop the see through effect. The radiator is a tad too rounded but it's an improvement on the kit part (shown here alongside with kit cowling). The dished front housing is made from card heated and stretched over the back of a spoon. Holes were marked out with a PowerPoint diagram on paper tacked to the front while I marked the centres, then drilled with a 1.75 mm drill. Wheels have been thickened by a 1 mm plastic card insert and tarted up with some tread scribing and a rim on the hub, and the wheel wells have been scratched out of card. Scribing is a bit too deep - one or two passes next time, not three!

IMG_4177_zpsd301f158.jpg

I'm rather pleased with the cockpit. Here are three gratuitous pictures:

IMG_4171_zps80eba1bd.jpgIMG_4172_zps7a5fd256.jpg

IMG_4173_zps591c854e.jpg

The knobs are made from acrylic paint. The smear of yellow on the side wall is invisible to the naked eye, but very visible to the camera! I will overpaint it.

Transparencies are coming along. Here's the main cockpit and the B stand cover. Note that the main cockpit master has been extended by 3 mm - I will return to this topic later...

IMG_4174_zpsde62541e.jpg

And here's all the bits pulled together:

IMG_4169_zps2eff9d15.jpg

IMG_4170_zpsdd8bad6b.jpg

What is apparent from the dry fit with the new engines is that the fuselage is about 10 mm too short, all of it in front of the wing. This effect is offset in the kit by the tiny engines, so I didn't see it until putting the modified components together. The other problem is that the wing is too low/thin/flat so the whole thing sits more like a DH88 Comet than a Heinkel 111. Having got this far I'm going to have to fix it. The plan (when I get back) is to move the wing back 5 mm and mould a slightly longer cockpit to take care of the longitudinal problems, and then raise the incidence of the wing a few degrees to get those engines up a bit more. Buy shares in filler companies now!!

Thanks for looking and see you in WIP,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...