Airfix 1/72 Heinkel 111 - end of term report

AdrianMF

Hello All,

I have re-started an Airfix He 111, inspired by Gordon's build here.

This has been an absolute SOD (shelf of doom, natch) since 2010. I started it as my third model after coming back to the hobby and shelved it as too ambitious. I have a bad travel schedule between now and the end of this build, so I am glad to see the KUTA group build following up behind!

It's an early sixties Airfix kit, with some hi-tec cockpit detail:

IMG_0847.jpg
IMG_0860.jpg

Comparing it with plans shows it's a bit narrow in the fuselage, so I had to fix that:

IMG_0863.jpg
IMG_0865.jpg

And I wanted an H-1 so I inserted some windows from a polystyrene drinking glass:

IMG_0883.jpg

That's where I had got to. As I am going to detail the interior, make home made canopies, scratch build new accurate engines, rescribe and detail I'm calling it less than 25% done!

I've masked off the windows and cut away the solid wheel wells:

image_zps0d8afcd8.jpg

And made some progress on the interior:

image_zps639de773.jpg
image_zps6686ae1d.jpg
image_zpsbc8a8a8b.jpg

The grey is just a dark undercoat - hopefully after a trip to the Scale Model Show tomorrow I will be able to paint it with a new tin of Humbrol RLM02!

Thanks for looking,
Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 3

Hello All,

A bit more progress. I did paint up the insides with a new tin of Humbrol 240 RLM02 that I bought from Telford at the show yesterday:

image_zps45d4c584.jpg

You can also see the start of the formers for the new vac form nose canopy.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Adrian

I take my hat off to you, many of us reading this, think the kit in its original form is challenge enough when balanced with kids, job, domestic bliss etc. to enhance the model as you are doing is something else. Really enjoying following this one.

Cheers Pat

Hello All,

Canopy master time! Finally got some modelling time at 10:20 this evening so on we go!

IMG_4146_zps495b4be2.jpg

I'm using Ronseal Wood Repair two-part wood filler, mainly because I'm away for a week starting on Monday and I can't wait for milliput to dry. If you mix it with more hardener than they recommend it will harden to sanding stage in about 15 minutes (you can buy more hardener on its own). The flat panels are just bent out of card and stuck on, with some filler behind them to absorb the heat from the vac form. There is some balsa in there so technically the filler is being used for its rightful purpose!

IMG_4148_zps71d0aa07.jpg

The two halves were only tacked together so they came apart quite easily. Vac forming sometime tomorrow!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 3

Adrian

I take my hat off to you, many of us reading this, think the kit in its original form is challenge enough when balanced with kids, job, domestic bliss etc. to enhance the model as you are doing is something else. Really enjoying following this one.

Cheers Pat

What is domestic bliss?

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Adrian,

Are you trying to make us feel guilty for being lazy and not finishing our kits but instead, just watching your fantastic job on this Heinkel?

Just kidding lad!

I'm speechless by the level and quality of your job and even though I have the Revell kit, I will definitely use your build as a reference, when I finally decide to get up from my couch and start modelling again.

Thanks for showing us your fantastic work and look forward to see this kit finished!!

Cheers

Hello All,

Thanks for all the kind comments - I fully acknowledge that I was crazy to start from the Airfix kit. After a happy afternoon vac-forming I now have one I'm happy with. It's the biggest canopy I've done to date and it has been hard to get the thicker (20 thou) plastic to suck in right down to the edges of the mould, which it needs to do. It still needs a dip (or two!) in Future, which I hope will make it clearer. The flat sections have come out well and I'm pleased that the hot canopy plastic didn't melt the plastic of the mould. You can see the runners-up and the kit abomination too.

IMG_4154_zps1d99f412.jpg

And I gave the interior a light highlight and shade before I button it up and hide it forever tomorrow. I don't know how much light I will get in through the side windows, but I'm betting I won't see much!

IMG_4155_zps01c1edeb.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Let's not put our models in the same room as we might not be able to tell them apart :unsure:

Seriously, that is impressive. Now I know the meaning of "making a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

• Like 1

Now I know the meaning of "making a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

Thanks, but I prefer to think of it as "spending a lot of time on the lining before messing up the outside". I hate painting and decals, so a man's gotta do something...

Here's today's installment, interior duly lost for ever:

IMG_4161_zpsbd01c8c1.jpg

The rudder pedals aren't finished yet and need attaching to the chair mechanism - the whole chair could rise so the pilot could look out of the top of the canopy for landing apparently, which made the control layout a bit interesting. I intend to use the Airfix control column, which isn't bad (OK, I made two mods to it).

I have a question on the control panel configuration, which I will post in the WWII section, but I won't be doing anything to this for a week because I have a work trip (again). The Wyvern has also been staring at me balefully across the workbench today, too...

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

It gets better all the time!

If that was the big Revell kit then I'd be impressed by the level of detail but the fact that it's the Airfix nightmare (and I speak from experience as you know) makes it all the more incredible.

It reminds me of the loon who superdetailed a 1/144 Stuka last year!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I had a day off work today and made some progress:

IMG_4162_zpsaad2d142.jpg

IMG_4163_zpsc415292a.jpg

Just the throttle levers and overhead instrument panel to go. I will also add some more guides for the canopy - I have them on the sill and they make it all a bit more secure. You will notice I cheated and used pre-painted seat belts - unfortunately they are painted in the colours of a wine producer rather than RLM-something-or-other!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 1

IMG_4163_zpsc415292a.jpg

Not really seeing much difference between your cockpit and my OOB one - what changes have you made?

PIC_0315_zpse65dbe03.jpg

No, seriously, that is impressive! I think I'll bury my Heinkel at midnight and sprinkle salt on the ground...

Hello All,

I have a horrible feeling I'm not going to finish on time. Anyhow, here is a snap of my table just now:

image_zpsbc8e4c3a.jpg

The wings have the blank wells cut out and wheel bays added. I have cut off the radiators and vac formed new ones over a balsa pattern. The fluffy things on sticks are not a snack but the new engine cowlings! You can see the kit cowling and radiator too.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 1